R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery added?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery added?
    Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 4:56pm
I am in the process of having a second battery added at the dealership with a cutover switch, has anyone had any experience having an additional battery added? If so, how did you do it if done as a modification, and how much weight did it add. I am a new plodder, I bought an RPod 171 2010. Any feedback will be appreciated. :)
The Vintage Glamper
Lilly Pod
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 6:04pm

Welcome.  It will add roughly 75 pounds.  If your existing battery isn't brand new you will want to go with two new batteries, otherwise the old battery will kill the new battery fairly quickly.  It is best if you go with two 6 volt batteries (wired in series), but if you must go with two 12 volt batteries in parallel make sure you connect the (+) to the camper to one battery, and the (-) to the camper to the other battery.  Always charge them and use them together, NOT one then the other.  You actually get more total amps out of the batteries that way due to something called the Peukert Effect.

With any camper you must make sure to use your cutoff switch to disconnect the batteries after a trip otherwise "phantom loads" in the camper will kill the batteries in about 2 weeks (maybe 4 weeks with 2 batteries).  Once per month reconnect the batteries and plug the camper in overnight to top them off, then disconnect the batteries again.  Also top them off overnight before a trip while also pre-cooling your fridge.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2013 at 5:00pm
We have now used our (2) 12 volt batteries for 3 years w/o any problems.  No fancy cutoff switch; when the one gets down to 1/3 of a charge, I use my 1/2" wrench and switch the cables to the other battery; it takes less than 2 minutes to do this.

Normally we drycamp  and do the bulk of our camping during the off season here in the North country (April - May) and (September-October).  The furnace usually gets a good workout, our last 2 big trips were at Glacier N.P. and Rocky Mountain N.P. both in September where the night temps would drop into the mid to upper 30's.  We easily get 3 days out of 1 battery, 4 if the night temps stay in the 40's.  Interior lights are all L.E.D.'s and fridge is kept on propane.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply