R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElevate wheels for long-term storage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elevate wheels for long-term storage
    Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 8:28pm
Can I use a simple 'scissor jack' on the frame (one on each side)to raise the pod up enough to keep the wheels off the ground during winter storage?Or is there an inexpensive way to raise it up and keep the wheels off the ground rather than purchasing two scissor jacks?
There's only one way...
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 8:37pm
Use concrete blocks or something similar. Like the old saying, "Store it on blocks."
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 8:56pm
We've discussed the best way to jack up a pod many times.  The problem is, light-weight campers are built with light-weight frames.  Jacking up on the frame itself is a no-no.  Some agree that jacking up at the connection points on the axle is the only way to go - but not under the axle. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TrinityTurret View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 8:59pm
I couldn't find anything searching for 'elevating wheels', 'raising wheels', etc etc...so I started this post.

Ok, so 'jacking up on the frame' is a no-no. How else can I get the wheels off the ground? Could you point me to a thread on this, like I said, I can't find any . . . .
There's only one way...
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 9:13pm
Ok...I found some, LOL...I searched for 'jacking'.
There's only one way...
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 10:29pm
Jacking up the RPod is the "slippery slope" of  maintenance. So if we can't agree on where to jack it up, how are we gonna also agree on where to put the blocks when it's jacked up? Star  Lots of luck! Do I hear the word "levitation" coming?

I haven't done this but in thinking about it if you took a 4 foot(?) long 4x4 to distribute the load evenly to the frame behind the risers and jacked under that, then you could place a concrete block next to the jack point (also under 4x4).  IMO. Everything else seems like a no-no.  I'm sure this will stimulate others to  comment ...
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 10:40pm
Bill....would this 4 x 4 be placed under the pod, behind the wheels, and ACROSS the pod, like the ties on a railroad track? Or would there be one of them behind each wheel, with the jack somewhat in the middle of it for weight distribution?
There's only one way...
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 11:02pm
When I installed my riser kit, purchased from FR directly, the instructions included simply advised to jack up the frame behind the axle mount location.  No special precautions were given.  I would not hesitate to do the same, leaving enough space between the riser mount and the jack to insert a concrete block.  A piece of wood on top of the block would protect the frame finish, if so desired.  All of this takes place in close proximity to the axle attachment points, so I don't see how any frame damage would result. 

If I were going through all this trouble, I would be tempted to remove the wheels and store them for the winter. 

I have never heard of a pod frame being damaged by jacking it up in this manner.

2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 8:28am

Someone please help me understand this ... why would you want to jack up the Pod completely off the ground over the winter?

P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 8:33am
Originally posted by TrinityTurret

Bill....would this 4 x 4 be placed under the pod, behind the wheels, and ACROSS the pod, like the ties on a railroad track? Or would there be one of them behind each wheel, with the jack somewhat in the middle of it for weight distribution?

I would do it one behind each wheel (running front back) and as close to axle as possible. I agree with what Sleepless says above but with an added 4x4 the weight distribution would have to be better (and safer).  Plan where you are going to put the jack and where the blocks should go under the 4x4.
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>