R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFirst Trip Problems - Event Date: 11 Sep 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: First Trip Problems
    Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 8:45pm
We took our first trip last week to the Olympic Peninsula in our brand new 2014 177 R Pod. Before we even started there was a problem with our water pump. After talking to a dealer tech I opened up the area under the bed and found a loose fitting on the pump. Tightened and solved the problem. On the road.

The next problem had to do with the vinyl covered L shaped plywood pieces that hold the dinette cushions in place. You can't really get into the seat without putting some pressure on these pieces and so the screw holding one side pulled out. I looked at the other side and these pieces were not installed flush to the side panels they were screwed into. There was a trim piece on both sides of each panel that was not trimmed so the panel would sit flat and screw completely. The other side screw pulled out shortly after the first. The end panels should have been made with one piece so these L shaped pieces would not be necessary. I will use 7/8 inch plywood and make end panels to get rid of the L shaped pieces.

There were open gaps in the shower caulking. I had to visit the local Ace HW before we could use the shower.

Now the slide is starting to act up. It stops midway through opening or closing and I need to cycle it in and out to get it full in or out. It doesn't sound the same at the stop as it did during my orientation.

Don't get me wrong we love our R Pod and believe these problem have simple solutions but the dealer we bought from is a 5 hour drive and the nearest local service is about a 2 hour trip. If we have to bring it in for warranty work it would be a hardship for us.

I would like to know if anyone else has had any of these issues and what was done to resolve them. Are the slides easy to work on? Is this something I can do?
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 9:34pm
Ours never went back to the dealer after we bought it. We are on our third season. I have done some minor screw tightening ect but no issues. I wonder is it due to the level of dealer prep or what. Forest River pays the dealer x amount to do a pre delivery, I wonder if your dealer did it, I betcha they got the money for the pre delivery. I found out Forest River required the selling dealer to provide a basic get you started kit. We got a 25 foot power cable, an ac adaptor for a 20 amp circuit, chemicals for the toilet. toilet paper, a 25 foot water hose, a water pressure regulator and a full tank of l.p. gas. A 24 group brand name battery, spare tire cover, a l.p. gas tank cover. and a good walk around including a set up of the included R Dome.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
The Pod Couple View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 9:47pm
Dane and Donna,
Thank you for posting all that the dealer is required to include in the set up and delivery of an RPod. We are still waiting for the delivery of our 178. It's good to be able to go in with that information.
Larry &Pat
The Pod Couple
2001 Ford F150
2014 RPod 178
wherestheyeast View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 2:10am
Gary,
I had a handful of problems with my pod following my initial trip. The two biggies included a toilet flange that was only secured half-way & door/screen problems. Others seem to have bad no problems at all.

TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 4:19am
I have a 2010 Pod.  No real problems, just a couple of minor things.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 5:10am
This is unscientific, but it seems like the majority of initial problems seem to come from pods made out west.  I know some come from Indiana, but it seems like the real troubles come from the west plant.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 8:01am
Well, a lot of people with earlier "eastern" pods had problems with the back window seal and drain pipe fittings which were never tightened, or not tightened enough (we had this problem under the sink).

Welcome Gary.  I would report your slide issue to your dealer now and arrange for it to be fixed under warranty this winter after the camping season is over.  This could be done by the closer dealer - if they are willing to do it, they are not required to work on campers they didn't sell but most will.  Maybe you can make a final trip of the season out of the ordeal by camping close to the dealer for the weekend and then dropping it off on Sunday afternoon?  I've done this several times with mine since they are 1 1/2 hours away.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

This is unscientific, but it seems like the majority of initial problems seem to come from pods made out west.  I know some come from Indiana, but it seems like the real troubles come from the west plant.

I overheard much the same sentiment from someone who knows things..
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 8:50am
Originally posted by furpod

Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

I overheard much the same sentiment from someone who knows things..

^ ditto this statement!
GaryMenne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 12:09pm
Thanks everyone for your comments. I really enjoy reading about the modifications that people have made to their r pods. We have made some and have a few of our own planned. We want to utilize the unused underseat space where the fuse box is located, so will fabricate a box similar to what another r poder had done and access it by a half hinged seat base. This will be a winter project along with fixing the dinette seat side supports mentioned in my initial post. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>