Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closednew member - towing with Lexus RX - Event Date: 09 Sep 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: new member - towing with Lexus RX
    Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 9:59am
we are ready to buy a new 178 and wonder what the experience has been with towing with a smaller SUV. The dealers say no problem - what are the real facts on this. We have a 2010 Lexus 350 with towing package - listed as being able to handle 3500 pounds - can we successfully pull the R Pod?
God Bless America
RickandDenise View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 2:58pm
Hi we have a 178 also and tow it with a Toyota sienna with towing pkg and also rated at 3500 pounds we have added a sway bar and have learned to tow with all holding tanks empty that being said we have had no problems with the sienna
Rick and Denise Kennedy
2014 Rpod 178 pulled by a 2013
Toyota Sienna
Camping with Dixie(English bulldog) Stinky(maltipoo)and
Wednesday a 18 year old cockapoo
God Bless America View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 3:57pm
Thanks Rick and Denise - we also planned on the sway bar - it seems like good advise - with driving - has it been in the flat Midwest - or have you done any hills and/or mountains? just want to plan on having enough power...
God Bless America
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 4:24pm
Welcome to all. Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 7:11pm

Welcome.  I've run through the numbers here before, and bottom line the 178 is on the edge for 3500 pound rated vehicles.  As was mentioned, make sure you tow with all tanks empty (except the water heater, that would only save you 50 pounds).  Also pack on the lighter side, keeping some of what you pack in the TV (tow vehicle).  Your Sienna will be ok in the power department.  We had a 2003 Sienna, the model line before yours I believe, and it was ok as long as there wasn't a headwind.  Our popup was near 3500 pounds loaded and we never had a problem towing it or keeping up with traffic.

The problem with pods isn't the weight, its the frontal area, and their design seems to incur more drag than regular campers (believe it or not).  Steep back roads are fine, even highways are fine.  Steep highways push the limits.  However, get a strong headwind and you'll be at your limit.  It took a situation like that with my accelerator literally pushed to the floor - only doing 50 - where I realized I needed a more capable TV.  I got 8 mpg on that tank of gas.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
FlyPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 6:09pm
Interesting, I pick up my new 178 from the dealer on Monday and have almost the exact same tow vehicle. 2010 Lexus 450H with tow package. Other than being the hybrid version, it's the same.
I'm hearing the cautions about pushing the limits, tow with tanks empty, travel light, etc. I added electric brakes, load leveling and sway bars. Hope it handles Oregon's mountains. 
FlyPod
R-PodKids View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2014 at 9:30pm
Hi!  Just wondering how you've been doing towing your Pod with your Lexus. We have a 2011 RX350 AWD and have a 179 ordered. Planning on installing a WDH and sway bar.  Hoping you have good experiences to share with me. Cry
FlyPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 12:49am
No problems so far. I am careful not to carry too much water weight because I push the vehicle's weight limits. It handles the mountain passes just fine by moving the transmission to manual and dropping it one gear on the steep stuff to keep it from hunting gears back and forth. Glad you're getting load leveling and sway bar. With those features and the electric brakes, you should be fine. Happy Podding.
FlyPod
R-PodKids View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 10:24am
Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!  With yours and another response I received, I am feeling much better about this.  And I'm all excited about "podding" again.  
FlyPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 10:43pm
Oh...one additional thing to check on is whether or not your RX has the optional towing package. I think that is essential given the weight of the Pod coming close to your capacity. It includes a larger radiator and transmission cooler. Hope it can be added if your vehicle doesn't come with it. Good Luck!
FlyPod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>