R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbattery maintenance questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: battery maintenance questions
    Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 5:20am
So I have been reading a lot about battery maintenance and just how long can the battery set on the pod, connected and not be drained. I have had it in storage now for a week but I made sure everything was turn off including the LP gas. I am going to get it this weekend were it will stay with us at home for about a week before we go on our trip. Should the battery be disconnected every time the pod is not in use no matter how many days it will sit till the next camping trip. I know if i was going to let it set for months it should be disconnnected but a few days here and there before recharging it when I get it back home would not drain the battery it would it? Also I read were people say they recharge there battery when the connect the electrical to the TV. How do you know if you are doing that?
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:06am
I got about three days on mine the first time I parked it and didn't disconnect the battery.  The gas detector is a fairly high drain device.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
podrunner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:11am
I am sure you will get  a lot of opinions and answers to your question.  I will start with mine.  The main issue is that even with turning off all electrical in the trailer, there is still a power draw, primarily from the LP gas detector.  Even though you have turned the gas off, this electric device will continue to draw power and will eventually completely drain the battery.  This would probably take a few weeks.  Completely draining a battery a few times will dramatically shorten the life of the battery.  So letting it sit for a week or so is not a problem.  I usually just leave my pod plugged in if it is sitting at home.  Your pod should charge from the TV while driving.  If your vehicle has a factory installed towing package, it should have the wire connected to the round bargman connector from your TV.  Best way to check is probably to get a multi meter and check the voltage with the trailer plugged in to the TV and the motor running on your TV.  Voltage should be 13+.  There should be a voltage difference with the TV running.  You can get a very basic multi meter at Harbor freight for less than $5.  This is handy to have to monitor your battery voltage while  dry camping to make sure you do not over discharge the battery.
2010 R Pod 151
2017 4runner
2006 Honda Metropolitan
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:40am
I always disconnect my battery anytime I will not be using it for several days.  Obviously, it will preserve the battery charge so I don't have to worry about that.  I have an electric tongue jack, and I would hate to try to hitch up my pod without it working.  And, finally, I keep my pod in a commercial outdoor storage facility.  With the battery disconnected, the jack won't function which would be a major deterrent to anyone that might have the urge to "borrow" my pod.

I don't want to derail this thread, but here are two more comments.  First, be sure to periodically check the water level in your battery cells.  It does evaporate, and here in Florida is one of the main reasons so many deep cycle batteries end up with a short life.

Second, lock your coupler in the closed position if you are leaving your pod stored off-site. 

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:50am
If you are parking where you can't plug in, may I suggest:

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 1:44pm
I'll add a few cents worth. On my 2013 RP172 I measured 85 milliamps fixed drain on my battery with "everything off". That includes 70 milliamps for the propane detector and a few more for fridge electronics and furnace thermostat. 85 milliamps will add up to 2 Amp-Hours per day. Assuming the standard single Group 24 battery at about 80 AH rating, the battery will discharge by half in 20 days. That's about as far as you want to go to avoid damage to the battery. That said, I'd plan on recharging every two weeks.

Don't count on  a significant recharge from the tow vehicle. Batteries take a long time to recharge while driving, even assuming the fridge is running on propane. Best to recharge at home or on some shore power overnight before you leave.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 2:42pm
My additional 2 cents.  Disconnect the battery from the pod every time.  Lead acid batteries need to be kept full or near full to prevent damage.  If you leave it connected and then plug the whole pod in every 1-2 weeks to recharge you will shorten the life of the battery.  Best to completely disconnect, then reconnect once a month and plug in the pod overnight.  As Charlie said, also charge overnight before a trip.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
On Golden Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 7:09pm
So I made a rookie mistake after reading all the posts about batteries on this site. I when out to disconnect the battery cables half expecting it to be dead and sure enough it was almost completely drained. So my plan is to remove the battery tomorrow when I  bring the whole trailer home and charge the battery. So I know now to disconnect it when I am done camping for awhile. My next question is since it is a new battery did I do a lot of damage to it? I would like to add a second battery to the system but did I ruin this battery to the point of matching it with the same kind of new battery will cause some problems? I also am a little confused on the diagrams on how to connect the two batteries together. I have seen one post with it connected one way and another connected another way. Can some one show me the correct way please! Thanks everyone for all the help! I would be so lost without you guys!
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 7:19pm
There should be little, if any, damage to your battery.  My deep cycle batteries I use for my shrimp lights are often drained very low after a night of shrimping.  They will still last me 4 or 5 years with the care I give them. 

If you install a second battery, parallel connect them.  That is, positive to positive, negative to negative.

Bob
On Golden Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 7:26pm
So positive to positive, negative to negative and then the positive cable from pod to positive pole on one battery and the negative from the pod to the negative pole on the other battery is that correct?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>