R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed12 volt power socket installed in 177

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 volt power socket installed in 177
    Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 9:03am
Pulling out the panel is not a big deal and will give you access to the grounding bus.  - mine is screwed to the floor behind panel. Once out, installing adapter was straight forward; using empty fuse position and drilling hole for snap-in adapter. Oh, you will probably find a lot of sawdust behind the panel. I guess they don't have shop vacs in the factory. You will find a lot more sawdust after you tow over bumpy roads a few times.

While you have the panel out, you'll notice the wiring running up to the stereo. Unscrew the four screws holding the stereo and you can easily install a voltmeter, dropping the wires down to the 12v. power bus and ground. The voltmeter is one of my favorite mods!

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 9:22am
I'll second the comments of Budward and Techntrek. I installed 4 extra outlets in my 172 so I can sympathize somewhat. Pulling the panel is not hard if wire slack is there; 4 screws. It will give you access to the wiring and a way to run new wires. There is also added access through that shower vent (mine was originally installed upside down). Running the wires aft to the bed should be fairly easy. The wires forward to the dinette may have to go below the floor to get across the doorway. Drilling small holes through the floor is not difficult; it's a little over 2" thick consisting of plywood and foam insulation. You can probably pass two #12 wires through a 1/4 or 3/8 inch hole. Just seal the holes afterwards with silicone or similar. Underneath the trailer I prefer the small plastic split wire molding available at auto stores for added protection. Use adequate zip ties to secure it. 

I would also recommend two outlets in both locations. Easy to do while you're at it and we all keep getting more 12V gadgets. I like the BlueSea sockets, but you should use the recommended hole saw for installation. I'd also recommend plugin USB adapters for cell phones, iPads, etc. See the links below.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Volt-Socket/dp/B001U4ZZPK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1398862410&sr=8-6&keywords=bluesea

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-High-Output-Charger-iPhone/dp/B007TV88F2/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1348760263&sr=8-22&keywords=usb+charger

And on the foaming job: more is better. The alternative is no foam, which FR has also done on Friday afternoon models. Makes for a really leaky cold Pod!

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Since cigarette lighters aren't installed in cars anymore, I wish everyone would agree to a new standard for 12 volt accessories.  Something less bulky with a more secure connection (not based on the tension of a few springs).  A small Anderson connector is probably best, maybe a small twist-lock 2nd best.
Actually there is a very similar typically European arrangement that is much more secure- some plugs on equipment I've bought include a ring that snaps off to convert that plug to our US standard..

I do like the Anderson connectors, I've used them on many things even up to 300 Amp ones for a winch...I really love the way they are "unisex"- for those that haven't seen them- only one plug is needed, two of them plug together even though they are the same!
bcskimiller View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 7:45pm
Thanks to everybody for the quick replies!  I think I'm taking all the parts I got at O'Rileys back and just ordering 4 of the Blue Sea Systems plugs.  May upgrade to the built in USB chargers once they get enough power to do the IPAD and these new fancy big screen phones; till then we'll stick with our cigarette lighter ones.
One last (for now...) novice question: for the wiring, especially since I will have to run some of it under the trailer, is it worth paying for the outdoor/underground low voltage 12 guage 2 wire such as this:

or will regular 12 guage 2 wire house stuff work?

Thanks Again!
Me, the Wife, 3 Kids 5 and under...its Crowded!
2014 RP-178 HRE
2017 Expedition EL 4WD
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Budward

[QUOTE=techntrek]

I do like the Anderson connectors, I've used them on many things even up to 300 Amp ones for a winch...I really love the way they are "unisex"- for those that haven't seen them- only one plug is needed, two of them plug together even though they are the same!

Bud,

I've seen the Andersons advertised, but never seen one in person. How do they handle keying or polarity? Will two reds mate, two blacks mate, but not a red and a black? Or is it something else. Also have you ever seen a panel mount version? Any connector system to replace the cig plug will have to have a panel mount female and cable mount male.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OhTallMan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 10:38am
Originally posted by jj

I tried to upload my own pictures, but after several attempt I stopped trying. 
I gave up.
Then it I realized I could use pictures from older post to enhance the write up and converter power panel pictures from the web.
I am sorry I caused such a controversy, my apologies.
Hope the write up will help fellow podders with the step by step installation of the 12 volt power socket.

Sorry to be late to this portion of the conversation, but let me just add this: As a professional photographer I understand a bit about copyright, fair use laws and attribution etiquette. 

At minimum attribution of a photo is required, and certainly appreciated. It is not fair, right or legal to simply use someone else's work without acknowledgement - even if the photo is taken by Joe Schmoe camper. A link to the Web site the pics were taken from would be even better.

What I found unusual about this series of photos is that, not only were the photos used from other sources without attribution, the modification work had not even been done by the poster. The more proper way to handle that would have been, "hey guys, here's an idea . . ." And "here are some pics of how to do it from Joe Schmoe . . ." Plus, a link to the original Web address would be appropriate.

Hope this helps.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 11:49am
Originally posted by bcskimiller

Thanks to everybody for the quick replies!  I think I'm taking all the parts I got at O'Rileys back and just ordering 4 of the Blue Sea Systems plugs.  May upgrade to the built in USB chargers once they get enough power to do the IPAD and these new fancy big screen phones; till then we'll stick with our cigarette lighter ones.
One last (for now...) novice question: for the wiring, especially since I will have to run some of it under the trailer, is it worth paying for the outdoor/underground low voltage 12 guage 2 wire such as this:

or will regular 12 guage 2 wire house stuff work?

Thanks Again!

In my last post to you I included 2 links, one for BlueSea and one for a USB adapter. The BlueSea sockets I used are just the cigarette plug connectors, no USB included. That gives you connectivity for all cigarette plug devices. The other link is to a USB adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket and does provide 2 Amps for iPads etc. I'm a bit skeptical about the BlueSea built in USB sockets, if only for the replacement upon failure issues.

On the wire: The Coleman wire looks like it will be fine, but maybe longer than you'll need. I would use 12 Ga. wire available at auto stores plus the wire molds available from the same source, but you can do a cost comparison. The Coleman wire will work; don't use regular old house wire. For one thing, house wire is not rated for outside use. Secondly house wire is solid conductor, not stranded. Solid conductors are a lot harder to work with in cramped quarters like a trailer.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
Boomertype View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by fwunder

While you have the panel out, you'll notice the wiring running up to the stereo. Unscrew the four screws holding the stereo and you can easily install a voltmeter, dropping the wires down to the 12v. power bus and ground. The voltmeter is one of my favorite mods!

I've been looking at volt meters and haven't found one that I like till I saw this one, where did you get it and what brand is it.  What else does it show?

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 2:43pm
This is the voltmeter I used: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UWD2J4/

It's just measures volts.

I picked up the rocker switch at Radio Shack and made the plastic panel out of some scrap I had sitting around. 

Hope that helps!

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
jjkd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 8:51pm
Description of Anderson PowerPole connectors

For power distribution apps like this, you always put them together in pairs with red/positive on the right (red right tongue top), since pairs connect in opposite (upside down) orientation, the polarity is always correct.

Some panel mount options shown here:

But sometimes you can get them cheaper on ebay...

--
Joe Kyle
--jjkd--
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>