R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnder-counter storage space

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Under-counter storage space
    Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 3:49pm
Our 173 has the typical range top on the left, sink on the right counter top arrangement. The base cabinet has 3 drawers on the left side and one cabinet door on the right.  I believe most pods have the same cabinet.  When I open the cabinet door, there are only a matter of inches in depth of storage space, then a partition boxing in the remainder of the cabinet depth.  I removed the partition (held in by only 2 screws) and found that much of the hidden space can be reclaimed for storage.  Mostly it is a matter of re-routing a few electrical cables and maybe boxing in the sink drain pipe going into the grey water tank below.  The floor will probably have to be raised a few inches to clear the wiring, the drain pipe seal and to cover the floor area where the electrical wiring and water pipes enter the cabinet.

I am thinking seriously about re-claiming most of that space, but don't want to re-invent the wheel.  Has anyone made this mod?  If so, could you post a photo or two? 

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 9:56am
We also have a 173.We did this mod very early on-we  removed the partition, rerouted the wiring , added an elevated false floor and gained a lot of space. 

After removing the partition, I relocated the electrical wiring just by pushing them around and using romex electrical staples to secure them.  I screwed  three 3/4"x3/4" spacers  to the original floor-one on each side and one approximately in the middle.   Then I put in a new cabinet bottom by using plywood screwed to the spacers. I left the plumbing pipes exposed. The spacers created a hollow space  for the wiring and pipe seals between the original floor and the new cabinet bottom.  It was one of the simplest mods we've done--and we doubled the usable space .

I think the key to this mod is the spacers-they can be anywhere as long as the floor has support around the edges and close to the middle.  the wiring is moved around anywhere that avoids the spacers.

I'm afraid pictures wouldn't help-you can't see the spacers or wiring underneath the floor.

Hope this helps

Vann Evans
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 10:07am
Your mod is very similar to what I was planning to do unless a better solution was suggested.  I was planning to "box" in the drain line area, but after reading your post, I think I will just cut an opening for it in the false floor.  Originally I wanted to create a cabinet perfect appearance, but that is just too much work.

Thanks  for the suggestions and the moral support.  I think I will follow you example and just keep it simple but functional.  Thanks again.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 9:07pm
I've been reading this forum for several years-just haven't posted much so far.  I'm retired and love to tinker-and I have a great workshop.  so, I'm dangerous.  We have done a lot of mods and upgrades to our 173-we love it.  we are leaving Sept 7 for a 2 1/2 month trip to the west coast. We've been getting the pod ready for it's longest trip to date.
love the 173
travel on

Vann
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Pod People

I've been reading this forum for several years-just haven't posted much so far.  I'm retired and love to tinker-and I have a great workshop.  so, I'm dangerous.  We have done a lot of mods and upgrades to our 173-we love it.  we are leaving Sept 7 for a 2 1/2 month trip to the west coast. We've been getting the pod ready for it's longest trip to date.
love the 173
travel on

Vann

Would love to see some of the mods & upgrades you have made if you get the chance to post them!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 12:38pm

Ditto.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 10:29pm
I just posted a list and photos.  Hope this helps others as much as I have gotten help from this forum
THANKS
Vann
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 5:26pm
Just looked and commented, nice job on the mods!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply