This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Events and Campouts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCall me crazy...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Call me crazy...
    Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 9:12am
in using truck stops, are there designated areas for campers or does one just hang with the truckers?  i have used rest areas a lot and have never heard of somebody getting kicked out.  i would only imagine there are potential safety issues at any of these.  curious on others thoughts and experiences.  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Paige View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 9:50am
There are some all night rest areas with security,,they say.  We avoid them as they just seem too out of the way for our sense of safety.  As for Walmart, we avoid them too, due to the clientele...and not all Walmart's allow RV's now.  We stayed at a truck stop, in between two huge rigs and other than the noise,,,we felt very safe.  The Cracker Barrel restaurants usually have parking lots in the back with plenty of room and they are well lit.  We have always felt safe there...and they have rest rooms when open and a great breakfast! We just make sure to call ahead to ask the manager if it is OK if we stay there,,,they have always said yes.
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 11:03am

We always call ahead to Wal-marts since there are a lot of jurisdictions that have made it illegal to stay there (otherwise it is company policy to allow it, going back to Walton's day).  That saves a trip off the highway just to discover you can't stay.  If we tried Cracker Barrel or Camping World I would do the same - any place except a truck stop.

Truck stops by definition are always situated where it is allowed so we don't call, but we do check in with the person at the counter to see where they want us to park (while I'm filling up at the pump so they see we're patronizing them).  Often they point to a corner of the regular parking lot to keep the long truck slots open.

I've read that people do often get away with using rest stops, but since it is illegal just about everywhere I'd rather not get a wake-up at 2 am.  Plus ticket.

The reason we prefer truck stops now is we've had a few experiences at Wal-Marts.  Kids doing burn-outs down the line of campers at 2 am, for one.  The local idiots know there are campers there and they can be messed with - or worse.  That isn't going to happen at a truck stop or they'll have 30 truckers beating their @ss.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 12:48pm
We have had great luck with Flying J truck stops. Have used them on our trips to Florida from Vermont. We start at the Flying J Northeast Maryland and have worked our way south, they have an app you cann get that gives you locations and distances, gas prices etc. They aslo have an RV rewards card where you get points toward all kinds of stuff.
Have always had great luck with thier staff people, most locations are very close to the interstate also
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
francoisfrogpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 8:18pm
Paige, thanks for the heads up about the weather. We won't be leaving for several weeks so hopefully it will be cooler. Thanks everyone else for all the suggestions.

Denny and Linda

2013 Pod 177
'08 Santa Fe
Paige View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 6:21pm
Well it is definitely cooler already.  Good luck on your adventure!
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Paige

There are some all night rest areas with security,,they say.  We avoid them as they just seem too out of the way for our sense of safety.  As for Walmart, we avoid them too, due to the clientele...and not all Walmart's allow RV's now.  We stayed at a truck stop, in between two huge rigs and other than the noise,,,we felt very safe.  The Cracker Barrel restaurants usually have parking lots in the back with plenty of room and they are well lit.  We have always felt safe there...and they have rest rooms when open and a great breakfast! We just make sure to call ahead to ask the manager if it is OK if we stay there,,,they have always said yes.

I spoke with a manager at a Craker Barrel this summer in Maine and she said it was company policy to allow people to overnight in their parking lots.  It has become my new favorite Parking place. I  have also overnighted at truck stops. The only thing I am carfull about is if it is busey I don't stay. Trucks are their bread and butter so you don't want to take a parking spot that a trucker would need. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
mtbmitch View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 10:18pm
I would bring a tent to throw your gear bags into so you have more room.
enjoy the fresh air
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Seanl

[QUOTE=Paige]...The only thing I am carfull about is if it is busey I don't stay. Trucks are their bread and butter so you don't want to take a parking spot that a trucker would need. 

As I mentioned earlier, they usually ask you to stay in a corner of their regular lot and not in one of the long truck slots.  So you are right, but no reason to shy away.  Just ask if you can stay in the unused corner, one of the advantages of us having relatively short rigs.  Smile
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Kokopod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 2:26pm
On our 7 week trip we stayed in Cracker Barrels three times and once at a Walmart. We were very careful about Walmart locations and always asked first at both Walmart and Cracker Barrel. We would never choose a Walmart if we were the only ones there. Loved the Cracker Barrel experience. The management was always great and welcomed us with open arms - we made sure we spent money at both establishments. We always felt safe.
2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k
2013 Premier 19FBPR
Formerly-2013 R-pod 177HRE
2011 Dodge Durango
Love a good road trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>