Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUS tour - west & midwest states, 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: US tour - west & midwest states, 2014
    Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 10:17pm
A few Years ago we stayed at the Cortez, Colorado KOA. Which is a few minutes drive from Mesa Verde. At that time it was ranked the second best KOA in the nation. Very impressive!
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Jayman and Splenda View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 1:40am
Looks like an awesome trip - Colorado is home for me, and I can't second (or third, fourth, or fifth) enough the "beer tour" idea.  It does look like you'll be missing Colorado's fantastic Western Slope though - Grand Junction; Colorado National Monument; across the border to Moab and Arches, UT; etc.  No offense to Georgia, but you haven't had a peach until you've had a Palisades, Co peach.  But what a fun trip you'll have!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 8:11am

Wish we could hit every stop, but in the end our kids will have seen far more of the US than I did.  Our plan is to take long, slow camping trips when we are retired.  We'll hit every stop then!

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Bubink View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 3:06pm

Sounds like an awesome trip!! Be sure to check with the Colorado DOT as to what roads are open or being worked on due to the massive flooding last year in that area (RMNP). Agree on the New Belgium tour before you head into Estes. If you're in Estes, check out the Stanley Hotel, where the Shining (TV movie version) was filmed. Gorgeous old place.

And sounds like you're taking I-80 through Nebraska and into Iowa?? Well, not to blow our own horn but Omaha has one of the best zoos in the country and it's right off the interstate. If you can't make it this time, add it to your next trip!! Then scoot down 13th street for some of the best Czech food you will find, Bohemian Cafe. (Can you tell I'm from Omaha?? Can you tell I'm Czech, lol??) Safe travels!!
2014 178
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 7:57pm
Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park is one of our favorite destinations.  We have been there every season, with Fall and the elk being our favorite.  And the Omaha zoo is great with a fabulous aquarium.  We can't do it this summer but maybe next fall.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 2:56pm
We just came back from a 11 day trip (sadly pod-less) out to Phoenix, Sedona, Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon.  There's definitely a lot to do there if you like hiking and outdoorsy stuff :)

I highly recommend Antelope Canyon in the Page area. It's on the Navajo Reservation near Lake Powell and is a gorgeous slot canyon.  You have to have a guide and it does get crowded so don't go later than 11am.  We attempted a light hike in the Grand Canyon twice but the first time our rental car broke down so we didn't and the second time it hailed heavily so was a bit dangerous on the steep trail we chose and so we turned back.  Sedona was really beautiful (if you're going that far down south) and we did most of our hiking there.  I also did some trail riding there and a few off-road jeep tours while G was working.   

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 8:54pm
Have done quite a few out west trips in the last 40 years-  one of the reasons we bought the r-pod and will be selling our Aliner is I plan to retire at any moment, don't know when I'll pull the trigger.  Kinda depends on when they next P me Off!LOL

We are going on some long trips, maybe months at a time. While we really like the Aliner it got a little small on a 19 day trip we took to explore off road trails in SW Colorado 2 summers ago.   19 days with 2 adults and two 50 lb+ dogs in a small Aliner...that trip we stayed at Haviland Lake USFS campground north of Durango.  A USFS camp with electric!  Wow- never see that where we camp in the Appalachians.

BTW first trip with the r-pod and the FJ Cruiser we got 13mpg, only 2 less than with the Aliner.  The extra room without getting too large was worth it!
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
fordtruckin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 2:31am
Where you staying in the Black Hills? If you haven't got a place, I stayed at Horse Thief Campground last year and I'd definitely go back!
Also out of curiosity where you gunna be in Yellowstone? I'm gunna be working there this summer and living in my 178. I guess my 12 trips out last summer didn't get me enough use of it so now I get to live in it for 3 months.
2014 178 Hood River Edition
2001 F150 Lariat 4x4

Toyota, Moving Forward, even when you don't want to!!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 9:52am
The plan is to stay at a truck stop the night before somewhere along I-90, then do Mt. Rushmore, possibly Crazy Horse, during the day, then drive 2 hours to the White River KOA just south of the Badlands.

We'll be staying at the Canyon Campground in Yellowstone for 3 nights.  When my parents took our family out there in '86 it was my favorite stop so I made sure we would be there several days this time.  Lucky you to stay there 3 months!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
GlennZippy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 5:24pm
The Canyon area is on of my favorite areas of Yellowstone. I haven't stayed at the campground, but based on other Xantera sites, you should be good to go.

Make sure you visit the Canyon Visitor's center. It's fairly new (4? years old I think) and is a great space. even as an adult I loved it! i personally think 3 nights is just about right if you've been to the park before. knowing you're going to also be heading to Grand Teton I can say you will love it.

We're heading out the week before July 4 and staying in Bridge Bay campground. I had a small panic attack when I looked at my reservations and found the wrong dates. Fortunately, I must have found that before since when I called them they gave the correct dates!

We've had mixed results with the Canyon restaurant though. Some times it's been fabulous, other times, not so much. Every time has been pricy though: Captive audiences breed high prices!

2010 R-Pod 152
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>