Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNewbie with questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie with questions
    Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 7:25am
Hi!  My name is Roxanne.  This is a great forum, and I have learned so much already.  My husband and I currently are living overseas.  We will be returning to the states in the next 6 months or so and will be "semi/mostly-retired."  It has been a long time dream of mine to spend months on the road in an RV. Smile We are planning to check out the 178.  This may be a starter trailer for us.  My question is do any (or many) of you travel for months in your rpod?  I'm a little concerned about the amount of storage space.  It will be my husband, our dog and myself traveling in the rpod.  I am really looking forward to podding it!  
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 7:54am
I bring up that idea once in a while for when we retire and my wife tells me that I will be alone in the Pod. We have gone more than two weeks and it has worked, but it is a little small for us for much longer than that. It has worked for others who will let you know.

Welcome to the forum!
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 7:58am
Welcome to the group!  Hang in there and someone will probably be able to answer your question.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 8:38am
I have never gone more than two weeks in mine. You would have to be really organized to do it. my wife and I can just get about a weeks worth of cloths in ours and we have to shop for food about every two days. Only one of us can get dressed and ready at a time. The Rdome helps a lot because it doubles the space that you have if you have the walls on. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 9:06am
I'm not certain any of them are active on this forum but I know several that spend several months out at a time in smaller Pods than the 178 and absolutely love it.
Hylandspirit View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 8:48pm
Thank you for all your answers.  We are going to be visiting the states in a few weeks and will get a much better idea after we actually see the 178 in person.  So excited!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 9:36am
There are several people that are out for long term "trips"..

The thing is, no matter what size rig, there are just a few people (low percentage of all owners) who go out for months at a time. Most have other commitments of one type or another. Or just don't have the desire to be out that long. I have done 6 weeks in a army RV (tank) with 3 people and half the room of the smallest pod.. so months in the pod with my wife would be no big deal.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 12:36pm
Welcome.  Here's a post I made a few weeks ago which may help:

We've had our 171 four years now and still love many things about it.  There's another aspect of being an inside vs. outside camper.  When we are camping we are outside most of the time, usually not coming inside until midnight and then going right outside to eat breakfast.  When we are touring the pod is more like a portable hotel room and we tend to be inside more of the time - coming back from sightseeing or finishing up a full day on the road and climbing inside at 9.  Eating a late dinner, catching up on emails and forum surfing.  Then often spending the morning eating and showering inside (especially when staying at a truck stop or Wal-Mart) until we emerge at 8 or 9.

If you'll do more touring you may want the extra room.  We just finished up a 3 week trip and I would have preferred the 177 or 178 since we were inside more.  For our camping trips the 171 is fine.  The first slide-out models weren't announced until the week we picked our 171 up from the dealer and I'll admit I wondered many times if we would have gone for the 177 if we had the option, although not towing that extra 300 pounds was a plus.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 1:58pm
Back in 2002 we full-timed for 6 months in a new 34' motor home with two slides while our home was being build here in Florida.  We spend much of our time inside the coach, and although it was spacious and had all the amenities of a house, I can't describe how happy we were to move out of it.  Granted, we are older and spoiled, but I can't imagine staying in a pod for a prolonged period of time. 

I might also add that in June we had an 18' Zoom that we took on a 6000 mile trip to the Southwest.  We spent 3 weeks in that trailer which is comparable in size to the pod that we now have, and it was not bad at all.  But, on that trip we were on the go most of the time and were in the trailer mostly for sleeping. 

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 6:29pm
We did a month in Florida several years ago with no problem. However, we have a full size pickup with extended cab to put all the extra stuff in: lawn chairs, grill, spare gas tank, etc. go in the bed. Some clothes hang behind the front seats.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>