R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTransmission Oil Temp.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Oil Temp.
    Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 8:10am
We just returned from another camping trip, although this time we pulled some mighty high hills up to 4,200 feet on a hot day.  My scanguage recorded a high temp of the tranny oil of 219 degrees.  Was able to maintain 60 MPH without any problems.  Normally the temp reads about 150-180 degrees.  I had never seen the temp that high and became concerned.  Upon my return did some internet checking and it seems that if you have synthetic transmission oil, the temps can get a lot higher, up to 300 degrees before things go wrong.  Thought I would ask if anyone else has been monitoring their tranny oil temps and what concerns they had.  The radiator temp never got above 215 but came down quickly upon cresting the mountain.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 8:35am
I found this advice for GMC pickups, (Silverado / Sierra):

“General Motors’ in-house towing team expert provided RV Clinic with this statement: The maximum allowable automatic transmission fluid temperature is dictated by the transmission oil itself. The oil begins to degrade significantly above 270 degrees Fahrenheit, so we design vehicles so that in all but the most extreme conditions, the fluid temperature in the transmission sump stays below 270 degrees F.

We allow for up to 285 degrees F in extreme conditions (i.e. towing a trailer with combination loaded at GCWR in Death Valley). But for customer usage anywhere else in the country, even at GCWR, transmission sump temperature should stay well below 270 degrees F. Above this point, certain internal components, such as seals, begin to disintegrate rather quickly. Although newer synthetic fluids can withstand higher temperatures we still recommend this (270F) as a maximum temperature. "
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 9:36am
Mine usually runs just below 200 here in MI. Once in the Blue Ridge mountains it did get up to 215, but I didn't have any towing problems. 

Recommended service interval for tranny fluid change for my truck is 50K, I had mine done at 65K just because I had an extra $150 and nothing to spend it on, ha ha.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 10:49am
Thanks for the responses.  This info might be of interest to those who are not using a transmission cooler.  The scanguage can be purchased now at Camping World and plugs into a port that all of the newer cars have.  Lots of info and while towing we do put a lot of extra stress on a whole lot of components, as well as the tranny oil.  Better to be informed than to have the transmission quit while in Possom Trot Iowa, or some out of the way place.  Safe Travels. 
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 11:13am
Some vehicles do not have a complete readout via their OBD port.  So the Scangauge can only report values that are available.  I have  a Toyota that can display just about everything about the engine except transmission temps!
TIDALWAVE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 11:47am
Possibly a Chevy next time.  For those anticipating adding a ScanGuage to their TV's I would recommend contacting ScanGuage first.  The readouts from my 2005 Tahoe include quite a selection of displays.  Even has a trip guage which will track miles driven, time driven, average mpg, etc.  Only thing it won't display is fuel pump pressure.  I think I can live without that.  Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 12:17pm
My 2010 Sub shows the tranny temp on the dash (along with the other stuff you mentioned plus a few more, minus the fuel pressure).  On our recent trips it has gotten up to the mid 230's with one peak at 241, but then I've engaged the tow mode which manages the shift points differently and locks out 6th gear.  This keeps the temps lower, usually in the mid 220's.  This has been a surprise to me because I could swear that the trips we took last year where I monitored the tranny temps it hovered around 205.  During our 3-week trip I thought the change was due to the generator box I had up front, but a trip this last weekend with just two kid's bikes up there gave me the same results.  During normal driving it says between 165 and 175.

I could tell when the computer turned the fans on because the engine temp would slowly creep to 235, then quickly drop to 210 (where it always stays in normal driving), then slowly creep up again.  The tranny temps were less variable but the higher readings often corresponded to higher engine temps, too.

I also found that info supposedly from GM, I did a search while we were on the road, so I didn't worry too much.  The fluid is still mostly pink and no burned smell.  However, I'm considering getting this external cooler:  http://www.etrailer.com/Transmission-Coolers/Derale/D13960.html  Its thermostat triggers its own fan at 180, so that tells you where Derale thinks your tranny temps should be.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 12:59pm
Yup, I say it all of the time--the S/G is one of the best, most useful, and fun man toys produced. I've used one for a few years now to monitor my trans temps and help me maximize MPG. The S/G has read my trans temps pre transmission cooler in both my 4.0 Tacoma and 4.6 Tundra. To me pre cooler readouts are most useful, as you can really see the temp swings in real time.

My towing temperatures with both the Taco and Tundra (different engines and transmissions) have been similar at 185-195 regular towing rising to 215-235 climbing or w/lotsa stop and go. These are conditions we see a lot of here in WA State. I have found that towing with the Tundra, I can minimize the number of higher temp episodes by towing in T/H, locking out 6th and manually shifting to 4th around town, climbing, or in rollers. W/out the Scan Gauge, I would be clueless about trans temp control, as, even though the Tundra has a trans temp gauge, it is little more than a fancy idiot light, not showing a temp rise until after about 270 degrees. Both the Tacoma and Tundra come with WS transmission fluid, which is pretty new age and is supposed to easily stand the temps I've been seeing.

Also, Tidalwave, Scan Gauge occasionally adds new codes to their web site. The one that is successful for the Tundra is supposed to be good for lots of Toyotas.

'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 1:06pm
With our Tahoe and towing we average about 150-180 degrees of tranny fluid temp.  Wonder why your Sub has much higher operating temps.  Glad to hear I'm in the "good range."  Even had the fluid checked for smell and color, all good.  Resting easier now.  Safe Travels
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 1:07pm
I use synthetic tranny fluid and have a scangauge.  I also had a second tranny cooler installed shortly after purchasing my r-pod.

Normal driving (not towing), the transmission fluid temp (TFT) is in 170-180 range.  While towing its in the 205-220 range.  The maximum temperature its reached - very hot day, long uphill pull - is 229, which is my maximum comfort level; any higher and I would have pulled over to let it cool down.

I drain and replace the tranny fluid once a year (generally in the fall after I've winterized the trailer) and by then the fluid is quite dark and obviously in need of replacement.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>