FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGetting Your Dog Used to Podding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting Your Dog Used to Podding
    Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 6:18pm
Hi All,

We just picked up our R Pod yesterday and here in the driveway our 6 year old Golden Retriever doesn't even want to come in the door.  She's going to be coming camping with us this coming weekend and many thereafter.  Any tips or tricks you've used to get your dog used to camping.  I was able to coax her in with a treat once but that didn't work when I tried it again.  

Thanks! 
2009 Chevy Trailblazer
2013 RP 176
2 kids and a dog
francoisfrogpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 8:01pm
Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of podding! I have a yorkie/maltese mix little guy that goes camping with us. My problem is not so much getting him IN the pod as getting him OUT of the pod. He really believes we live there and the house is, well, just somewhere we go sometimes. Once you take your girl camping a few times, she'll get it! 
Denny and Linda

2013 Pod 177
'08 Santa Fe
Chops View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 9:59pm
Try feeding your dog all of her meals and treats in the Pod. Not a bite of food outside of it. Bring her out a few times a day just for a really special treat only when she gets in it. If she still won't get in it, just bring her near it and work your way up. Treat her in the driveway, then next to the trailer, then when she puts a paw on the step, etc. Make it a game and really praise her when she's near or in the pod. Best of luck and don't get frustrated... that will just make her think that pod puts you in a bad mood and she will never like it!
LotusBlossom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 8:47pm
You'll be glad to know that our dog did great on her first trip!  She got IN and OUT of the pod and besides some panting laid down.  I think the highlight for her was the swimming in Lake Michigan and then rolling in the sand afterwards Smile  Looking forward to many more trips with our 4 legged girl!
2009 Chevy Trailblazer
2013 RP 176
2 kids and a dog
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 9:26pm
A pod is just a really big dog house...
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 9:37pm
The only problem our dogs have with the pod is the male dog (Boris) keeps looking at it when we are towing. Its like "why is that white thing following us?"
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 10:20pm
Just leave the door open and long-leash your dog up outside the r-pod with enough slack so that she can walk inside the r-pod.  Then, don't make a big deal of it as you load things in the r-pod, or work inside it (even read a book at the dinette table for 20 minutes), or otherwise be in and out of the r-pod.  Show your dog that not only do you have no fear of the trailer, but that you feel comfortable inside it.  Your dog just has to get used to this new thing and see you moving in and out of it.  Let her decide when to stick her nose in; don't coax her.  It should take about 10-15 minutes before she sticks her nose in and another 10 before she joins you inside.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
rodroc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by techntrek

A pod is just a really big dog house...

Could not have said it better
Regards
Rod M
DPF Delete Packages
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 11:08pm
Our dog gave the steel step a funny look so we put a strip of carpet on it. She loves the pod. She feels like she's in her cage (dgohouse) and very secure. Also, she can come over and lick us anytime she wants when we're sleeping.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

The only problem our dogs have with the pod is the male dog (Boris) keeps looking at it when we are towing. Its like "why is that white thing following us?"

Made me laugh!   I swear our Shepherd mix is always looking out the windshield, you can almost see her thinking "What's wrong with you?  The cars are getting away!  I need to herd them!"

As for getting the dog in, I'd just really go low key, don't even try to get her in....spend time in the camper and I bet she'll come in eventually.  Our dogs will do almost anything if chicken is involved....

Our Labradoodle gives me problems keeping him out.   I'll be in there working and if I left the door open he'll blast in at full bore every few minutes, jump all over the furniture and try to give me a face lick if my hands are occupied then blast back out the door!   Repeat every 5 minutes.
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>