Topic ClosedAlaska

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alaska
    Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 9:53pm
Has anyone traveled to Alaska with their r-pod?  My husband would like to do that next year.  We have friends doing that this year, but they have a huge motorhome (nicer than my house).  I am not sure about going to Alaska with our pod.  We have only been on two overnight trips with it so far, but plan on a couple more before the end of summer.  He would really like to go to Alaska, but I am hesitant. If others have done it and everything went fine, I would say let's go. Thanks for any input you may have.
- good or bad!

21grandma
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 8:34am
Haven't done it myself but we will in the next 10-15 years.  From what I've read the trip is much easier than it was just 20 years ago.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 10:58am
While it has been a while since my family did it with a camper ('68 and '70) my last trip up via vehicle was 6 years ago.  The trip is much easier these days than it was way back when.  The entire length of the Al-Can is paved with one 20-mile gravel road exception so that folks can "remember" the way it used to be.  There are plenty of places to get gas & supplies, good campgrounds for overnight stays, and just generally sight-see during the trip.  You do a good amount of up & down hilly driving so making sure your TV is in good condition before leaving is a must. 

It really is a great trip, and one that I would recommend you do if you can!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 6:24pm
I have never done it, but a friend did it on his Harley a couple of years ago and had a great time.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
21grandma View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 8:21pm
ShockedJust heard on the radio that a woman and her father were found in Alaska. The announcer said that "you could still become bear food in remote areas of Alaska"- not very reassuring!

21grandma
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 8:33am
Originally posted by 21grandma

ShockedJust heard on the radio that a woman and her father were found in Alaska. The announcer said that "you could still become bear food in remote areas of Alaska"- not very reassuring!

You can be bear food in most of the lower 48 states also.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 9:19am

The lady and her father got lost coming down from a mountain hike in Haines, which is nowhere near the Al-Can hwy.  Yes, there are bears all over Alaska, just as there are all over most of the U.S.  I wouldn't worry about it myself, but if you are then I would suggest not to climb any mountains while you are up there.  Tongue
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 10:44am
  Where I live we have Black bears and yesterday on the news one went through someones screen door on  there pool deck and took a nap beside there pool. We have had a lot of rain and they believe the bear was looking for a dry place to sleep. As far as driving to Alaska on the other forum there was a couple of members who took there r-pods to Alaska. I remember one said they wish the r-pod had two axles because they a had a couple of flat tires.I know one of those members has sold his r-pod for a larger camper because he wanted to camp full time.   David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

21grandma View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 11:05am
Originally posted by P&M

The lady and her father got lost coming down from a mountain hike in Haines, which is nowhere near the Al-Can hwy.  Yes, there are bears all over Alaska, just as there are all over most of the U.S.  I wouldn't worry about it myself, but if you are then I would suggest not to climb any mountains while you are up there.  Tongue
Think we will probably go next summer. Will stay off mountain climbing- have had both hips replaced and don't think that climbing would be  my forte!  I can't wait for next summer; sounds like a fun trip.
21grandma
ANGCHIEF View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 6:26pm
We traveled to Alaska and drove the Alaska Highway in 2012 with a truck camper and it was an amazing trip. We traded the truck camper for our 2014 178 and plan on going back to Alaska this summer. Has anyone taken their Pod up through British Columbia (Cassair Highway), Alaska Highway and over the roads in Alaska? We haven't had the R-Pod out yet because we got it late in the fall and winter started toooo early! It's sitting in the driveway now getting ready for a first time out in a couple of weeks just locally to see how it handles. We encountered quite a few "frost sinks" that really rattled the truck camper! Looking forward to hearing from you experienced podders!
Jan and Dean
2014 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>