R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTicking propane tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ticking propane tank
    Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 2:32pm
So we picked up our 178 yesterday and camped out in our driveway last night. Enjoyed Chinese food, a bottle of champagne and a movie ( once we figured out how to make the DVD work Tongue ). This morning my husband turned on the heater, which proceeded to produce some stinky smoke, which set off the smoke alarm. Besides that, he said that while the heater was on using propane, he noticed that a ticking sound seemed to be coming from the tank. Has anyone else observed that and is it normal? Our 178 also came with a keypad locking device for the door. It worked when we did the walk through, but now seems not to be locking/unlocking the door. Everything else seems pretty fabulous! My husband wants to sleep in the Pod again tonight, he said it was the best nights sleep he's had in a while. Really wish we had a free weekend coming up...
Larry &Pat
The Pod Couple
2001 Ford F150
2014 RPod 178
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 2:55pm
Pinging regulators happen.  If yours is pinging you can get it replaced.  It happens.

The smoke is normal the first times you burn your heater.  Bit of residual manufacturing process stuff that has to burn off and you'll be good after it does.

What is your problem with the lock?  Trust me, that is not uncommon.  Lots of us have messed up the keyless entries.  They take some getting used to.  Several of us have locked ourselves out, messed up codes etc until we learned exactly how to deal with them.

Is it still lighting up and beeping?  Or is it just dead completely?
The Pod Couple View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 3:09pm
It's lighting and beeping, but then nothing happens. 
Larry &Pat
The Pod Couple
2001 Ford F150
2014 RPod 178
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 3:26pm
Are you remembering to hit the unlock button, are you making sure you "wake" the unit before trying to lock or unlock, have you changed the keycode?  

I know one day my wife couldn't open ours because she forgot to hit the unlock key at the end.

And please know by no means am I implying that you don't know what you're doing with it, I just know that they take some getting used to!

Even this weekend, I locked myself out twice because I was pushing the buttons too fast, and another time because I was grabbing the door handle before the sequence was allowed to finish completely.

Did you get the instructions where it tells about the low battery beepings?  Perhaps that's the root cause.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 4:58pm
I am remembering to hit the unlock button on the bottom and I do hear the beeping sounds when I push the buttons...I will go back and read through the directions to make sure I'm doing this right. And it's ok if you ARE implying that I don't know what I'm doing because this is all new and I DON'T know what I'm doing! Wacko I appreciate all the comments and support and helpful ideas. As others have said, this forum is great and I'm glad you all are here and willing to help!
Larry &Pat
The Pod Couple
2001 Ford F150
2014 RPod 178
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 4:59pm
Oh, I forgot to ask...how do you "wake" the device? A gentle nudge...an alarm...singing??? Tongue
Larry &Pat
The Pod Couple
2001 Ford F150
2014 RPod 178
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 5:54pm

All of those work with my wife!

Pinging regulators was a major problem with early pods from 2009 and 2010.  Maybe we've hit round 2?

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 8:26pm
So is the pinging bad? Does it need to be replaced?
Larry &Pat
The Pod Couple
2001 Ford F150
2014 RPod 178
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by The Pod Couple

So is the pinging bad? Does it need to be replaced?

The pinging isn't usually a sign of anything bad.  Some podders have dealt with it for a long time without any issue or occurence.  Usually it's just an annoyance that is most always fixed with the new regulator.

As far as waking the door panel.  You just have to touch the black panel surrounding the numberpad until it lights up completely.  You shouldn't begin any of the code keying until it is fully illuminated, otherwise it will error beep at you.  Here is a link for the manual if you don't already have it!  

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 9:05pm
Thanks! I did find our manual and read it. After waking up the panel with a gentle touch, putting in the code along with the unlock button, it gives a long beep, which if I understand correctly could mean the batteries are low or I've put in the wrong code. My husband is having a go at it now. 

The problem with having a new trailer is that it makes us want to be retired. For me that's still five years off. Wink My mother tells me not to wish my life away. I'm trying, I really am.
Larry &Pat
The Pod Couple
2001 Ford F150
2014 RPod 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>