R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOperating the Fridge With Propane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Operating the Fridge With Propane
    Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 2:57am

Need the advice from you experienced owners.  I'm still having problems operating my fridge on propane, even after reading earlier posts on this common problem.  Starting from the OFF position, with the propane tank valve open and gas coming thru the lines (the stove top works fine), I still get an immediate alarm when the propane button is depressed.  I'm sure this is an operator problem and would appreciate your advice.

Deb
RPod 178
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 8:47am
I'm not sure what you mean by "when the propane button is depressed." On ours, after ensuring that the propane is flowing, as you did, you press the MODE button on the refrigerator repeatedly until the flame symbol is selected. If all's well, it will simply start operating on propane. If there's a problem, a small red light flashes.

Sam
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Deb & Sam

Need the advice from you experienced owners.  I'm still having problems operating my fridge on propane, even after reading earlier posts on this common problem.  Starting from the OFF position, with the propane tank valve open and gas coming thru the lines (the stove top works fine), I still get an immediate alarm when the propane button is depressed.  I'm sure this is an operator problem and would appreciate your advice.

Is your fridge making an audible alarm sound?  
Deb & Sam View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 9:56am
Yes.  The fault light flashes and the alarm sounds as well.

Deb
RPod 178
Deb & Sam View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 10:00am
We may be saying the same thing.  On my unit the fridge control panel has a button with a flame symbol that has to be depressed to activate propane mode.  If I'm reading the manual right, I only need to press this button once, it turns blue to indicate it's "ON", and should function normally.  When I do this however the red fault light and alarm immediately starts.
Deb
RPod 178
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Deb & Sam

We may be saying the same thing.  On my unit the fridge control panel has a button with a flame symbol that has to be depressed to activate propane mode.  If I'm reading the manual right, I only need to press this button once, it turns blue to indicate it's "ON", and should function normally.  When I do this however the red fault light and alarm immediately starts.

This is not the same model that is in my 173 but an immediate alarm would indicate some fault to me. Most gas fridges will try and lite the burner for a few seconds and if it did not light give you a fault light. I think I would have a professional look at it. You can also check the manual to see if it explains what the alarm could be. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 12:10pm
Your fridge seems different than everyone elses.. can you give us a model number, and if possible a picture of your control panel? 
Deb & Sam View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 7:00pm
Thanks everyone!  Phoned the service center and a tech told me to take it in for a warranty check up...sounded like a mechanical/electrical problem to him.  We'll find out when they look at it early next week.

Loving the Rpod after just two short trips and looking forward to heading out for longer trips this fall.
Deb
RPod 178
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 8:19pm
Definitely would like to see a pic and get a model number if you can.  As others said, you have a new one.  :-)
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 8:06am
Weird though, I've been in several 178's now and hadn't noticed much different with the fridge.  Course I'd be able to spot a model difference if the outside all still looks the same.

In the meantime I'm gonna poke around some newer Dometic model numbers today and see if I can't find one with an audible alarm on it.  That's a nice feature.

LOLLOLLOL  Seems we're all excited to see what the new model number is and want to know about it!  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>