R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery
    Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 10:31am
Getting ready to winterize the pod. Should we be taking the battery off and storing inside for winter.
Rp177
2013 grand caravan
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 11:31am
I take my two batteries out and store them in my basement. I have a trickle charger that I use about once a month.  Some people leave the battery(s) on their Pod and plug in the AC power about once a month to keep them charged.  The problem I would have is that my POD is stored here in Minnesota where temps can get to -20F or colder.  If for some reason the batteries were to discharge too low they will freeze up and burst.  So having them in the basement, I know they at least won't freeze if I forget to charge them.
TIDALWAVE
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 12:48pm
For colder regions Tidalwave's recommendation is spot on. If you're not used to storing batteries, then make sure you don't sit it on your concrete floor, as that seems to sap batteries pretty quickly.

I live in the Pacific Northwest where the winters are pretty cloudy and dank. I've left the Pod plugged in to shore power for the past 3 winters. The onboard charger has done a great job with the original battery. I think I've only had to add water about twice over the last three and a half years.

Since it's so wet, but mild here during winters, we also have to worry about the interior of the Pod getting mold or mildew--a lesson from previous trailers. We used to use DryZAir, and it did a fair job. Since I keep our trailers plugged in over the winter, a few years ago we bought a  Drywave. It's done a great job, but it's not real cheap (about $70 on Amazon).
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 5:16pm
I had always heard about concrete sapping batteries in the old type case, but is that true in the new plastic cases? I still put a board under my batteries but have wondered if I need to. Doug?
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

I had always heard about concrete sapping batteries in the old type case, but is that true in the new plastic cases? I still put a board under my batteries but have wondered if I need to. Doug?

Yes, the net is telling me I'm wrong. I AM pretty old school!
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 9:00pm

A fully charged battery will freeze at -92 F, and at 40% SOC -16 F.  Since the cold temps slow down the self-discharge rate it is unlikely you'll get to a dangerous level of discharge.  Battery life is extended the colder they are kept so I always recommend leaving the battery on the tongue and recharge it overnight at least once - if it gets cold where you live.  If it stays warm you need to keep charging it overnight at least once a month.

Yeah, the modern plastic cases prevent discharge through concrete.  Way back at the start the cases were made of wood and asphalt, which would drip acid.  The acid would soak into concrete and create a path for them to discharge.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 9:23am
There is one important fact that we all know but I don't believe it has been mentioned in this thread.  If you leave your battery in your pod, disconnect it while it is in prolonged storage.  Or, install a disconnect switch on the positive terminal.  Our climate is warm all year around, but if I put our pod into off-site storage for more than a few days, I disconnect the positive cable from the battery.  I have never had to use a charger.

I do the same thing with the deep cycle batteries in my boat.  My last set of batteries, from Walmart, were good for 6 years. 

Bob

2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 2:46pm
Yes, the LPG detector and other minor loads will kill the battery in a week or two if not completely disconnected.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Newbie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 11:35pm
Thanks everyone for your responses
Rp177
2013 grand caravan
 Post Reply Post Reply