Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUS tour - west & midwest states, 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: US tour - west & midwest states, 2014
    Posted: 26 May 2014 at 6:36pm
Wow, slow down and smell the asphalt.  Looks like you will be eating a lot of fast food.  Safe travels to you.  
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 6:57pm
Actually very little fast food.  Our rule is anything but fast food on camping or touring trips.  Last year's trip (almost as long as this trip) we only ate fast food twice, and one of those was because our daughter insisted on eating at Kentucky Fried Chicken while we were in KY, lol.  Later that day we just happened to go past the birthplace of KFC so we stopped there too, but only for pics.  We'll keep groceries in the pod for breakfast and lunches, and some dinners.  Other dinners we'll eat somewhere with local flavor.  We still chuckle because we had great Tex-Mex in central Texas and my one daughter ordered.... spaghetti.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 11:42pm
We are on our way, put in about 500 miles today.  Currently in OH about 10 miles before crossing into Indiana.  I added an extra 30 minutes to the trip and went down to the very end of I-70, very close to where I work.  I want to say I drove I-70 all the way from the very beginning.  I'll be on it the whole way to Denver.

Tried turning on the A/C's fan for some white noise (we are at a truck stop) and it is making a loud whine.  Yay, something else to figure out.  Luckily it is cool tonight so we don't need the A/C.
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 3:45am
Originally posted by GlennZippy

The Sand Dunes area is fun as well, but know that you are WAY out there so going for food, ice or groceries is not your ordinary milk run. Plan on cooking for yourself, and grab groceries before you get there.

And make sure your gas tank is FULL before going in.
The sand is there because a pretty strong wind pushes it in there where it gets trapped.
When I went I noticed we used say a 1/4 tank of gas going in and 1/2 tank coming out against that wind!
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 12:04am
Evening 3, we are 30 miles outside of Denver snugged in between the trucks again.  We've been fortunate with cool nights and rain-free days.  Today it finally got hot, hitting 100 F in Kansas.  Tomorrow we'll get my wife and head to RMNP.

Anyone know what the plateau is that you hit about 90 miles east of Denver?  I thought it was the CO plateau but maps online show that starting far west of here.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 9:30am
I really like parking our pod in between the trucks and the large class A rigs!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
COSPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Tomorrow we'll get my wife and head to RMNP.

I would be interested to know the route you take from Denver/25 up to RMNP/Estes Park. I'm heading up that way later in summer, and trying to decided what the best route up would be. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 11:52pm
I saw on another part of the forum that Hairy Podders saw us heading west in Kansas, we saw them heading the other way!  Now at the base of Cheyenne Mountain, this spot has a great view of the city below.  Almost too bad we have to head out early to catch the Cog Rail up Pike's Peak.  Earlier today we traveled from RMNP to the Mollie Kathleen gold mine for a tour, at one point hitting 10,200 feet - with pod in tow.  That was a haul.

We followed Google's recommendation from Denver, up I-25 to 66 and 36.  Be prepared for delays due to the repairs from the flooding.  While the electric signs said to expect up to an hour, we only spent a few minutes waiting in 2 spots.

BTW, my wife is making updates to our blog (recycled from last year):  http://gaede4inthepod.blogspot.com
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2014 at 7:36am
So Doug.  Which campground did you stay in at RMNP?  We are thinking of a fall vacation there this year but at last read several of the campgrounds were closed due to last year's flooding.  And last night our news here reported fires in the park.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Hairy Podders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2014 at 1:05pm
We took 36 from Boulder up to Estes Park. We too waited on construction delays, but only a few minutes. There is also a detour part way there onto Rt 7.from 36. I wanted to see the flooding damage. Boulder traffic is always a pain. On the way home, we took Rt. 7 to 72, to 119, to I-70 if I remember correctly. Nice road & scenic, Light traffic.
Estes Park was packed when we were there. Clearly the flooding damage hasn't kept people away....
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>