R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElevate wheels for long-term storage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Sleepless View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elevate wheels for long-term storage
    Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 9:24am
I have read a few articles that recommend replacing the tires every 6 years.  Considering the low cost of trailer tires and the weather here in Florida, I become concerned after 4 years.  I think longevity of tires might be dependent on were you live and how you care for your tires rather than age.  One thing I have learned from past experience is that TT trailer tires seldom wear out, they deteriorate first.

2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 9:01am
The 5-year rule is something I've posted here before, which I've read as a rule-of-thumb on other camper forums.  I think it applies more to the older bias tires, the radials on the pods should hold up better over time like car tires.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 6:58am
[QUOTE=Bill-GA] New RV product? If moisture under the wheels is the problem how about a plastic wheel pad with holes in it to drain any water?

Lynx leveling blocks will do this just fine.  They do fade (color)  rapidly in the direct sunlight, however.

I do nothing other than put covers on the tires, if the camper is going to be sitting for a while (I park on an asphalt driveway).  Thus far, no problems.  I have the wheels off annually for wheel bearing maintenance and this is a great time to do a good inspection of the exterior of the tires.

I'll fan the flames a little bit and add that I read (somewhere) that tires should be replaced every 5 years, regardless, as they deteriorate internally - even though they may look fine from the outside.  (Could this have been written by a tire manufacturer or seller? Ying Yang
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 4:40pm
well... they were. Not as bad as others.. 
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by furpod

We don't cover our tires. We don't elevate our tires. But we do spray them with a protectant. So far so good. And they look nice. kymooses said so. Smile

No one said mine looked nice.  Oh yes, FurPod said mine were covered in mud!  I remember now.

I spray mine with protector also though.  That's about as much tire maintenance as I'm willing to do right now.  Although I could see covers for winter storing perhaps.
TrinityTurret View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 2:37pm
Thanks, Bob (Sleepless)---excellent!!!!! :)
There's only one way...
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 9:54am
We don't cover our tires. We don't elevate our tires. But we do spray them with a protectant. So far so good. And they look nice. kymooses said so. Smile
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 9:22am
Great info Sleepless ... thanks for sharing!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 9:05am
To raise or not to raise?  If you do a Google on this you will find many adverse opinions.  I did not want to sound argumentative in my earlier posts, but here are some facts that can not be ignored.  Years ago it was common practice to elevate tires because they were prone to develop flat spots and sometimes the sidewalls would develop cracks or checking.  These were during the age of bias tires which were also constructed of materials inferior to today's materials.  Back in the 50's, I once purchased inexpensive tires and they were completely worn out after less than 15,000 miles.  Today, I can normally get 50,000 miles out of a set of tires.

Modern radial tires are an entirely different breed.  They no longer have that tendency to develop flat spots and if properly inflated have a much longer life and if they receive a protectant periodically and are kept covered during prolonged storage will remain crack-free for years.  In my early days of camping, my pup tires sometimes developed sidewall bulges and had a normal life of only 3 or 4 years, regardless of mileage.  They seldom wore out, just deteriorated. 

Here in Florida, we have the snowbirds that often set up camp in their 5th wheels and motor homes, staying in the same camp siite for about 6 months every year.  You don't see any of these with their wheels elevated, most just keep their tires covered for protection.  Yet, their tires do not seem to suffer from setting on the ground and not being moved for this prolonged period of time.

When it comes to caring for an RV, I turn to Bob Livingston who is considered the guru of RV repair and maintenance.  For 40 years he has been testing RVs, writing technical articles for Motor Home and Trailer Life magazines, and has written several books on understanding and caring for recreational vehicles. 

Here is an excerpt from his book, which I consider my RV bible:
"Tires subjected to the elements (especially strong sunshine) should be treated every month with a good protectant like 303.  A good quality protectant will have UV blockers and help slow down cracking and crazing and, in general,rubber compound breakdown. If the RV is going to be stored outside, cover the tires with plywood or special covers made of vinyl. Tires do not have to be lifted off the ground during the storage period."

Like I said, you will find many divergent opinions about whether you should elevate your tires or not.  Do what you feel is best, just be aware that tires are not the same animal they were a few decades ago.

Sorry for the long post.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 6:45am
bill, i think your on to something!!!
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide