Topic ClosedYellowstone Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yellowstone Questions
    Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 6:25am
In June of 2012 I spent 6 days turning Yellowstone NP and Grand Teton NP. We had 2 snow days June 2 and 6th.
Stayed at a state park in Idaho called Henry's Lake. Only a 15 minute drive into the West Yellowstone entrance.
Great state park for Fishing and it had a local Cow Moose and her Calf.
Also saw a herd of Big Horn Sheep at this park.
Yellowstone is fantastic in June due to smaller crowds.
Going back this year and will stay in the park at Fishing Bridge Campground also 3 day in Grande Teton NP.
Tom and Linda
R-Pod 177
Southwest Florida
headcold View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 2:10pm
Yellowstone Park is in my backyard (45 minutes by truck and Pod).  All of the campgrounds are quite nice, worth your stay, but require reservations.  I don't particularly like Slough Creek Campground, but there is some great fishing on Slough Creek if you are willing to walk upstream several miles.  Carry bear spray on your hikes and don't even think of getting close to buffalo unless you are two steps or less from your car.  

The KOA is West Yellowstone is acceptable, but West Yellowstone itself is a crowded tourist trap in high summer season. Don't forget about all of the very fine Forest Service campgrounds scattered across the immediate vicinity of Yellowstone Park.  Those are your best bets, with or without reservations.
JKPOD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 2:58pm
hello everyone, thanks so much for all the info on my questions! Please keep more info coming!...Headcold, great to talk to someomeone who lives near Yellowstone. We are torn between staying at Fishing Bridge and a rv place in a west yellowstone RV park. I understand that both places are just like a parking lot. This is ok for us because we plan on being in the park all the time and will come back to the pod basically to sleep. We dont want to do much cooking...just want to eat mostly fast food for dinners. I understand youre saying that West Yellowstone is a tourist trap...but I figure it probably has a couple of fast food places? I have another question for you. Where would the closest large airport be to yellowstone. My oldest daughter lives in California and is planning to meet us in yellowstone and stay with us for 5 or 6 days. I may have to drive to an airport to pick her up, so, staying at Fishing Bridge or West yellowstone is a big decision for us. Any suggestions would be appreciated! 
2014 R-Pod 172
2007 Ford F-150
bodie55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 3:07pm
We were there two summer ago. There was an overpriced McD's. Saw many local eateries. We shopped at the two grocers in town. There was a greater variety of food and shopping choices in Cody on our trip last summer (we were just passing through) but a farther drive into the park. If you're picnic people, you can find adequate choices at the grocers and avoid the cooking.
Bay Area Crew
2013 178 Beach Pod
F-150 SuperCrew
...sempre in viaggio sul mare...
headcold View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 3:44pm
JK Pod:

I would fly into Bozeman, MT (my town) which is served by most of the major airlines in this part of the West.  Your daughter probably can catch a direct flight from LA of San F. to Bozeman, but Alaskan airline routes through Seattle, I believe.  
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2014 at 7:47pm
Thanks for all the info here, we just booked 3 nights at Canyon Campground in July. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2014 at 9:33pm
You will love it!  Yellowstone is beautiful and weird at the same time, with the geothermal elements.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 11:14am
You might want to consider a really big ice chest. We took a two week trip last summer to a few out of the way places. Stock up on all your perishables, vegetables, dairy, meat, etc. at one of the larger towns before heading to your destination. Might also want to consider buying ice in cube form and repackaging it into the bags with the gripper tops. Then distribute around the items that have to be kept cold. Nothing like trying to find something in a cooler full of very cold water. Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 11:47am
I was very happy we could fit in Yellowstone this time around, I didn't think we would have the time.  It was my favorite stop when my parents took us around the US in '86. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
headcold View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 1:13pm
Good advice regarding carrying an ice cooler for basic foodstuffs that probably will cost less when purchased in a larger city.  In terms of the Yellowstone Park area, the best food prices are found in the larger big-box stores in Billings, Livingston, or Bozeman.  Jackson, WY, not so much because you are dealing with a sales tax whereas Montana doesn't have a sales tax.

In our extended, multi-week trips, we always carry one or two large ice coolers with food, in addition to what we can carry in our Pod refrigerator, making us virtually self-sufficient.   My only caveat with your suggestion regards ice cubes.  We have found that block ice last longer, cools better, and is easier to manage than cubes.  However, commercial block ice is usually manufactured from ice cubes that are pressed or frozen into blocks.  Commercial blocks, therefore, don't last in the cooler as long as block ice that you make at home in your own freezer.  We make ours by freezing water in empty milk cartons or even larger disposable plastic containers.  

Of course, having a good cooler, such as the Yeti, preserve block ice from any source longer.  We found that cheaper Coleman coolers can be brought up to Yeti standards by duct-taping or gluing insulating closed cell foam insulation to the cooler sides, bottom, and top.  It isn't pretty but it works.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>