R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed3000 Watt Digital Inverter Generator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3000 Watt Digital Inverter Generator
    Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 8:47pm
Several months ago Dometic came out with a LW3000 digital inverter generator that lists for just under $900.00.  The unit is electric start, light-weight and whisper quiet when in economy mode.  Although the 2000 watt Honda is a little quieter, the Dometic is not too far behind.  I found mine on eBay for $450.00, which is an unheard of low price for the Dometic.  I just found them again on eBay for $500.00, which is still a bargain in my opinion.  If the need should ever arise, most RV dealers will provide warranty service, as most service all Dometic products.  Here is the link for the one on eBay if anyone is interested.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dometic-Portable-Digital-Inverter-Generator-3000W-Tailgating-Camping-Emergencies-/121156192585?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3578c949&vxp=mtr

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 9:53pm
Interesting.  My only worry is while it has several hundred more watts in capability than my own Yamaha EF2400is, it weighs about 15 pounds less.  Less weight sounds great at first, but that can only mean less mass in the important components - engine and generator head.   Also evidenced by the lower price, too.  That doesn't mean its bad, it just means it may only last 1000 hours instead of 3000-4000.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 10:35pm
You may very well be right on all your comments.  Or perhaps the lighter weight is due to such things as advanced technologies, reduction of weight in the frame and case, or a multitude of other factors.  I really don't know except I wish it were even lighter in weight.

I have to look at things through the eyes of a 74 year old, and even it it lasts only 1000 hours, by then I probably won't have any further use for it.  It is a new item, so unlike The Yamahas, Hondas, and other popular brands, it has not been available long enough to establish a track record, be it good or be it bad.

I have taken mine to the storage area where I keep my pod, and used it maybe 20 times there.  It starts easily and has no problem running my Coleman roof A/C.  When I start my air compressor, it almost stays at an idle.  But, Doug may be right.  Perhaps it won't hold up well.  Who knows?

Bob

2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 6:11am
Generally, you tend to get what you pay for.  Unfortunately, with Yamaha and Honda you probably pay a significant amount for the name.  There is quality there, I'm sure but an expensive name doesn't run the lights.  It can inspire confidence though.  (I too have a Yamaha 2400.)  I looked around the 'net at the Dometic, just now and it really looks pretty nice but I didn't see a dB rating.  The literature I saw said it was quiet, but it didn't say how quiet.  That usually makes me a little skeptical.  Noise was an important consideration for me.  The Dometic has several more watts, electric start, is lighter and cheaper.  Hard to argue with your choice.  It depends what you want.

TT
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 8:36am
The Dometic is very quiet at lower RPMs, in fact it just purrs.  Throttle opened to the maximum and under a very heavy load, the db rating will go as high as 70.  The beauty of this unit is that with its higher output, it will normally run at slower engine speeds than its competitors.  Still, wide open, the Honda is quieter.  I have not checked the specs for the Yamaha. 

I agree that you are paying more because of the name brand labels, but you are also paying for proven long-term performance.  I am not particularly impressed with Dometic products, especially their air conditioning units, but their inverter and its price were hard to pass up.  The next time we go dry camping (which is not very often) or we have a hurricane, I should be able to better report on its performance.  Right now, the name brands are probably safer bets, but price was an important factor to me plus the fact that it runs my A/C with no problems.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
 Post Reply Post Reply