Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Dealer Reviews and Comments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBig Daddy Rv - Event Date: 31 Jan 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Big Daddy Rv
    Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 9:12am
Ouch  Looking to purchase a 179. We live in Cartersville Ga., and are not opposed to making a drive to get a good price. Couch has given me a very competitive price and have been very straight forward and courteous to work with via phone and e-mail. However, Big Daddy RV in Kentucky about half the drive has repeatedly called...e-mailed trying to get my business. Anybody out there have any experience with this dealership? Furthermore, I am still trying to get a price out of my local dealership, Three Way Camper. They just shut down when I presented Couch's price and asked for there best price.
Lee Burnup
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 11:44am
My best advice is this: don't let price be your sole consideration.  A relationship with a local dealer is also very important.

Buying a new travel trailer (from any manufacturer) is not like buying a new car.  Its more like buying a new house.  Issues will crop up.  Expect to return to your dealer for warranty work after 30 days, 6 months and 1 year.  Forest River and the R-Pod are very good, quality products; in fact, they're far better built than many competitors.  But, your new one won't be perfect and you will need a reputable dealer to fix these problems; you may also need add-ons like weight distribution and sway control which may require 2 or 3 visits back for adjustments.  Its best if you go into your new purchase with these things in mind.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 12:16pm
Welcome. I think Outbound's advice is as good as you can get. He covered all the bases. However, use Couch's pricing to your advantage. No dealer wants to lose a sale, but they have to be competitive in price. Don't forget to replace that mattress before using. Check out all of the posts here on mattresses. Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 6:40pm
I agree about using their price as a bargaining chip.  When I bought mine from my "local" dealer it was priced well into the teens, I believe around $18k.  After negotiating their best price was $14k.  Then I pulled out a printout with my quote of just under $12k and suddenly their price fell within a few hundred dollars. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jj188 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 7:32pm
Welcome from fellow Cartersville ga r pod owner I bought my 178 from threeway campers didn't want the Hassle or havering to tow it a long way to get any work done on it that gets old real quick been there done that that's why I stayed close to home 

shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 9:41pm
Bought mine from Couch. Like you I found them very courteous and professional. Local dealer was a loser and neither my wife nor I wanted to deal with him. When I had a early warranty issue with the brakes, another  FR dealer took the Rpod in no questions asked, did the work, and handled all the paperwork. They're the ones who are going to get all my service work in the future. My advice: local is nice; but don't be afraid to buy online. Most questions about the Rpod can be found in this forum or other online sources.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
Lee Burnup View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 10:03pm
Thanks for all the good advice. I would like to stay local. couch is over 400 miles away and my local dealer is about 25 miles away and are an excellent dealership with a very good repair facility. Evidently my local dealership, Three Way, had tried to respond to me.....but to a slightly wrong e-mail address. They have responded about $1500 over Couch. I think I will wait until they have some on the lot with the 5 or 6 178s, they already have on the lot, and take a look and see if they are willing to negotiate to earn my business. I don't believe anybody has any 179s on the lot just yet. Any suggestions on RV financing?
Lee Burnup
jj188 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2014 at 7:56am
Georgia own credit union on 41 south at north loop took excellent care of me threeway recommended them to me
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2014 at 9:23am
If you are looking as far as Kentucky, Right Stop Rv has a 179 on the lot. They are a great dealership.
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2014 at 8:27pm
Lee, good advise from outbound and furpod. ritestop had a 179 at the Louisville boat and rv show Donna and I got to look it over. it has a great floor pan, already prewired for solar. it has external outside speakers (not that I want them, I like the quiet ) I think they had $15800 on it. I bought my 2011 RP-172 new at ritestop for $11200.00 they have a good service dept. p.s. I never had to return our pod for any warranty work.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>