Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwhich r-pod should I buy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: which r-pod should I buy?
    Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 11:31am
Hi!  I've been reading this forum for days now, and want to thank all of you for your friendliness and helpful information!  This is a great group of people!

I live in Utah, and I'm getting ready to purchase a 2014 r-pod, model 178.  I'm getting a price from my local dealer (Hood River edition) and from the dealer in Ohio (my family lives there and would meet me half-way with the unit).  Both units are fully loaded, but there's quite a difference in price - $13,900 for the Ohio one, and $17,500 for the local Hood River one.  Also, the Ohio one includes the R-dome, and the local one doesn't; I'd have to purchase that separately.

I don't know what to do.  Are the only differences in the Hood River the 15" tires and the diamond plating?  I know the axle is raised a bit, but the one in Ohio also has the raised axle.  I'd get the WDH with stabilizers on either one, and that price is about the same.  I'd love to hear what you all think - if it's worth the extra money for the Hood River edition.  Someone wrote that the frame was stronger and there was more insulation in the Hood River.  I haven't been able to confirm that, though.  Both dealerships are pushing for the sale - but I trust this group more!
Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
Plus 4 Schipperkes: Kodi, Jessie, Maggie & Bear
2014 R-Pod 178
2013 Santa Fe Sport Turbo
SchipperPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 11:39am
Oh, and I meant to add, one dealer in Idaho told me the 2015's were coming out soon, maybe even this week!  Does anyone know if the 2015 models have any planned changes?  The salesperson I talked to didn't even know what the R-dome was, though - so I'm not putting a lot of stock in his information.  Lol!
Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
2014 R-Pod 178
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 11:41am
Welcome.  Unless you are able to dip into your trust fund, it seems to me that the one from Ohio is the one to buy.  We have the Hood River edition and are very happy with it.  If the Ohio dealer includes the risers, go for it.  If not, just add them for about $250.  Having read so many who have had to add them makes me think it is a major improvement.  The diamond plate addition is a questionable addition in my mind.  Although, I did go to the factory here in Oregon, to see the construction,  I can't speak about a heavier frame or more insulation.  Hope that helps.  Safe Travels. 
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 12:47pm
the diamond plate bigger wheels and axle risers are the only differences that come to mind between the hood river edition and the eastern version. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 6:48am
I would go with your one from Ohio.  The HRE is a novelty at best, bit of diamond plating that if you want any of us can order and have put on a normal Pod.  Axle risers standard, but most Rpods "now" have them standard also, and then the different tires.  Which have IMO an ugly hub on them.

If I can make a suggestion "if" the next model years are about to start being sold I would 100% without question wait for them.  I'm not at liberty to say why I would wait, but if I had the choice I'd not spend a dime until the next manufacturing model year debuts!

ClapClapClapClapClapClap
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 10:14am
Wow, kymooses, you've intrigued me!  You obviously know something about the new models that will be coming out, but you can't say what?  Can you whisper it quietly in our ears?  Lol!
Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
2014 R-Pod 178
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 10:21am
I have a few more questions as someone that's not only going to be new to r-pods but to any trailer camping!  1) Is condensation an issue inside these units?  If so, any tips on avoiding it?  2) If I'm adding a hitch to my car in Utah, then driving across a few states to pick up my new unit, is it possible to pre-wire my car for the trailer's braking system?  Does someone setting up my car for the braking system actually need the trailer to do it properly?  I don't understand how it all works.  3) Does the water heater have an electronic ignition, or do I have to light a pilot manually outside the unit?

Sorry for the wide range of questions!  I'll probably have more coming!  Lol!
Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
2014 R-Pod 178
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 10:55am
Nope, he can't whisper. LOL. Also to kind of point out.. the manufacturing year, is different from the model year.. and it's the manufacturing year that is changing. Some nice changes are in store..

To answer your next questions..

1) the pods are built pretty tight. 2 adults and 180 lbs of dog can and will cause condensation inside when it's cold out. Easy to mitigate, leave a window cracked and FF vent open.

2) yes you can add the hitch and drive to pick up a camper anywhere. It may need some adjustment once you pick the trailer up, no big deal. the brake controllers are a standard, so it will work with all properly wired trailers.

3) the water heater is DSI, and also 120v electric. So no pilots to light, and in fact when camping with full hookups, no propane needed (for hot water). 
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 11:22am
Thanks, furpod!  I'm still interested in what the changes might be for the manufacturing year.  Of course, my salesman says he has talked to his Forest River Rep., and other than the "Crown" package changes - which he said my unit would have; they were put into production two weeks ago - they are planning no other changes for the 2015 model.  The unit I'm looking at does have a different interior color scheme called Pebble.  Is there somewhere out there on the Internet that I could go to see what might be any additional changes planned?  I don't want to buy this unit now if there's a good chance I'll be disappointed that I didn't wait!
Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
2014 R-Pod 178
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 11:59am
We who were at the factory, after the Intl' Rally, and were shown these things.. we were asked not to tell. I do not know what is in the "crown package", only that some of the new "standard package" things were things I liked. I do not know if EVERYTHING we saw was going to be standard. Or optional, or was just prototype.

I do know that just yesterday, somebody on the FB page posted a picture of their new Pod, at a campsite, and it did show/have one of the new items in the picture, so Pods appear to be being delivered with at least some of what we were shown right now.. I was surprised Travis didn't say anything over there.. he must have missed it..

OH, and there is really no way to be disappointed in a Pod.. lol. Besides, if there is something you want in it, or don't like, you just "make it so".. you should see what is going to happen to moosepod this winter..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>