Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Guy & Gal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Guy & Gal
    Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 12:29pm

We are in the market for our first camper and were considering a rockwall hard sided A-frame  popup but than stopped in at our local R-Pod dealer here in Hot Springs Arkansas an are very impressed.  He had a 177 on the ground and we liked it except for the intertainment center hanging down over the bed.  He showed us the brochure with the 178, think we might like it better and it does get you 2 more feet and only adds 120 more lbs. any comments pro or cons and are these units easy to learn to use (remember are new at this and really do not have a clue).

Does anybody have experience towing with a Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Prerunner?  The dealer told me I could tow through the mountains of Colorado and would not even know it was behind me.  REALLY?  Any thoughts or comments would be really appreciated, Thanks!
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 1:19pm
Hey arkieguy! We towed our RP 175 for many trips with an '06 Prerunner DC  w/4.0 and tow pack. We live in Washington State, and the Pacific Northwest is not an easy place to tow. The Taco did a fine job on all passes and foothills in the state. I always used tow/haul, and hand shifted to 3rd if I knew we were facing an extreme/long elevation gain. Towing mpg was 10-12.5 mpg v/s everyday for us of 18 to 22. I would have replaced the Prerunner with another Taco, but we got a great deal on a new Tundra 4.6, which we also love. I do miss lots about the Tacoma.

Without eagle eye vision, the small entertainment center is pretty lame. Most of us on this site also agree that the Pod supplied mattress is pretty much an exercise in spinal abuse. Other than this stuff, our Pod has been a great fit for us for 3 1/2 years.

P/S Although we never had any sway problems with the Prerunner, the rear springs are a little weak for towing. That being said, I recommend a WDH. If nothing else, a WDH will give you extra peace of mind, push sway problems farther away, and help ease single axle trailer hobby horsing.  Good luck with whatever you decide. See ya, off using the Pod for a few days!

P/P/S  Speaking of folding A frames--we owned one for 5 years. They tow nicely, and get a little better mileage due to less wind drag. I am not familiar with Rockwoods, but the Chalet we owned was the poorest built of the 5 travel trailers we have owned--stapled construction, poor quality fittings, did not weather well, and leaked. Others may have had better luck with their Chalets, but not us! 

'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 7:39pm
Welcome.  If the tow capacity of that truck is 3500 pounds the 178 is pushing the limit.  It can be done but you would have to pack light and not fill any of the water tanks.  If the limit is higher you would be ok.  No matter what you pick or tow with you will know its back there in the mountains. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 10:32pm
Welcome to the forum. What the dealer told you not knowing the r-pod will be behind you take it as a grain of salt. That seems to be a favorite thing to say for salesman to sell a camper. Not saying your truck will not be able to tow the r-pod but you will know it is behind you especially in the mountains of Colorado. David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

RRL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 11:09pm
Welcome! We have a new 2014 178 and tow with a 2006 Tundra -- we DEFINITELY know it is behind us! We're also in WA State - have our first trip over the Cascades at the end of September - I anticipate the passes being a bit harder on the engine than the flats. BTW - we love the 178!!
"unWINEd" Pod
2014 RP-178
2006 Tundra
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 11:14pm
When you're towing a ton-and-a-half of anything, it's good to know you've got something behind you.

Sam
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 8:14am
Welcome and good luck with getting an Rpod. I don't know your vehicle but I am sure it can tow the Rpod but as has already been said you will know its back there. That is not a bad thing. I like to be able to feel what the trailer is doing. Helps me to remember it is there and to take care when I am driving. Don't know if you have towed before but one of my first rules when towing to don't do anything suddenly if you don't have to. Its a little like driving on snow and ice sudden moves are not your friend.  
I just got back form a 1500 mile trip and I found that for a couple of days after the trip I was driving like I had the trailer on even though I did not. I was taking truns extra wide and checking the rear view on turns to make sure the trailer cleared the curb and such. 
The other way you will know the Pod is there is you will be able to watch you gas gauge go down.

Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 9:53am
LOL, I did the same for a few days after our long summer trip.  It was nice seeing the gas gauge stay steady and not drop like a rock, though.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
DavidW View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 10:34am
You will love the 178 and U-shaped dinette which gives you another queen bed option and great storage underneath.

However, please be aware that the 178 does comes with the much-loved overhead entertainment console.  (The brochures contained a mis-print to suggest that the console was not present on the new model).

You will either learn to tolerate it, or you can find creative ways to remove/alter it on this forum.

Happy podding!

David
David & Liz
2014 R-Pod 178
2019 Chevy Traverse
And Lily (our 8 yr old Golden)
arkieguy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 12:35pm
Star Thanks for all the responses and information!  My truck does have the tow package so looks like it's a go!  My dealer does not have a 178 on the ground but has 3 on the way so down payment and 2 to 3 week wait and we will be podding! Sure we will have lot's of questions but it's good to know I have a place to get all the answers! Thanks again to you all
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>