R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed12 volt power socket installed in 177

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 volt power socket installed in 177
    Posted: 01 May 2014 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

Bud,

I've seen the Andersons advertised, but never seen one in person. How do they handle keying or polarity? Will two reds mate, two blacks mate, but not a red and a black? Or is it something else. Also have you ever seen a panel mount version? Any connector system to replace the cig plug will have to have a panel mount female and cable mount male.

The colors are simply to identify different "systems".  The colors have nothing to do with which ones mate with each other.  Standard is grey.  The same size of any color will mate, IOW no problem plugging a grey into a red if they are the same size.

Polarity is marked on them for DC systems. they really are someones great idea-  I like them a lot.
If wired correctly it is impossible to reverse polarity plugging them into each other.

The links in jjkd's post detail the physical design, although I admit I've never seen the single pole ones wikipedia shows, all I've used have been 2 pole.

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 10:21pm
Thanks Joe and Bud for the info. If I understand any color within the 15/30/45 series will mate with another color of the series. It looks like a 15A would also mate with 45A connector of any color. So given four separate wires, two red (+) and two black (-), it is physically possible to mate them in any combination, even shorting out the source if the wires are long enough? Now if the same for wires are assembled into plugs, using the roll pins, with one red and one black per pair and following the convention of  "red right, tongue top" is it still possible to cross-mate them and reverse polarity?
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 5:49am
No, if assembled correctly they will always maintain polarity correctness.   Each connector is marked as to which contact is positive on the two conductor ones.  I've never had a need to use the individual contact version since I've only used them on 12V DC systems where both + and - are needed.

Roll pins?   Lost me there.....haven't seen that on the ones I've used.

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 7:52am
Thanks for the reply. I hadn't seen the assembled connectors. The PowerWerx website talks to supplied roll pins used to join two single connectors, e.g. red and black, to form a single two circuit connector. Obviously the assembled one you show is preferable.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
cody91 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 10:51am
Originally posted by CharlieM

And on the foaming job: more is better. The alternative is no foam, which FR has also done on Friday afternoon models. Makes for a really leaky cold Pod!

CharlieM,

What kind of foam do you use?  I can't seem to find that black expanding foam that FR uses?

Cody91
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 11:08am
Cody,

Fortunately my Pod was completely and perfectly foamed from the factory. So tight I could hear the difference in the Fantastic fan with and without a window open. Therefore I never went in search of the foam. However, home improvement stores carry several types of expanding polyurethane foam in spray type containers. Black color is not necessary. For small fills like wire entry/exit I use GE clear Silicone II sealer. Easy, permanent, and removable. Available at Lowes, HD, Ace, etc.  
Charlie
Northern Colorado
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456