R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed12V outlets wanted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12V outlets wanted
    Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 12:29am
We'd like to add some 12V receptacles. 
I was looking for the water pump, and when looking behind (breaking through, actually) the cabinet under the sink, I noticed some red and white wire pairs.  Are these 12V lines?  Is red "hot"?  Would I be able to tap into those for a 12V receptacle?  How do I fix the "walls" of the cabinet (hah!)?

We got two deep cycle batteries for our two CPAP'S (which we have been hooking up directly to the battery via cord).  So far, it looks like one machine only uses around 25% of one battery (or 1/8th of both). Hopefully we'll have plenty of power for lights and appliances.  I DO wish the AC would run on 12V!
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 4:04am
I use a CPAP also.  On my Pod the bed is directly under the TV/radio combo.  The TV amplifier runs on 12v so I taped into that for the CPAP.  I have no idea what those wires are for that you found.  There will be people checking in with other suggestions.

I take it that you are planning on camping without hookups because the CPAP runs on 110v AC with its power cord.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Jdub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 9:32am
Terry, just how do you tap into those lines for the 12v? Red goes to what??? Black to ????

After a recent extended trip I realized how nice it would be to have 12v outlets in the pod...the 178 doesn't have any. 
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 10:28am
I don't know what the load of a CPAP is, but I would pull a stand alone 12v circuit from the box. On ours we have 3 open 12v slots, if I remember correct. 12v is very straight forward, a positive and a negative. Pulling from the box, the positive wire will be anchored next to the fuse slot you want to use, and the negative will come back to the ground. Look at any other 12v circuit in the box and copy it.

From your description, the wires you found under the sink are on the 120v circuit and are fused links. (that's what I found under mine)

We added 2 12v outlets in our 177, one on the front street side bench and one next to the bed. I just tapped into the power sources for the propane detector and the heater fan motor. But, I am not plugging in medical equipment, if I was, as I said, I would pull a new circuit.
waterflaws View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 11:01am
We plan on quite a few trips where there will be no electric hookups.  We have 2 of ResMed's 12V converters.  I'm guessing that battery output will decrease as the temperatures get colder?
r-pod 2013 177
TV 2002 Sport Trac
The Pod Couple
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 11:01am
I have and use a CPAP every time we go podding.  We stay in locations with electricity so I can use the 110v outlet right on the side of my bed for it.  I wouldn't even consider using it on 12 volts.

The average CPAP is consuming 20 watts ... to know for sure what yours does then look on the bottom of it for the sticker that has the Amperes number and Volts number and multiply the 2 together.  Remember that if you are also using a humidifier on your CPAP you need to add that in as well because it contains a separate heating element in it.  Using it all night, set up on a deep-cycle battery, has shown that it will drain the battery usually after 4 nights of usage.  That is not including any other additional loads you would be putting on the battery, especially if you are boon-docking it. 

Of course, if you are only out for 1-2 nights you can risk it with less of a chance of draining your battery, or if you have doubled-up your batteries you will definitely be better off.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 1:14pm
I wouldn't even rely on the VA calculation - get a Kill-A-Watt for $25 and measure the actual use.  Bbattery operation with the heater may be impossible.  Resistive heating is always a large load, and may be too much even for one night.  20 watts (which must be w/o heater) is 1.67 amps at 12 volts, which is very doable.  9 hours would be 15 amps or about 3 nights from your typical deep cycle battery (to stay above 50%) IF no other loads in the camper were run from that battery.  Adding in LPG detector, brains of the fridge, some lighting and water pump usage and I would fully recharge after 2 nights.  Yes, cold weather does reduce the available amps.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 1:34pm
I do love playing with my kill-a-watt...
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 3:45pm
Been gone for awhile.  My CPAP runs on 12DC supplied by the little gray inline box.  It changes 120v AC to 12DC.  The box says 12v @5.0 amps.

The CPAP says 12v @ 5.0 amps.  Interesting!  The humidifier doesn't say anything about power consumption!

When I'm at a campground I use the humidifier.  Out in the boonies I don't, but I'm never out for more than a couple of days.

Terry
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Jdub

Terry, just how do you tap into those lines for the 12v? Red goes to what??? Black to ????

After a recent extended trip I realized how nice it would be to have 12v outlets in the pod...the 178 doesn't have any. 

The female 12v part that I used had a red and black wire on it.  So that wasn't a problem.  One thing to note:  If you have the same unit as I do, it doesn't matter how the 120v wires go into the inline box.  You can unplug the 110v input wire and reverse it, plug it in and it works fine.

My CPAP is a Philips Respironics, REMstar Auto, A-Flex.

Terry

EDIT: I do have 2 12v batteries
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>