FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPod Prod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pod Prod
    Posted: 05 Oct 2013 at 10:36am
Good day and hello from Stockton, NJ.

This forum has already providing us with a wealth of information concerning our potential purchase of an R-Pod. It has been a great Pod Prod! Wink

So Monday we will visit a dealer within a two hour drive who happens to have a number of R-Pods in inventory. We think we have narrowed it down to a "new" 2013 177.

We have never done this before and although I do have 10's of thousands of (nautical) miles logged cruising small boats, this land yacht thing is totally new to both of us. Any pre-sales advice would be most appreciated.

First question would be price. I'm quoted $13,500 for a 2013 177. Realistically, in your opinion, how close would that be to the "roll-away" price? Our TV is a 2007 4Runner Limited (V6) w/towing package.

Following the above question, I'd love to hear from any member experiences with the same TV.

Are there any specific fit-n-finish areas you would concentrate on when looking at a R-Pod? Gelcoat blisters, thru hull fittings, prop damage...woops, sorry, former life...

Anyway, thanks for all the information already provided by this congenial group and thanks in advance for any further advice or Pod Prodding you may provide!

Have a great weekend!

fred
Lefty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2013 at 10:59am
We bought a new 2014 178 for $14, 500 in NC. You are also looking at a weight distribution anti sway hitch. We bought the Equalizer for $750. Also will need a brake controller. We bought the Prodigy P3. We also pull with a 2007 4Runner Limited with the towing package. We love everything.
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2013 at 11:25am
$13,537 is the price Couch's in Hamilton, OH quoted me for a 2014 178 with all the options (except for a bicycle carrier) inluding the R-Dome and axle risers.  I believe the 177 is about the same price, maybe a little less.  I don't know where you are located, but if you are not too far from there, you might ask them for a quote.  The 2014 has many options not found on the 2013 models.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2013 at 12:51pm
Wow. Thanks already for some great information. Looks like I got a little more studying to do.

Hey, here's a crazy question...

If we do decide to do this, I will want to move the pod around our property a bit. I can't just plop it in my driveway and I have a wonderful spot in the back of our relatively flat property. Sooo, what do y'all use to move your pod around besides your TV? I have a 22HP lawn tractor that I haul around quite a bit with. Would that do it?

Thanks!

fred
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2013 at 3:19pm
Sorry to be such a pest, but I just discovered that many, if not all, dealers list as options:

Interior Luxury Package
Exterior Luxury Package
Lamilux 4000 Cool Vanilla Gel-Coated Fbg
13.5Btu A/C
Convection Microwave Oven

So what is "Lamilux 4000 Cool Vanilla Gel-Coated Fbg"? Is that like the old "undercoating option" days"?

And, what would one expect to pay for A/C and microwave? Are there other "must have options" like an anchor? ;)

Thanks and I will certainly report back after meeting w/dealer Monday.

fred
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2013 at 3:45pm
Here is the feature and option page from the 2014 R-Pod brochure.  http://www.forestriverinc.com/TravelTrailers/rpod/default.aspx?page=features

The Lamilux 4000 Cool Vanilla Gel-coated fiberglass is the laminate "skin" applied to the exterior walls and roof of all R-Pods.  It is not undercoating, but is the outer surface of the laminate.  Note that in the brochure it is listed as a standard feature on all units, and is not listed under options.  I have never seen a fiberglass RV, boat or car that can be sold without the gel coat.  I have noticed that some dealers offer an exterior protectant (Zxilon or similar) which is a money-maker for them.

There is an Interior Luxury Package, an Exterior Luxury Package and the Crown Package.  Then, you can choose from the options list for other items such as axle risers, R-Dome, etc.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2013 at 4:01pm
Thanks Bob. I kinda assumed the Gel-coat shouldn't be listed as an option. Dealer misprint, I'm sure.

Thanks for the options link. I guess most rpods come with A/C? I can't seem to find specific prices for the A/C or Microwave options. No big deal, but just trying to compare.

Thanks again.

fred

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2013 at 4:32pm
Welcome.  Definitely get the anchor option, it is useful in hurricanes and tornadoes.  I agree the price you quoted is a little high for a year-old model, but it can't hurt to go and see it in person and take a printout of a lower quote for a current model as leverage.  I got my local dealer within a few hundred dollars after pulling out the quote where they wouldn't come within a few thousand before that moment.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2013 at 4:39pm
What's new in the 2014s?

It takes some digging, but I did find this listing which I think is the unit I discussed with dealer over the phone. Anyway, with all this, you still think 13.5 sounds a bit high?

2013 Forest River RV R Pod RP 177
Single Slide R-Pod Travel Trailer
Rear Queen Bed w/Overhead Ent. Center
Bath w/Toilet
Slideout Single Galley Sink/2 Burner Range and Refrig.
Overhead Cab.
Front Booth Dinette and Much More.
Front Living Area Rear Bedroom
INTERIOR LUXURY PACKAGE
EXTERIOR LUXURY PACKAGE
LAMILUX 4000 COOL VANILLA GEL-COATED FBG
13.5BTU A/C
CONVECTION MICROWAVE OVEN
DOLBY DIGITAL AM/FM/CD/DVD/TV COMBO
R-DOME AWNING W/SCREENROOM
AXLE RISER

You guys are great! 

fred

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2013 at 5:07pm
This may help others. Did help me. Sticker on 2014 177.

fred
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>