R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFirst Trip Problems - Event Date: 11 Sep 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
EmptyNesters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: First Trip Problems
    Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 6:50am
That is exactly what happened to us, we were towing in the rain and the pod floor was soaked, but once we got to our site it was no longer raining. Later that day it started pouring and the water was coming in on the lower right corner of the slideout, I will keep you posted as to what we find out, so far I can't see anything wrong with the seals or caulking anywhere.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 6:44am
retiredtraveler, once I find out where the leak is and what the fix will be I will be sure to post. We can see the water coming in from the lower right hand corner of the slide out while in the pod, but from the outside everything looks fine, not sure yet exactly how its getting in. 
wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 1:53pm
We also have not had any problems. Heavy rains and some other storms have blown through. We haven't noticed any leaking at all. We weren't able to have a walkthrough do to our dealer being three hours away.

We looked at many trailers and rv's before stlling on the rpod. We were very impressed with the product. A couple things to mention..

The air conditioner is loud! We didn't care though because it's awesome!! Cools off the pod in no time. Also, it has vents that allow directing the flow. Very nice.
The furnace does have a fan that is a little loud, but very functional. We got the pod and it was 75 out. All the windows and the door was open when I turned it on to test it. The furnace made the pod hot enough for me to want it off within a minute.
We have a 182, so there is only the dinette sleeper. The cushions are comfortable, but thry are different sizes. A little wierd sleeping on them. We bought a Lyksele Lovase from Ikea. It was suggested on the forum and fits perfect!   We put it on top of the cushions and love it. It's futon mattress and folds in half which makes for easy storage on a bunk.
Overall, we are very pleased! The pod is great for our family.

Our wish list....
Dual propane and dual battery options!! Also, a built in water purifier for the sink. Good thing is that other owners have posted mods for the duals and a purifier can be purchased and easily installed.
2014 rpod 182G
Ford Expedition
asreichler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 1:23pm
Are these same type of problems found on boats, which take as much of a beating as a RV.
Allen
2014 178 TV 2004 Dodge 2500 deisel
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by retiredtraveler

I'm not a pod owner (yet), but I can tell you from years of owning a popup and being on RV forums that your experience is, unfortunately, very common. Contrary to what many people understand, a portion of assembly goes on at the dealership. Caulking is one of those things often done at the dealer, and often done badly. Other assembly tasks are done and again, often done badly.
   This is poor workmanship on the part of the dealer. And, as you did, many of us (including me), didn't go back to the dealer and instead, reworked these things ourselves.
   RV's, for the most part, are cheaply made and often poorly assembled. Having something that is not working properly, as your water pump, is due to dealer not setting up and inspecting the unit.   

Not on the pods. they do that at the factory. the pods leave there ready for delivery, other than cleaning and prep from the drive etc. seen it. Been there. got the T shirt, and a sticker.

The Fact is, that caulking, is and always will be, an ongoing issue that owners of all RV's have to stay on top of. It's way worse than, say your house, which is what most owners compare to, and just like keeping up with water fittings etc, it has to be done. I gurrreeenteee that if you took most owners homes (which they of course have never had these kind of problems with) and roll them down the interstate and through a few campgrounds and over some speed bumps etc.. they will find way more problems then they do with their TT's. Wink
retiredtraveler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 10:25am
    Do you know the cause of the leak?

I'm 'lurking' on this forum as I'm interested in possibly getting a new pod and it's just this sort of nonsense that continues to put me off on trading my popup in. As I posted, it's almost the rule, rather than the exception, to have all kinds of fit-and-finish stuff to be done 'crappily' on RV's, across the board. I've talked to many TT owners, with expensive rigs, that have the same issues.
    But there are loose screws, and then there are major leaks due to bad caulking or weatherstripping that damage your brand-new unit and compromise it for the long run (rotten floor in a few years?).  I know some dealers (probably only a handful), due a major leak test on units by pouring a whole lot of water on them, sometimes via a pressure washer, to find leaks.  

Please post problem and resolution (once you get one), if you would be so kind.
Looking hard at a pod
2006 Jayco 1206 (pup) with slideout, shower,solar
2005 Nissan Xterra (probably going to new Nissan Frontier)
Into hard-core hiking and biking
Hylandspirit View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 7:50pm
Emptynesters - we had that same wet floor problem on our second or third day out with our 2014 178.  We drove through rain all day and when we stopped for the evening, the floor was sopping wet.  We could not figure out if the water came up under the slideout.  It was not enough to ruin our floor, so we just wiped it up and have not been in rain since then.  We looked for rain coming in while we were stopped,but could not see a source.  It's interesting to hear of someone else having the same issue.  We will definitely have to watch it.   Thanks for the post.
Roxanne and Rick
Bella, Cuban dingo dog
RR-Pod 178
2006 Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 6:14pm
I removed those trim pieces almost immediately.  No problem with the cushions moving even without the trim.  Same for the "peg and hole" they use to hold the table in place.  Removed it after it kept poking me and the table has never moved.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 5:26pm
The trim pieces on the dinette seats are doomed to fail, ours were ruined by our second trip. I saw somewhere on here where someone had replaced them with solid wood. I have a 2014 178 and I have had a few problems so far, I had screws that popped through the exterior of the pod. Forest River had us take it to a body shop and the repair is unoticable. I am going to contact Forest River again this week as now our slide out is leaking. We towed it this weekend in the rain and the pod was full of water, there was so much water that the flooring in front of the bathroom is curling up. While we were camping we saw the water coming in from behind the trim around the slideout. It is a real bummer when stuff like this happens but at least Forest River stands behind their product and makes things right. 
retiredtraveler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 9:15am
I'm not a pod owner (yet), but I can tell you from years of owning a popup and being on RV forums that your experience is, unfortunately, very common. Contrary to what many people understand, a portion of assembly goes on at the dealership. Caulking is one of those things often done at the dealer, and often done badly. Other assembly tasks are done and again, often done badly.
   This is poor workmanship on the part of the dealer. And, as you did, many of us (including me), didn't go back to the dealer and instead, reworked these things ourselves.
   RV's, for the most part, are cheaply made and often poorly assembled. Having something that is not working properly, as your water pump, is due to dealer not setting up and inspecting the unit.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>