R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterizing Newbie question - Event Date: 22 Sep 2013 - 30 Sep 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Winterizing Newbie question
    Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 3:59pm
I actually have a glass every night at bedtime!!!!!!!kidding.  Furpod, are you just blowing lines out or doing something different.  just curious.  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
TrinityTurret View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 4:04pm
Here's what I was talking about, referring to the 'walmart' RV antifreeze:

http://www.heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/34372-Warning-toxic-antifreeze/page2
There's only one way...
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 4:19pm
I think that

A) there is some confusion on/in that linked discussion.

B) EVERYTHING is toxic if you ingest enough of it. You can DIE from water poisoning if you try hard enough.

C) Somewhere, somebody, thinks everything can kill you. In California they put prop 65 warnings on Orange Juice.

D) ANYTHING can be made to sound scary if you try.. Here is an MSDS to some nasty stuff , see how dangerous it is.. can you figure out how you are in contact with it EVERYDAY??

E) RELAX.. you are not, by far, the first person to winterize an RV with pink stuff, as far as I know, no one has died from winterizing yet. Come spring you rinse it all out and sanitize the system anyways.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 4:20pm
Yes, furpod you are so right..... :)

LOL.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide_hoax
There's only one way...
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by hogone

I actually have a glass every night at bedtime!!!!!!!kidding.  Furpod, are you just blowing lines out or doing something different.  just curious.  hogone

I do in fact blow my lines. I have a large compressor, set it at 30 psi, and let it blow all the lines out for about 20 minutes. Ok.. last year I forgot about it and it went an hour.. lol.

before blowing, I run the pump dry, and drain as much as I can with the low point drains. I also drain the WH at the anode, then replace it for the air part, then take it back out for the winter. I put pink stuff in the traps and the black water tank, just enough to protect the dump valves.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 4:33pm
Our "plan" is to winterize with pink stuff in a couple weeks...then take a 'southern' trip in early January, 'de-winterizing' somewhere along the way at a KOA, e.g. when the weather warms up...then after a nice little stay down south, return northward, and winterize once again before we get too far into the colder climate. Is this the 'general' idea when making a cold-weather trip southward? Suggestions, warnings, etc are most welcome! LOL

One of the big questions I do have is "how much water needs to run through the city water input to get rid of all the pink? Obviously, when the 'pink is gone', it may not be r-e-a-l-l-y outa there...so I'm curious...
There's only one way...
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 4:44pm
Where are you starting from?

If you are starting out in a couple weeks, you may not need to winterize now. I wouldn't if I didn't have to. If it's "doable" just put a small ceramic heater in the pod to keep the lines in there from freezing. Drain the FW holding tank, and run the pump dry. Dump gray and black. Should be fine. If it's below freezing when you pull out.. turn on the propane and heater.

I have actually considered that if the holding tanks are all empty, and the water pump run dry, a heater keeping the pod warm will protect it all winter.. just like your home. I have not tested this theory.. but it should work.. lol
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 4:47pm
Starting from northern Arkansas, would head to Florida. Remember, I'm the one who didn't wanna run the propane fridge while driving, LOL . . . . 

Running a heater all winter would really jack up our electric bill Sleepy
There's only one way...
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 5:31pm
We left one in the pod last winter, set around 45 degrees, didn't notice a hit at all on the bill. it's a 1000 watts, running a couple hours a day max, here, that is literally 20 cents a day. We had winterized..

Don't know how northern AR you are, but when we lived in FT Smith, while we didn't have a TT then, I wouldn't be worried about winterizing before late November. Might be a little worried if you are in the Ozarks. But not a lot.

Oh, and you will get over most of these worries with experience.. don't sweat it.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 5:34pm
We're near Jonesboro....right where the Ozarks end and the rice fields begin. Yeah, I know, experience is the best teacher---already given me confidence in tank dumping, LOL

There's only one way...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>