FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew from West Virginia without an r-pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New from West Virginia without an r-pod
    Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 7:39pm
Good evening, all.

I am coming to you from The Mountain State with no r-pod to my name. Working on changing the "no r-pod" part.

We are a family of four that is considering a move from our Fleetwood Westlake pop up to something with hard sides and less set up time. We (I, really) have done a great deal of research on a great many trailers in this quest. I have looked at Aliners (family of four? Only if you're a family of Smurfs) and TrailManors. I have perused with much interest the fiberglass "egg" trailers (love them, love how you can customize, but they are simply more money than I wish to invest). Standard travel trailers hold little appeal for a variety of reasons. Hybrids were in the running but we want away from as much canvas (Sunbrella) as is humanly possible.

I like the r-pod because of its retro look and the variety of workable floorplans to choose from. DD (8) likes it because it can be had with bunk beds. Wife is not as keen as DD and I. I know the antennae is part of the problem. Her animosity for the antennae is somewhat frightening. I saw on the Forest River website that the antennae is a standard feature. On a whim I contacted a couple of dealerships and was advised by both that it could actually be ordered without the antennae. Groovy. Point in my favor.

If I can convince DW to give the r-pod an honest look we may have one by the time spring rolls around. Sooner would be nice but with DW and the kids now back in school our camping times are pretty limited so it's probably best to just give it a few more months.

We will be towing with a Honda Ridgeline. Not the best for a TV, but there are worse rigs. I prefer the 178 but given the power limitations of the Ridgeline combined with West Virginia hills I think the best floorplan for us is the 172. Regardless of which model is chosen the wind resistance will be the same but I can at least keep the weight as low as possible.

I'm sorry for the long post.

I wish you all well, and look forward to (hopefully) becoming a podder.   
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 7:56pm
Welcome soon to be possible Podders!

The 178's are popular this year, nothing but great things to say about that floorplan.  But as you mention bunks are pretty cool in some of those models as well.  So you have a lot of options in floorplans like you said.

I think you'll find that a lot tow with less beefy v6's than your Ridgeline.  But with as many occupants and accessories for 4 people I get what you're saying about weight and hills.  Tough choice for sure but I know plenty of us tow with less.  That being said, those of us who realize that usually end up upgrading eventually.  As is the case with us!   Big smile

Very cool to have you here with us though and looking, be sure to check out the facebook page if you're so inclined and use it already.

Other than that, enjoy your thread reading and let us know anything you come across that you have questions on.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 8:04pm
Welcome.  I agree that the 178 is on the heavy side if you have a 3500 pound tow limit.  It is one of the heavier pods.  You might get away with it if you keep all of the tanks empty (except the propane) and pack light.  Personally I wouldn't do it w/o a 5000+ tow limit vehicle.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
GA_RPOD_178 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 8:23pm
I tow a 178 with a Ridgeline.  It has a 5000 lb rating.  Granted the Georgia mountains don't compare with WV, but we get there.  Mileage sucks, but it does with most TV's.
[/URL]
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 10:04pm
RPods can and are being towed by Hondas. We tow our 172 with a 2010 4WD Pilot, the same power train as the Ridgeline. The Hondas have an advantage with their 4.375 differential. So far it works very well in the mountains of Florida and Alabama Big smile, but next month will be the test. Weight was the prime factor in our selection of the 172 since we will spend a lot of time in Colorado. Mountain passes are rough on tow vehicles, but altitude saps an engine's performance. Most of WV is below 3000 feet; all except one point is below 4500 feet. So if you plan to spend most of your time in the East you should be fine with the 172. On flat roads you can't even tell the Pod is back there unless you look at the gas gauge Unhappy. The 178 is bigger and roomier, but also heavier, so consider where you will drive and camp. Regardless of which model you chose you should include a weight distributing hitch (WDH) and a ScanGauge to monitor transmission temperature.

Hope to hear soon that you have joined us in Podding,
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 9:12am
Welcome.  It is nice to see that you are doing a thorough research on all of your options before making a decision.  There is a lot of really great information to be found in the forums here on the Pods.

I do have a question out of pure curiosity though ... why does your wife hate the antenna so much? 
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 10:39pm
It isn't the altitude its the grade.  We were just in WV a few weeks ago including Spruce Knob at 4863 feet.  We were over 7000 feet in Albuquerque but the grade wasn't too bad.  It was in the East in KY and WV where we hit spots of over 10% grade which were grinds to get up.  That's where the horsepower and torque are needed.  Granted, there are some big grades in the Rockies too, but there are some in the Appalachians too. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Thredbende View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 11:13pm
We have put on 10,000 miles towing our 171 with a Ridgeline over the last year. We can pass other vehicles if necessary at 70 on flat road, although that speed is 15 miles faster than the owner's manual recommendation. We weigh 350 pounds live weight. Our Pod weighed 2750 pounds loaded with food, no water, with propane and 2 batteries at the Goshen rally. So perhaps this is of use in comparing different options. I believe a slide out weighs about 250 pounds.
I love being able to have dinner started in a 36 degree bleak November rain 2 hours after dark at a deserted campsite 15 minutes after pulling in. And being warm, dry and well fed.

Thredbende
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 12:10am
I have to agree with Techntrek.  Minimum of 5 K towing capacity.  I know many pull with less capacity but for me a much larger concern is safety in maneuvering and stopping.  But thats's me.  I ordered ours with out and antenna.  Happy camping and Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
The West Virginians View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 8:10am
Good morning, all.

I apologize for not replying to your posts. It has been quite hectic lately.

First and foremost thank you all for the salutations. This seems to be a very welcoming and helpful community and has helped galvanize my belief that an r-pod is a solid option for our family.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>