R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtowing vehicles?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Thinker View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: towing vehicles?
    Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by JACKPOD

We purchased a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder just prior to taking a long trip this summer. We drove 4194 miles and averaged 12.4 mpg for the trip. We were towing for most of the miles and when on freeways, going 60-70 mph - probably averaging 65 and pushing it up to 75 sometimes on the day we drove home from northern Texas. We also were pretty heavy - found out we don't need about a third of the stuff we packed. We are in love with the Pathfinder. Tows like a dream and when not towing, it's very quiet and handles beautifully.      Happy Shopping!!

We love our Pathfinder as well
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Camper Bob

We're approaching 90,000.  When the odometer hits 100,000 it falls off the Blue Book price guide.  Want to have some residual value to use as a down payment on new vehicle.  I'm sure many have vehicles that have twice the mileage, but would rather not be in Possum Trot Falls, Idaho when the tranny gives up.  New car, new warranty.  Plus, don't want to have to make payments on new $50K auto with no down payment.  Capice?  Safe Travels.

Sigh ... wish I had known this earlier this year as I have recently learned it the hard way.  Looking at replacing our TV and had decent trade-in value on it until it rolled over 100K in July.  Now it is half of what it was ... crap.  Gonna just be more out of pocket for me to pay, and solidified for us the need to buy used rather than new.  M is pushing me to get it replaced since she is worried that it is going to die on us in the middle of the trip, and she has fore-warned me that she will not be a happy camper if that happens ... literally and figuratively.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 11:20pm
Ron, I'm delighted that your delighted with your choice.  Personally, I don't think you can change a corporate culture.  I don't want to be a guniea pig for beancounters.  Safety is very much a concern for me, my family, and to all others.  Making a large investment in a vehicle is something that I take a great deal of time to explore.  The company and the quality of the product that they produce help me decide where to spend my money.  For my dollar, and in my personal opinion, GM and now Honda are where I would spend my money on.  We are all entitled to our opinions.  Sometimes they don't coincide with others.  That's life.  I hope you continue to post here.  It would be a loss to us all if you decided not to.   Safe Travels. 
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
wallawallaron View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Originally posted by wallawallaron

[QUOTE=Camper Bob]Just to add more fodder to this post.  I am needing to replace our Tahoe next year.  I looked at the Honda SUV, not sure of the model. Very interesting.  Now has increased their towing capacity to 4500 lbs.  Honda has had the least number of recalls of the Japanese manufacturers.  Toyota seems to be leading with the number of recalls they have had.  I still can't forgive or forget Ford and their fiasco with the Pinto fuel tanks.  Penny pinching killed a great number for want of a 50 cent fix.  For me either another Tahoe in the $50K range or the Honda for about $35k.  Do some serious comparisons, before purchasing.  Safe Travels. 

Gee Bob, sounds like you would never buy a Ford F 150 over something happened over 30 years ago.Confused

Better not buy  Japanese made car because of WWII.  To each there own.  You could say even more money and just replace the transmission with a new one now .

I hope you find the TV you want but please no more lame reasons not to buy a very good product.

WWR

There are companies that I won't support for things they did to me in the past, or policies they hold today.

We work hard to keep this forum pleasant and open to everyone, let's keep the insults out of it.

I think you are way over sensitive.  Its O.K. to complain about something that happened over 30 yrs ago but to state my view and state another example which was just as lame doesn't sit well with your sensitive soul. Sorry about that I guess you won't have to listen to my view anymore . This form has become way to sensitive for me.  Read his post over he is the one complaining  about something that happened 30years ago. So long happy poding. P. S. Your view of a insult is you opinion,none was felt on this end.

WallaWallaron,2012 RP177 H.R.E.,2010 F-150.NRA Life Member
9/11 Never Forget
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by wallawallaron

Just to add more fodder to this post.  I am needing to replace our Tahoe next year.  I looked at the Honda SUV, not sure of the model. Very interesting.  Now has increased their towing capacity to 4500 lbs.  Honda has had the least number of recalls of the Japanese manufacturers.  Toyota seems to be leading with the number of recalls they have had.  I still can't forgive or forget Ford and their fiasco with the Pinto fuel tanks.  Penny pinching killed a great number for want of a 50 cent fix.  For me either another Tahoe in the $50K range or the Honda for about $35k.  Do some serious comparisons, before purchasing.  Safe Travels. 

Gee Bob, sounds like you would never buy a Ford F 150 over something happened over 30 years ago.Confused

Better not buy  Japanese made car because of WWII.  To each there own.  You could say even more money and just replace the transmission with a new one now .

I hope you find the TV you want but please no more lame reasons not to buy a very good product.

WWR

There are companies that I won't support for things they did to me in the past, or policies they hold today.

We work hard to keep this forum pleasant and open to everyone, let's keep the insults out of it.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
JACKPOD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 9:10pm
We purchased a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder just prior to taking a long trip this summer. We drove 4194 miles and averaged 12.4 mpg for the trip. We were towing for most of the miles and when on freeways, going 60-70 mph - probably averaging 65 and pushing it up to 75 sometimes on the day we drove home from northern Texas. We also were pretty heavy - found out we don't need about a third of the stuff we packed. We are in love with the Pathfinder. Tows like a dream and when not towing, it's very quiet and handles beautifully.      Happy Shopping!!
Pam and Jack
Abby the Bichon
RP 176 towed with 2013
Nissan Pathfinder
wallawallaron View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 8:53pm

Just to add more fodder to this post.  I am needing to replace our Tahoe next year.  I looked at the Honda SUV, not sure of the model. Very interesting.  Now has increased their towing capacity to 4500 lbs.  Honda has had the least number of recalls of the Japanese manufacturers.  Toyota seems to be leading with the number of recalls they have had.  I still can't forgive or forget Ford and their fiasco with the Pinto fuel tanks.  Penny pinching killed a great number for want of a 50 cent fix.  For me either another Tahoe in the $50K range or the Honda for about $35k.  Do some serious comparisons, before purchasing.  Safe Travels. 

WWR
WallaWallaron,2012 RP177 H.R.E.,2010 F-150.NRA Life Member
9/11 Never Forget
HappyCampers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 8:21pm
for what it's worth, we have an older Honda pilot (2007), and it has been great. it works well for us as a tow vehicle, but we only have time for short-distance trips. various friends have various other model years, and we all love them. As mentioned above, you just need to figure out what works best for your needs.
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 7:54pm
We're approaching 90,000.  When the odometer hits 100,000 it falls off the Blue Book price guide.  Want to have some residual value to use as a down payment on new vehicle.  I'm sure many have vehicles that have twice the mileage, but would rather not be in Possum Trot Falls, Idaho when the tranny gives up.  New car, new warranty.  Plus, don't want to have to make payments on new $50K auto with no down payment.  Capice?  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 7:04pm

Just to add more fodder to this post.  I am needing to replace our Tahoe next year.  ...

What is driving the replacement?  Miles on the odometer?

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>