R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFRIDGE below 50 degrees

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: FRIDGE below 50 degrees
    Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 2:25pm
I was reading my new Dometic refrigerator instruction book...and it said to put the 'winter cover' on the outside vents if the air gets below 50, and when washing the trailer. Hmmm no 'winter cover' included, and Dometic just told me that the 'winter cover' is not available in the USA....AND...that if I try to use my Dometic fridge below 50 degrees, the coolant will gel up. Huh? Does that mean I can't use my refrigerator below 50 degrees?

What happens when we're driving along with the fridge on battery, and the temps drop into the 40's? What happens when it's 65 daytime, and 42 overnight?

SURELY we aren't going to have refrigerator problems if we have it turned on and the outside air temperature drops?

Ouch

I continued googling for more info...and just ran across this that is v-e-r-y interesting!

Your RVs Refrigerator is very vulnerable in cold weather. Your RVs refrigerator has chemicals in the cooling unit that will gel up like diesel fuel if the outside temperature gets down too far. This will stop your refer from working properly. There needs to be a certain amount of heat in the vented compartment behind the refer for it to operate as it should. For that reason, it is important to park your RV so the back of the refrigerator gets as much southern exposure as possible. While this will not guarantee that your refer will continue to work, this will help. If that is impossible to do or if it is extremely cold, you can open the access door on the outside of your RV and add a bat of UNFACED FIBERGLASS INSULATION to cover the vent holes in the lower compartment access, thereby slowing down the circulation of air through the compartment and keeping some of the heat in. A single bat of unfolded and unfaced R11 should be good enough.You are not trying to completely block off the vent... you Just want to slow down the movement of air through the compartment on the backside of your refer. NOTE: Use only UNFACED fiberglass insulation as it is not adversely affected by heat sources or open flame. AS a suggested rule, place the bat in the compartment when the outside temperature gets down to and stays below 15 degrees... just remember to pull the bat out the next spring or the refrigerator will run too hot and will stop working as well. NEVER cover or block the upper vent. In conjunction with the UNFACED fiberglass bat, I've seen the use of a small shielded 60 watt bulb in the bottom of the compartment to help further provide heat to the cooling unit in cold weather as well. Just insure if you use the bulb, place it in a drop light socket with shield and place it away from wires or anything else it may come in contact with. THE MAJOR REFRIGERATOR MANUFACTURERS FROWN ON THIS PRACTICE SO, IF YOUR REFRIGERATOR IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY, YOU MAY WANT TO FIND AN ALTERNATIVE MEANS TO KEEP YOUR FOOD COOL. The major manufacturers provide for no preventive maintenance in this area. It was explained to me that an RV refrigerator goes in an RV... Following that thought, an RV is what it is... a RECREATIONAL VEHICLE, and the use of their product was not intended for extreme cold weather operation. Thus so, the procedure for a frozen cooling unit is to remove it from the RV and let it thaw in a heated garage or room for at least 72 hours or more and then retest it for operation before re-installing it. Why wait for it to freeze in the first place? Preventive maintenance is the key.

As a note, I've also seen owners fill the outside of the refer access panel with the grey or white split styrofoam pipe wrap. They just cut them to length and fill the three vents, so commonly seen on Dometic and Norcold access panels. These syrofoam tubes fit snug and, because they are on ther outside of the access panel, they make more room for a drop light and are seen easily so, come spring... you will remember to remove them.

So ,how do you know when your refrigerator is froze up? It is a pretty good indication that the chemicals have gelled up is when:

The outside temperature has been below 15 Degrees F or less for several days
The refrigerator has stopped cooling on the inside
Touching the Chimney (Commonly a silver vertical tube on the right side of the back of the fridge behind the access panel) is warm while at the same time, the absorber vessel ( a big grey or black horizontal canister sitting the middle of all of the tubes in the back of the fridge, also behind the access panel) is cold. To prevent damage to the cooling unit, immediately TURN OFF YOUR REFRIGERATOR AND CALL A SERVICE TECHNICIAN.
NOTE: AFTER your refrigerator is froze up, the ONLY thing an RV Technician can do is remove the unit and place it in a warm place for 48 to 72 hours to let it thaw out. He must also test it for proper operation before re-installing it in your RV.
(source of this info is this forum page: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425/extreme-cold-affecting-fridge-72206.html)

There's only one way...
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 2:40pm
Interesting, I've used mine at much colder temps w/o a problem.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 2:42pm
I have camped in the Pod when temps dropped to 26 degrees at night, and stayed around 45 for the entire weekend, and I have used it several other times when the temps were below 50 degrees.  Used the fridge all the time during those trips and never had a problem. 
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
TrinityTurret View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 4:42pm
Well...all I know is what the lady on the phone at Dometic told me. She also said alot of campers get some kind of HEATER rigged up to keep the outside panel of the fridge warm....

Hmmmmm using a heater to make the refrigerator cold, LOL....
There's only one way...
asreichler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 5:21pm
what model and what year?
Allen
2014 178 TV 2004 Dodge 2500 deisel
TrinityTurret View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 5:24pm
2014 ...Dometic lady did not ask for any specific model number, she made the 'blanket statement'.

Ours is RM 8___ ?

There's only one way...
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 7:30pm
Just got back from a 5+ week trip to Colorado. Nighttime temps were typically in the 30s and 40s. One night it got down to 26 degrees F. No problems with the fridge running on gas. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 8:38pm
we ran ours up in brown co Indiana yesterday and it was 44 d/f this morning and the fridge was ok, good and cold inside.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 4:35am
  Perhaps as long as it is running it generates enough warmth in the back of the fridge to keep it from freezing up. Maybe if you were to turn it on in very cold weather it would not work. Living in south Fla. I don't think about it being to cold, being to hot is more of a problem.  David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 8:15am
I MIGHT ALSO NOTE>> The Linked text says 15 degrees..  Not 50.. big difference.

If it "gels up" (which I have never heard of happening)The "fix" is for it to warm up.. No big deal, and I would guess no real damage/problem. People use RV fridges all over this country.. even in Alaska where even in the summer it is often freezing at night, my father takes his to the high Sierra where it snows in July (totally freaked my wife out) and I have never heard of it.

So my guess is.. it *can* happen.. so can being eaten by an alligator while walking your dog..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>