FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Podders and our Shakedown cruise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Podders and our Shakedown cruise
    Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 3:56pm
Hi everyone!

After months of lurking, reading and enjoying all of the information on this board I thought it time to finally post and introduce myself! Sorry in advance for the long post!

My beautiful wife Joni and I live in the Pacific NW, and we recently purchased a 181g. This is our first trailer of any kind and we've spent the last three weeks excited to take the Rpod out and put it through its paces! We planned our trip for last weekend (9/27 - 9/30) to Ocean City State Park on the WA coast. For anyone that lives in WA you'll note that those dates coincide with three bruising storms that came ashore Sat/Sun/Mon. Each storm contained at least 2+ inches of rain and 50+ MPH wind!

By the time we got to the campground on Friday afternoon it was too wet/windy to put up the R-Dome, which is probably a good thing since I've never done it before, so we hunkered down inside with our two furry children (Callie 60 lbs, Bear 35 lbs) and listened to the rain.

After a walk on the beach in Storm #1 on Saturday, we dried the kids off and spent time inside organizing. For dinner Joni made a pasta dish and we had wine and beer while watching Mad Men (Season 3).

Sunday we drove into Ocean Shores and spent some time on the beach watching the incredible surf that 60 mph winds kick up and learned that dogs don't care if it's stormy or not - they just want to run on the beach.

Sunday night we had soup and figured out how to use the convection microwave by making cookies. Joni then whipped me in Scrabble and we drank more wine and beer while we watched more Mad Men as Storm #2 really picked up speed.

Monday morning there was a brief break in the storms, so we dried out everything as much as possible, hooked up and headed back to Seattle.

On the way we ran into the teeth of Storm #3 that produced incredible amounts of rain/wind as we drove up I-5. I put an Andersen anti-sway hitch on my Pathfinder when we purchased the Rpod and I have to say THANK GOODNESS I DID. The amount of standing water I plowed through and the huge gusts of winds that hit us from the side made the pod wiggle, but then it would settle down and stay behind me. I am reticent to test the same conditions out without any type of WDH/anti-sway so to me the Andersen will always be the reason that drive wasn't as terrifying as it could've been. Cry

Only two downsides to the whole trip:

1) The furnace worked for about 5 min and then wouldn't come back on at all. Luckily I had thrown a ceramic heater in the pod before we left so we had good heat. I need someone to look at that because without that ceramic heater the trip would've been miserable. Angry

2) I hit the gate when we got back home pulling a little bit of the trim on the front up. I hammered it back into place, but I need to find caulk to reseal it. Anyone have any ideas on what kind of sealant FR uses? Shocked

What did we learn?

1) The Rpod will never be any smaller than it is over three nights with no Rdome and standing water all around it. It was still perfectly comfortable for the four of us.

2) The Pathfinder is a perfect match for the 181g. 14.2 MPG over ~250 miles of towing in heavy wind/rain.

3) Every pod needs a name and we let the trip provide one for ours.

Our pod is now known as The Ark Pod! Big smile

Chris and Joni

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 5:45pm
Welcome.  People in travel trailers sometimes say "welcome to the dark side, we have cookies".  Big smile
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 8:02pm
Always thrilled to have another 181g owner in the midst!!
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 8:37pm
We were just south of you in tokeland wa, nasty weather but dry and warm in our house. We are takeing the pod to auburn this week for recall work. And maybe a couple of days wandering.
M.                      Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 9:17pm
Welcome!!!!! Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 8:56am
Welcome and congrats on your Pod purchase!  Nice weather to break it in on, huh?
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 10:49am
Welcome.  Maybe you can join us next year for our Roundup.  This past August in Seaside Oregon, we had 34 campers, of which 23 were Pods and the rest were other Forest River products, and a total of 74 people.  All had a great time.  Watch this forum for updates to next years Roundup.  Might also consider replacing that mattress.  Read all the posts.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Craneman

We were just south of you in tokeland wa, nasty weather but dry and warm in our house. We are takeing the pod to auburn this week for recall work. And maybe a couple of days wandering.
M.                      Moe
Hey Dagi, Yup, it was a little wet and windy here in Ocean Shores, as usual over the fall and winter. About two weeks out of the year, this is the most beautiful place in the world to live--we just never know when we're gonna get those two weeks. 

And Moe, if you're going to the infamous Poulsbo RV in Auburn, they took about 5 hours to do ours last fall. We took a looong lunch! Poulsbo did a nice job with the recall stuff though-no holes in the roof and ran the wires under the plastic side strip.  Hopefully they've increased their install speed. It's a long drive out and back for us beach bums just to get this done!
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 3:30pm
And Moe, if you're going to the infamous Poulsbo RV in Auburn, they took about 5 hours to do ours last fall. We took a looong lunch! Poulsbo did a nice job with the recall stuff though-no holes in the roof and ran the wires under the plastic side strip.  Hopefully they've increased their install speed. It's a long drive out and back for us beach bums just to get this done!

The gal told us they would have to keep it over night for the adhesive to cure, so we make it a visiting trip for A day or so.. Besides gives us a chance to go to camping world and spend some money

Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

Row pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 4:13pm
We are also newbies.  Sally and Libby.  We are competitive master rowers so have to pick between our toys, 2 single shells or 2 kayaks. Have had the 182G since August. Pull vehicle is a 2006 Ford Expedition 5.4L.  I haven't figured out how to post a post, but figured out how to reply.

We stopped by the Round Up in Sea side and talked with a few of the Podders who were in camp. We spent some time at Fort Stevens State Park in Oregon mid September.  Great lake for kayaking and/or rowing.  Also miles of biking trails.  Would have gone more often but couldn't get reservations (we are still picky about having water/electricity)

I have also learned that out heater won't work.  It runs, but blows out only cold air and then only runs for 4 minutes.  Will schedule service after our next Pod adventure which is next week somewhere Central/Southern Oregon Coast.

Couple of questions for Podders out there.
1. Are stabilizer bars necessary with such a heavy TV?
2. At the moment the Pod is outside (have a big boat I need to sell, wrong season) being that we live in Oregon and it rains during the winter is it best to try and find a cover (any recommendations?) or Throw a tarp over but not fully enclose?
3. Has anyone designed an awning for overnight trips?

Will post pictures when I figure out how. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>