This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Events and Campouts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCall me crazy...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Call me crazy...
    Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 8:27am
DH and I are planning a mid-winter 3 week trip to south Florida. Due to gas mileage, we have decided not to bring the pod. Cry We are planning on "living in" our conversion van for most of the trip.We will be staying at state parks along the way except for a short stay with some friends. We used to be tent campers, so I am looking forward to the challenge of returning to my roots except I'll have a comfy bed to sleep in. We plan on taking the EZ up, propane stove, tent for storage, outside potty etc. to make outdoor living possible. My question is this: Does anyone have any suggestions for making the van more convenient to sleep in/hang out in during bad weather? Certain things must stay inside, like clothes and food. I'm afraid we may be a little cramped. (not enough to stay home Wink) DH already removed the captain's chairs so we have lots of floor space.

Denny and Linda

2013 Pod 177
'08 Santa Fe
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 8:55am
My first suggestion would be to make sure you have lots of cushions & pillows to make sitting around in the van more comfy during the bad weather, if you have to.  My second would be to bring an easy-up type of cover that you can quickly setup to give you some protected overhead space outside.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 10:58am
You are crazy.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 10:58am
Don't hate me.. you asked for it.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 11:39am
I understand, pulling the pod around ain't cheap.  I just mentioned in another thread that we did 4 trips from MD to FL in 2011, but only one of them with the pod even though I would have preferred to have it the other 3.  Two of the non-pod trips we slept in our minivan (our TV at the time).  4 people and a dog on one of them!

Since you'll have your EZ-up, get 1 oversize tarp, a large clear-plastic drop cloth and a dozen spring clamps.  You can find the tarp fairly cheap online, spring clamps and drop cloth at any home improvement store.  I have a tarp that can completely cover the top of 2 EZ-ups with a 4 foot gap between them.  Covering just one it will cover the top (original cover isn't rain proof anymore) and one side.  With additional clear drop cloth I can completely enclose two EZ-ups for bad weather camping trips.

I'm thinking you could set up your EZ-up against the van with the sliding door or rear doors open, then use the tarp to cover the EZ-up and bridge the gap to the van.  Add the clear plastic on the other sides (clear to let light in) and you'll have a huge dry area to hang out without being trapped in the van.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
francoisfrogpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 12:48pm
What a great idea, Techntrek! I have tarps for the side of the EZ up for sunshine in the summer, but clear ones would be better for winter. It will just be two of us and a small-who-thinks-he's-big dog. P&M, thanks for the suggestion about lots of pillows, that will help I'm sure. We already have many large pillows in the pod. I'll just take them with us. 
Denny and Linda

2013 Pod 177
'08 Santa Fe
Paige View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 2:23pm
Two thoughts from someone who is now in Florida, after bringing their pod down from New York:
    A. On the way down, you might want to stay at a Cracker Barrel overnight,,no charge. Just let the management know.
    B. It is very HOT down here at this time,,,so sleeping in a van with no AC might not be such a great experience.  Just say'in
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 3:15pm
Other options are Wal-Mart and truck stops.  We actually feel safer in truck stops.

Very true about the A/C.  We ran our van for the few nights we were in it - not cheap and not something I would want to do long-term, but it was absolutely necessary to get any sleep.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 7:18am
truck stops, cracker barrel and walmart...............how about rest areas?
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 8:51am
Interstate rest areas generally have a 2 hour limit, probably for good reasons.  They could get crowded and there are a lot of potential safety issues.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>