R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTV in garage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: TV in garage
    Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 6:58pm
Hi folks, I've been lurking around for a while, we will be buying a RP182g soon, we will be tailgating, I was wondering, what is the biggest tv I can put in the garage. I don't expect to leave it there while driving, only when parked.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 8:18am
Welcome.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Lvdeuce

Hi folks, I've been lurking around for a while, we will be buying a RP182g soon, we will be tailgating, I was wondering, what is the biggest tv I can put in the garage. I don't expect to leave it there while driving, only when parked.

The garage is huge, I'd say as big as you want.  Are you wanting it on a mount to the wall?  That would be the only thing that would maybe limit you.  But I'm sure some clever mounting designs would make most anything possible.  There's a lot of wall space there between the versa track and the opposite wall.
wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 11:45am
I called Forest River to inquire what weight the provided mount would handle. The response was if you place a heavier than reccomended tv (no reccomendation was given) on the mount it would void the warranty. The bracketcould be changed out, but be carefull. Forest River will only warranty items and designs recieved when the pod is bought. Modifications are 100% on you.
Adding larger, sturdier brackets would void lots. The rep said for instance if you replace the bracket with a larger one to accomodate a bigger tv and the new bracket causes damage, warranty is voided. Larger bracket=more weight=more stress on the pod frame.
2014 rpod 182G
Ford Expedition
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 3:53pm
Sounds about right.  But most owners start modding their Pods as soon as they buy them.  Heck at some point this winter I'm gutting my garage almost completely and with the help and good ideas of another Podder re-doing it.

I moved our TV bracket from the garage and put it by the door on the outside of the Pod.  It's just one of those things you decide to do cause you want to make it functional for your needs.  
Uncle Billy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 4:14pm

A problem with a larger TV in the garage is that either it would be in the way of anyone prepping food or anyone prepping food would be in the way of the TV.  Eiher way you will have unhappy tailgaters.  Also the mount location (far left) could limit your ability to point it to where folks are sittiing. 

You're not going to leave it there while driving so you could put a mount on the outside.  Left side would be more convienient for power and antenna connections.  You could put a backer plate inside the garage to help spread the load.

Here's a kit with mounts and arm.  You may be able to dig around and find just a mount that matches ours as a seperate part.

POD With No Name
wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 4:23pm
I agree! We thought the "arm" would allow us to move the tv so we could watch from outside. We are also trying to mod the tv bracket for a bigger one in back. Still checking weight restrictions for the pod. Just saying the Forest River people were very clear about not covering issues arising from that kjnd of mod. By all meansgo big or go home!!
2014 rpod 182G
Ford Expedition
Lvdeuce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 9:59pm
Wow, thanks for the responses, I expect anything I do will void warranties, I see us hanging out at the back watching Raceday, 19 inches just won't cut it, initially I was wondering about using the existing mount but I'm not afraid to do any mod, warranty or not. To tell the truth, I void the warranty of about everything I buy anyway.Smile
Lvdeuce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 10:07pm

Here's a kit with mounts and arm.  You may be able to dig around and find just a mount that matches ours as a seperate part.

Thanks for the link, Uncle Billy, the wall mount part looks just like what's on the stock pod.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 8:52am
It's only a 1 year warranty anyways.  Most of us start cutting holes and removing stuff the first week.

You do know your remote control does not work when watching TV in the garage don't you?  That you can only use the control panel on the wall for volume and all that.

Unless you buy and run an IR repeater from the jack on the back of the stereo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>