R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSway Control Again

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sway Control Again
    Posted: 21 Jan 2014 at 5:10pm
I've been reading all the posts on sway control using WDH, friction and sway bars and I'm confused.  I'm use to driving a Class C and pulling a 5th wheel which don't have sway problems.  I will be in the near future pulling a model 179 with a Silverado 2500 HD standard box 6'6".   Will i need any or all of the sway control devices.  Does this depend on the tongue weight or pull vehicles wheel base?  Please advise.

Thanks
Gary and Jill Winters
Bella Golden Retriever
2014 Silverado 1500
2015 R-Pod 179 -(SOLD)
rascalrv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2014 at 5:59pm
I'm planning on purchasing the Rpod 179 soon as well and had no intentions of purchasing a equalizer hitch plus sway control. It's only a few hundred pounds heavier than my current forest river product and that pulls without any problems with my 2013 ford explorer with towing package. Rated to pull 5,000 pounds. The explorer also has built in sway control so no need for added parts from the dealer. 

It looks like you would be pulling with a 2500 hd so you should check your truck's specs as it may already have that plus the Rpod will pull easy with type of truck. 

Just my two cents worth. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2014 at 6:06pm

We have a section discussing sway in the "manual" thread here:  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1723

That will give you an idea about the causes and how to prevent it (tongue weight is one reason it occurs and an easy way to correct it on the road).  Longer wheelbase vehicles are more immune to the effects of sway once it starts but won't prevent it and can still be thrown into a dangerous situation.  The pods seem to be less prone to sway in general but many of us went a while w/o any sway control and then suddenly had a day with cross-winds which made them want it.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Jdub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2014 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by techntrek

We have a section discussing sway in the "manual" thread here:  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1723

That will give you an idea about the causes and how to prevent it (tongue weight is one reason it occurs and an easy way to correct it on the road).  Longer wheelbase vehicles are more immune to the effects of sway once it starts but won't prevent it and can still be thrown into a dangerous situation.  The pods seem to be less prone to sway in general but many of us went a while w/o any sway control and then suddenly had a day with cross-winds which made them want it.

Yep. Cheap and it works. 
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2014 at 9:21pm
When we purchased our 177 in 2011 we brought it through a terrific snow storm across the U.P. of Michigan; no problem with sway control as there was easily 6+ inches of snow on the roads.  However our first trip was a problem on dry roads; we tow with an 08 Explorer and could not go above 45 mph without a terrible sway problem.  Got a friction bar and for the small investment (under 100 bucks installed) we have had zero issues, even when we have found ourselves in 30+ mph crosswinds. 
Am curious as to how well the 179 will tow with more weight, longer trailer and more wind to move as you travel down the roadway without having some kind of friction control, unless you have a full size TV to pull it.  
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply