R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFirst Trip Problems - Event Date: 11 Sep 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: First Trip Problems
    Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 1:28pm
We had hot water trouble on our first trip last weekend, because no one ever closed the mixing valve, so water was luke warm. It is fixed now and looking forwad to the next trip.
Happy Couple
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by kymooses

Originally posted by furpod

Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

This is unscientific, but it seems like the majority of initial problems seem to come from pods made out west.  I know some come from Indiana, but it seems like the real troubles come from the west plant.

I overheard much the same sentiment from someone who knows things..

^ ditto this statement!

Betcha I know who.  Clap  I'm surprised they said as much.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by GaryMenne

... We want to utilize the unused underseat space where the fuse box is located, so will fabricate a box similar to what another r poder had done and access it by a half hinged seat base. This will be a winter project along with fixing the dinette seat side supports mentioned in my initial post. 

Sadly, the first few years FR did this from the factory.  Why they took it away we'll never know, that's a huge area to just give up for lack of a single piece of plywood 1' x 1'.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by tlbhou1

We had hot water trouble on our first trip last weekend, because no one ever closed the mixing valve, so water was luke warm. It is fixed now and looking forwad to the next trip.

Very common problem with new pods.  Since the water system is dry from the factory I don't know why so many leave the factory with the valves set for "winterization mode".
Paige View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 8:01pm
We have a 177. It also had the flimsy vinyl covered L shaped pieces that held in the dinette cushions.  So we replaced them with stained wood and they work great!
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents
Rabbit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 8:42pm
I had two floods, one when the sink drain was not hooked up. Just hanging there picking up about 10% of the water, what a mess. The next time out we find the hot water hose is not near tight.
Totally disgusted.   
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 9:23pm
Our dealer went all through the pod and tried everything. I don't know if they found anything to fix, but everything was working when we got our walkthrough and we didn't have leaks or miss set valves or anything. I agree that FR shouldn't let things go if they are not right, but neither should the dealer for what they make on each one.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
GaryMenne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 10:03pm
Does anyone know who to call to find out what stain was used on my cabinets so I can match the color with my knew modifications. Also, what type of wood was used. It looks like it might be cherry.
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 9:48am
SmileWhen I took delivery of my POD I assumed that I would have to spend the first couple of weekends finishing off what the factory didn't...  

I previously owned a Forest River RV and ended up spending quite a bit of time fixing 'minor' problems: 'unfoamed' plumbing holes in the floor that allowed mice to come in, transmission cooling lines that were crimped by the front leveling jacks, drawers that fell out because the plastic slides had been broken by overtightening, etc. etc.

My Pod had oversized plumbing holes beneath the shower pan that had, again, not been foamed in, no insulation between the door and the side wall (I could see daylight next to the frame), sink P-trap that had not been tightened, water pipe connectors that were tightened only by one thread, two drawers with damaged plastic slides, too-short anchor screws which tore out the first time we used the table as a bed platform, etc.

I started on the front of the POD and slowly made my way to the rear, on both the outside/bottom and interior looking at every inch of the unit.

You may not like the idea of having to do work that should have been quality checked at the factory but this is what you get when there are fewer and fewer manufacturers.  The ones that skimp on quality control have a price advantage over the others.
TIDALWAVE
BigEyeDuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 1:07pm
For a prospective buyer, this is not what I want to hear. Good thing the West Coast factory is only 70 miles from where I live.
2005 Nissan Frontier Nismo Crew Cab
2005 Fleetwood Utah CP
In the marklet for a new 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>