R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWaste totes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waste totes
    Posted: 11 Aug 2013 at 9:50pm
We like to camp in national parks that usually don't have hookups, and we often stay for days or a week or more.  So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or advice about waste totes?  Just setting up without the dome is probably enough to make one consider a tote; with the r-dome, the idea of a tank filling up and having to take the whole pod to a dump station is just about too much.

What brands, sizes, or any other comments does anyone have?

TT
melp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 8:29am
Get a tote big enough to hold the entire black water tank in one dump then tow to dump station. Same fro gray water. works great for me.
melp
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 9:32am
Not meaning to intercept this post, but in conjunction with TT's question how do y'all store & transport the totes?  I'd consider getting one but I can't see where it would fit in or on the Pod, and I'm not carrying it in my SUV.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 9:39am
I often see them on top of SUVs or in the bed of pickups. 

If you don't have a water hookup I've read of setups where a small 12 volt water pump is used with a large collapsible tank so the tank can be filled up elsewhere and then pumped into the camper's tank.  Lifting even a few gallons of water in mid-air a dozen times (and then holding it there) is a lot of work, so that takes much of the work out of the equation.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by P&M

Not meaning to intercept this post, but in conjunction with TT's question how do y'all store & transport the totes?  I'd consider getting one but I can't see where it would fit in or on the Pod, and I'm not carrying it in my SUV.

Very good question.  It will be very light when empty, which is the only way I'm going to carry it anywhere except straight to the dump station, so I figure maybe on my TV roof rack.  I'm also thinking about welding some sort of adapter to the spare tire rack on the back of the pod, although I don't think I'd like the aesthetics of that. 

Still interested in brands or other comments from anyone with experience with these things.  They aren't particularly cheap, but just to look at them online, I can imagine the wheels falling off after about 2 trips if you get one that is intended to be towed through the campground to the dump station.  I hope they are more substantial than that, but I'd prefer not to be the guinea pig to find out.

TT
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 3:58pm
I went with the 15 gallon "Blue Tank" tote from Barker Mfg. Co. It travels well when strapped above the batteries on the tongue. Be careful of getting tank too large, including  the Smart Totes from Thetford. The R-Pod drain fittings are very low to the ground and, except in California, water does not flow uphill. LOL

BTW, the tongue on my 172 is getting very busy. Two batteries, two propane tanks, the spare tire, tongue jack, E2 WDH attachments, Blue Tank, and an R-Dome ground mat. And I'm working on putting a Swagman platform bicycle carrier on the WDH shank between the TV and the Pod.

Happy Podding,
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
melp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 3:44pm
I have a trunk attached to a cargo carrier that goes into the hitch received for my spare tire carrier. I have moved the spare tire to the front of the pod. I simply lash the blue tank to the top of the trunk. I hope this helps you.
melp
 Post Reply Post Reply