Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator for Pod 177

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator for Pod 177
    Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 9:47pm
Im sure this question has already been asked and answered, but i am considering getting a generator for my new R-Pod and was hoping someone could tell me how big of a generator I would need to handle the a/c and the microwave, my only mod so far is to change the 20lb propane take out to a 40lb tank. Any and all comments and or suggestions would be appreciated.
A bad day hunting/camping/fishing is better than a good day at work, especially in a a 2014 Rpod 177 :)
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 11:20pm
No advice on a generator, but curious about the 40# tank. We camped about 20 nights, some with heat, and used a 20# tank. More than half the cooking was outside the pod. Our refrigerator only ran on propane, never AC. (DC on the road only.) I was pleasantly surprised at the "gas mileage" I got with the propane. Have you run out of propane a lot or are you just trying to be on the safe side?
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
w4bgbob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 1:26am
just trying to be on the safe side, might be over kill but i already had the 40# tank just had to add a longer length of hose and figured why not....
A bad day hunting/camping/fishing is better than a good day at work, especially in a a 2014 Rpod 177 :)
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 8:56am
Welcome.  I've moved this post out of the Flea Market section, since that area is for wanted/for sale ads.

The smaller you go with generators, the less fuel they'll burn, especially if you get an inverter-generator.  My Yamaha EF2400is burns 1.6 gallons in 8 hours while running the A/C.  It will run either my A/C or my microwave - in my opinion there's no reason to haul around a much heavier 3000 watt generator that can run both at the same time, plus carry and burn the extra fuel, when the microwave is only used a small percentage of the day.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 8:28am
My experience with a 2400w Yamaha generator is that you can run the AC or the microwave/convection oven but not both at the same time.  The generator shuts off when it gets overloaded, which is a bit of a pain until you learn to use one or the other of the big draws.  Once you get that mindset taken care of, for me at least, it's absolutely no bother.  I haven't tried cooking a turkey in the middle of the Chihuahuan desert in August, but otherwise I have no problem doing without air con for a few minutes while the oven is on.  The noise, bulk, weight, etc, of a larger generator just isn't worth it to me.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
w4bgbob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 12:35pm
Thank you gentleman for your responses, I agree smaller would be better and doing without a/c while the oven is on for a few mins sounds very feasable too. I will most definetly check into the yamaha generator and again thanks for the info.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 1:44pm
Something I didn't mention is you have two basic options - old style generator which always runs at 3600 rpms, or newer inverter-generator which can idle down under no/low load.  The old style is always loud and uses a lot of gas.  The new style are quieter even under full load, and almost always use less gas since generators are rarely run at full throttle all the time.

Neither can be used in any campground overnight, and even if you are camped where you can use one, if you are near others in a campground or someplace like a Wal-Mart parking lot, you will make enemies running the old style for more than a few minutes.  For something like running A/C overnight at Wal-Mart (we prefer truck stops) or for charging batteries in the middle of the day for a few hours, you'll want the new style.  It is of course much more expensive, but over time the lower fuel consumption can make it pay for itself.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
w4bgbob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 2:16pm
Thanks techntrek I understand what your saying and agree with the logic, I have been researching the yamaha model you mentioned and also a honda model eu2000i. For now either will have to wait, too many iorns in the fire and other things taking precedence over my toys, but I certainly appreciate all your input and information.

Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by w4bgbob

Thanks techntrek I understand what your saying and agree with the logic, I have been researching the yamaha model you mentioned and also a honda model eu2000i. For now either will have to wait, too many iorns in the fire and other things taking precedence over my toys, but I certainly appreciate all your input and information.

All things being equal, I would go with the EU2000i. You can put a cap on it that allows it to draw fuel from an outboard motor tank. The Honda has a fuel pump, the Yamaha does not. This means a longer run without getting out of the sack to refuel. I carry a little 3 gallon outboard tank. My Honda runs my A/C or as Tech said will run the Micro, but not both at the same time. I seldom need the microwave while sleeping..
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Thinker

All things being equal, I would go with the EU2000i. You can put a cap on it that allows it to draw fuel from an outboard motor tank. The Honda has a fuel pump, the Yamaha does not. This means a longer run without getting out of the sack to refuel. I carry a little 3 gallon outboard tank. My Honda runs my A/C or as Tech said will run the Micro, but not both at the same time. I seldom need the microwave while sleeping..

A couple of things: my Yamaha 2400 has run for 11 hour on a tank.  If you're camping somewhere you can run a generator at night you just fill it up before bed and you're good until morning.

I don't know if it's made by Yamaha and I don't have one, but there is an aftermarket cap for the Yamaha 2000 (I bet it works on the 2400 too) that let's you draw from an external tank.  http://www.amazon.com/YAMAHA-EF2000iS-GENERATOR-EXTENDED-FUEL/dp/B004FPDLFM

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>