R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFirst Trip Problems - Event Date: 11 Sep 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: First Trip Problems
    Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by BigEyeDuck

For a prospective buyer, this is not what I want to hear. Good thing the West Coast factory is only 70 miles from where I live.

Understand forums tend to have posts from people who have had trouble. Many of us have had little things but nothing major. And some of the complaints are things that bother some but not others. an example would be the forum member who without fail has to tell everyone that the mattress needs to be replaced. We are on the third year with ours and it is just fine. Or the people who dislike the shower, and the AC is loud and it goes on and on. Know that there are plenty of satisfied customers, far more than are angry.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Rabbit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 2:31pm
I agree with your post. It is informative for me to here what is happening with other pods that is important one way or another. No one should post "angry" rants.
Paige View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 3:16pm
None of the camper trailers we bought were new...so we just assumed that there would be things we would have to fix.  We bought a Chalet,,,like an ALiner,,,and we had to tear up the whole floor and replace it...not a fun job.  But then we made lots of modifications.  We bought a 28 foot trailer that had floor damage due to poor window seals, we fixed the floor.  When we bought our 2010 rPod, second hand, of course, there was really nothing to fix!  We noticed a possible sealant problem around one of the windows, so we fixed that. We have been really pleased with the quality of work in the rPod.
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 4:25pm
We've had ours for coming up on 1 year now, and we have had no major issues with it what-so-ever.  We have had a few minor issues to deal with, but nothing out of the ordinary in our minds.  Honestly, go around and really check out other trailers in this size and price range ... we did, and the Pods are far better built than anything else out there.  We also bought from a dealer that came highly recommended to us by another Podder, and the way we were treated when we went to pick it up really showed.  Top to bottom, side to side, and everything in-between was shown to us, demonstrated and explained.  Buying from a quality dealer is by far one of the most important things to being satisfied with the purchase.

Now, if you are having issues with holes not being sealed up, slides not working, major water leaks, and so on, I would not hesitate if I were you to take it back to the dealer and make them fix it to your satisfaction under warranty. 
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 5:41pm

We have now owned our west coast manufactured Rpod for 15 months and have traveled over 10,000 miles and 13 trips.  The Rpod has performed flawlessly, and other than having been delivered with brakes out of adjustment, it has been great.  I had read a number of posts on this forum before taking delivery and was able to add or change things based on others experiences.  I can't think of anything more aggravating while camping is to not being able to sleep because of an inadequate mattress or being too hot or too cold.  My wife and I are of average size and weight, but the original mattress was not acceptable.  Taking the advice of others before me, we opted to replace the mattress upon delivery. We couldn't be more comfortable.  Rather than have others find out about the mattress underperforming, I have felt that as a fellow podder, my advice was to advise them to replace the mattress. That still holds true.  As far as initial problems with you Rod, I truly believe the delivering dealer should do a complete inspection prior to delivery.  Most do, some don't.  Hope this clears up any concerns you may have about buying an Rpod manufactured here in Oregon.  Continue to read the posts here as they are invaluable in making your camping pleasureable.  Safe Travels     

Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
BigEyeDuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2013 at 11:44am
Bob, who did you work with here in Oregon?? Fun Time in Portland or Sutton in Eugene??

I was down in Eugene last week for the Duck game and camped at Armitage Campground (great campground by the way) but their Sewer hookups were farther from the pad then my grey water hose so I ran over to George Sutton to grab a 6 ft discharge hose.

Of course Sutton has all the Rpods and Airstreams right out front and I could not resist a few walkthroughs.

We currently own the largest popup you can buy in a Fleetwood Utah CP. Love it but hate the "popup issues" with camping in Oregon i.e. rain, wet canvas etc.

I was really impressed with the 178 which is why talking with the wife the idea is starting to gain traction.
It is just the two of us and the 6 yr old.
2005 Nissan Frontier Nismo Crew Cab
2005 Fleetwood Utah CP
In the marklet for a new 178
BigEyeDuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2013 at 12:31pm
The other big thing for me, the rpod is 700 lbs lighter then my current Utah.
I can tow the Utah just fine but will be nice to not tow something so heavy.
2005 Nissan Frontier Nismo Crew Cab
2005 Fleetwood Utah CP
In the marklet for a new 178
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2013 at 1:13pm

Keep in mind the aeodynamics of the pod are much more important that the weight, once you are at highway speeds.  I also owned one of the largest popups, the Coleman Grandview SP, which like yours was much heavier than my pod.  The Sienna I had at the time never had any problems pulling the popup but with strong headwinds on one trip I did have problems with the pod.  I had it floored just to maintain 50 and ended up getting 8 mpg on that tank of gas (strong stormfront which produced many tornadoes behind us).

That said the pod is the easiest-towing trailer I've ever pulled.  Between the radial tires and torsion suspension it is very smooth.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
RickandDenise View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 8:14pm
we have been out with our 178 about 8 times in the last two months and have had no problems
Rick and Denise Kennedy
2014 Rpod 178 pulled by a 2013
Toyota Sienna
Camping with Dixie(English bulldog) Stinky(maltipoo)and
Wednesday a 18 year old cockapoo
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by RickandDenise

we have been out with our 178 about 8 times in the last two months and have had no problems

Awesome!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>