R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbattery and outlet issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: battery and outlet issues
    Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 12:23am
Headed out for the winter break adventure today down to the Central Coast (CA). We hooked the battery back up to the pod, checked it, and the meter inside said 'E'.  Drove 6 hours, still empty.  Arrived after dark, so will investigate more tomorrow.  The battery had been on a trickle charger at home.  Any thoughts?  My search phrases didn't produce quick results. 

On a side note, we've found two outlets tonight that don't seem to be working and will check all tomorrow.  Maybe a fuse issue. The converter was making noise once we hooked up to shore power.  It's a factory installed tow package. We didn't have any of these problems this summer, but the poor pod didn't get any use all semester. 

The nice thing is the portable space heater has made the pod nice and toasty!  It's chilly outside, but we look forward to warm enough days to enjoy the break between semesters!

Thank you ahead of time - y'all always have the best suggestions!!
Kristy
Bay Area Crew
2013 178 Beach Pod
F-150 SuperCrew
...sempre in viaggio sul mare...
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 8:46am
Three simple thoughts on your battery problem.  Did you connect the battery properly?  You might have reversed the polarity.  Are the connections at the battery terminals clean and tight?  And finally, do your lights and other 12 volt items work when shore power is disconnected?  If so, perhaps your meter is faulty.
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 9:45am
Sounds like you may have two problems. When you say two outlets don't work I assmume you mean 120V outlets. Check the circuit breakers (not fuses) and the GFCI. There should be at least one GFCI outlet in the POD. Also check that the microwave clock is lit when on shore power. It and the TV may be wired to the GFCI and the GFCI may have tripped.

For the 12V problems it really sounds like the battery was/is hooked up backwards or the connections are poor. The converter has two big protection fuses to prevent damage in the case of battery reversal. These will blow immediately if the battery is reversed. Check the hookup. White is customerily the ground/negative side, but check it. In rare cases it has been found that the battery wiring in the POD has become loose, but try these other things first.

Charlie
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
bodie55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 3:30pm
Outlet issue solved. Human (man) error. The battery was hooked with proper polarity. Not sure if the trickle charger DH was using at home was actually doing the job. Is it correct that if the battery is drained completely that it may not recharge? Everything was working fine in August when we used it last. I can't imagine the converter would crap out on a new trailer.
Bay Area Crew
2013 178 Beach Pod
F-150 SuperCrew
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 6:41pm
If you had a fresh battery you may get it to recharge after a complete discharge, but you won't ever get as much back out as before.  If it has been discharged for too long it may be dead for good.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 6:51pm
And you need a real charger to do it. A trickle charger can't.
svskier View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 12:50pm
I have my pod stored inside with electric for the winter.
Is it a good idea to leave it plugged in even if I only check on things once a month or so?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 1:20pm
I leave our pod plugged in year round with no ill effects.  The electrical system maintains the battery(ies) nicely.  You will need to top off the water in them regularly, and keep the level above the plates, especially if the temp is above outside ambient.
I run the fan with the windows cracked a bit in warmer weather to keep it fresh inside.

Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
svskier View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 1:27pm
Thanks Chris
I'll check the water level next time I check on things
bodie55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 11:16am
We bought an inexpensive tester that checks the water (little floaty balls thing). Three cells dead, two cells full and one 3/4 alive. Guess we need a new battery for summer. As it is, there is enough juice to run the fridge brains and fan and one light at the same time. I thought that if the battery was totally dead, none of the 12V systems would function, as the inverter would not be charging the battery, but apparently a partially dead battery still kinda works? It did not have enough juice to pull in the slider with the shore power off.

Not sure why the motorcycle batter tender failed us, but obviously we need something stronger for next time. The Battery Tender brand has one for motorcycles and 'bigger' batteries. Any thoughts on these products or suggestions for a something that will keep the battery alive? It wasn't the water level, because all the plates are covered, so they weren't fried. We can't plug it in to charge it, as the pod is stored/parked at a facility near our home with no plug available.

Oh, the joys of pod ownership!
Bay Area Crew
2013 178 Beach Pod
F-150 SuperCrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>