R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-pod 172 T Hot Water Heater question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-pod 172 T Hot Water Heater question
    Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 2:52pm
Hi all, 

I own a 2010  R-pod 172 T.  We have only had this unit for 3 months but so far everything works extremely well and is in awesome shape, but we are having trouble with the hot water heater.  I have tried running it both off electric by throwing the switch to "ON" in the outside access panel and I have also tried just running it on LP Gas.  Either way, when I throw the switch to "ON" inside the cabin, the indicator light turns red (assuming this means its on), and then shuts off about 2 minutes after that.

The water does not even become Luke Warm, so i don't think it's the hot water heater bypass. Does anyone have any ideas? Do you know if the hot water heater unit turns off if there is no water in the hot water tank? (I haven't checked to see if water is actually flowing in the to the hot water tank)

Thanks in advance!

Brannon
08-Kia Sedona
wherestheyeast View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 3:25pm
Hello again!

Some others may chime in, but you shouldn't turn on the 110v heating element without filling the water tank first.  

But, try it on propane first:

1. Turn on the propane tank.
2. Purge the air in the lines by lighting the stove for a few seconds (or minutes?).
3.  Make sure the hot water tank is full of water:

To fill (from holding tank) turn on a hot water valve at a faucet (with pump on, of course) until the sputtering stops.  You can verify the tank is full by opening the pressure relief valve at the hot water heater.  

4.  Check bypass valves.  They can be located under the driver's side dinette seat.  The hot & cold valves should be parallel to the water lines.  The Bypass valve (located on a line t'd between the hold & cold lines) should be "off" (or perpendicular to the bypass line).

5.  Turn "ON" the hot water switch under the kitchen sink.  Assuming you have power (12v or 110v) you should hear the igniter trying to light the propane.  If it is quiet enough you can hear the click-click-clicking of the igniter followed by the whhoooosh of propane being ignited in the heater's burner.  The red light next to the switch will turn off once the unit is lit.

I'm a newbie myself.  RPod vets, how did I do?

-B
sdc143 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 3:32pm
thanks for the great explanation.  I understand that if I fill the fresh water tank, the hot water heater tank gets filled first and then pulls from the fresh tank.  However, if I am hooked to a water hose in the City Water port, how does the water heater tank for the electric heater get full to use the electric heater?
R-Podimus Adventures Abound!
'14 182G HRE
'14 Toyota Sequoia
2 little boys and 2 yr old mutt
madisonprep01 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 3:33pm
Thanks so much!  I will give that a try!  

I have always hooked up the water line first and ran it before I switched on the Heat, but again, I've never even visually inspected to make sure there is water in the Hot Water Heater tank!  

I'll run through this protocol and see if I can get it to work!

Brannon
08-Kia Sedona
wherestheyeast View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by sdc143

I understand that if I fill the fresh water tank, the hot water heater tank gets filled first and then pulls from the fresh tank.  

I could be wrong, but that isn't the way I understand it.  I would have to look at the plumbing, but I understand that if you are filling the fresh water tank, water is only flowing into the tank.  

I understand the way I spelled out in post #2 is the only way to fill the water tank.

RPOD experts -- can you help us all out!

Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 4:11pm
I the 172Ts are plumbed like all the others you have one water heater tank that has both gas and electric elements. When water is introduced to the system from the tank and pump or from a hose and city water it fills the lines and the water heater tank (assuming the bypass valves are in the correct positions). Opening all the taps until the water runs clear of bubbles will make sure the system is charged. You can then start the heater. If you tried the electric element with a dry tank the element is no longer any good. They overheat and burn out quickly.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 9:38pm

Just throwing some confirmations out there -

1. Yes, when the red light turns off it means the propane burner has ignited properly. 

2. As Keith-n-Dar said, filling the water heater requires leaving one of the hot water valves open until it stops spitting, either while hooked to a water hose or while pulling water from the fresh water tank.  I leave mine filled all season until I winterize.

3. Turning on the electric element before #2, immediately blows the element.  Not hard to replace from the outside.

4. Every time someone says they aren't getting hot water it is because the bypass valves aren't set right.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply