R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLeak Under Wind Spoiler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BendPod View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leak Under Wind Spoiler
    Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 4:07pm
Hey asreichler, 
As I mentioned in my other post, my warranty has expired.  The dealer might have fixed it, since it so egregious, but I'm kind of beaten down by dealers service departments and don't really trust them to fix the problem for the long run. I'd rather do it myself.
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 4:03pm
BendPod:  What year and model?
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
BendPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 4:01pm
My R-Pod is way past it's warranty. It's a 2011, 172. No one was more surprised than me to see that 3" hole through the fiberglass / laminate, especially with the pride FR takes in the "seamless" leak proof ceiling construction. I'm very interested to see if anyone else has removed the spoiler and how their wires are run through the roof.  
asreichler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 3:53pm
BendPod why did you fix the problem rather than let a dealer see the issue and fix it?
Allen
2014 178 TV 2004 Dodge 2500 deisel
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 3:18pm
THe factory spoiler is in fact different from the recall one, ay least comparing my recall one to Tank's Mom's new 2013..
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 2:54pm
Didn't I read somewhere that on the older models that were recalled, the light bar (spoiler)  has its wires running to the left trim channel and then is routed down under the vinyl trim to the rear of the trailer?  Then it was connected to the license plate wiring.  I had no idea that FR would penetrate the fiberglass to run the wiring on the newer models. 

2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 2:38pm
If you are still under warranty I would contact your dealership immediately.  FR should fix any damage.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
BendPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 1:47pm
This is a warning for the owner's of newer R-pods that have the rear wind spoiler with the LED lights. During a heavy rain storm we noticed a bad leak coming inside the R-pod rear wall (between the ceiling and rear internal panel). I could not find the problem until I noticed some cracking, in the caulk, along the top edge of the wind spoiler. I removed the entire spoiler and found that Forest River had cut a 3" diameter hole through the outside of the R-pod to allow for the passage of the two small electrical wires. The hole was not filled or covered in any way. The caulk at the top of the spoiler failed, while the caulk at the bottom held. This allowed water to fill the inside of the spoiler until it started pouring into the 3" hole. Also, Forest River used regular metal, pan head screws to secure the spoiler. All the screws had rusted and the screw holes had stripped due to water damage. 

I filled the 3" hole with waterproof, low pressure, expanding foam. I filled the screw holes and secured the spoiler with STAINLESS STEEL pan-head screws. Finally I only caulked the top and sides of the spoiler to allowing water, getting behind the spoiler, to seep out the bottom. I have no idea how much damage was done to the inside paneling. I probably have a mold garden growing in there by now.

Nice craftsmanship FR!
BendPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12