R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIntroducing the RPod 179 this February

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introducing the RPod 179 this February
    Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 2:06pm
I don't know if it is the same in a 179 as in our 177, and for that matter I haven't measured ours.  I am guessing 3-4 inches, and it has never been a problem for us.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
davewg View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 1:02pm
My wife and I are considering an R-Pod to replace our current family trailer (as the kids age out of the house we could definitely use something smaller).

We're hoping to see them at the Atlantic City RV show next month, but one question I had was the entry to the bathroom.

I noticed in the pictures of the 179 (and then saw on the 178) that the bath door doesn't come down to floor level. I assume this is to provide more of a "stall" for the shower, but how have owners found it to be stepping over it to use the bathroom?

How high does it come up from the floor? It's tough to tell from the pictures.

I guess it might only be an issue for those middle of the night trips...
Tri-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 9:11am
Now if they would just do a push out for the bathroom on the other side it would be perfect.
2010 PR 176 sold 2012 replaced with
2013 SP 240 w outside kitchen
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x2
5.7L V8
Me, My Honey, and Max our GSP
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 8:37pm
I would think that the solar panels are of the newer design that uses a wider spectrum of light, if they are anything like the solar cells in the flashlights that I have they charge very well even in the shade. My solar flashlights will even charge in the light on an incandescent bulb where old solar cells will not. Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 5:50pm
 I was wandering with the back more square if there would be enough length for a 10 foot awning. I went back and looked at the pictures it looks to short for a 10 foot maybe a 8 foot awning.  David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 4:18pm
For that price you could build a larger home-built system.  Anyone that wants to look into it should visit the Wind Sun forum, the people there have thousands of man-years of experience building and operating solar systems.  That said, there is the matter of convenience of a pre-built system. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 10:37pm
Well... I like ohm's law as much as anybody, but you are figuring on 12v output from the charge controller, and it won't be.. it will be as high as 16v when the batteries are down enough to need a bulk charge, then dropping into the high 13's and then high 12s as needed. (based on how my brother's system works) I am not sure the 80 watt panel is designed to fully top off the batteries daily, it can in best conditions.. but we don't see those everyday.. But.. if it can top off any percentage at all, it can extend your stay.. will also depend greatly on your usage.. as long as we don't run the heater all night, my guess is the 80 watt would keep you us and running a long time. Spring and fall, when you might only need the heater to get yourself moving in the morning, same thing I would guess. But that is part of why I would go with the 120watt panels, to be a little more sure..

BTW, the quoted price I heard for the panels from my dealer was "around" $350..
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 6:57pm
I guess I still have some doubt about the ability of an 80 watt system to do a very satisfying job of recharging batteries.  Max output according to Ohm's law is just a bit over 5 amps. My charger is over 20 amps output when it is fast charging a battery.  I think an 80 watt system will take quite a while to charge the battery, and the output will be less on cloudy days and when trees etc. are involved.  I am not aware of the cost of this system, but I wouldn't pay to much for it.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 3:29pm
The system FR is pushing is the 80 watt. Do you run dual or single batteries? The quickest/easiest way to double your boon docking range is dual batteries. If you still find yourself short on battery life, some form of electric generation is needed.. If you run dual batteries like we do, the 120watt system is the answer IMHO.

And yes, the 12v system is fully available while charging, just as it is when the converter is charging the batteries.  If you look down at the bottom of the products pages, you can find the interface connector and socket just like FR is using..
wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 12:34pm
Furpod- what size would you suggest? We don't do a lot of of the grid camping, but with the kids the batteries goes pretty quick. I read some, but can you use the battery while hooked up or is this strictly for recharging? Thanks
2014 rpod 182G
Ford Expedition
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>