Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtowing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: towing
    Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 10:35am
Thank you.  I'm on the hunt locally for one now.
TopJimmy5150 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 12:58pm
I just got back from a business trip in Holland...you should see some of the Dutch Caravans and their tow vehicles.  Some of these RVs are bigger than the Rpod and being towed by cars about the size of a Mazda3.  They're everywhere. 
Jay

2014 R-Pod RP178
2015 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewman
2008 Honda Odyssey
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 11:45pm
You can always play it safe and make sure that you and all your passengers wear your helmets, seatbelts, steel toed shoes, teeth guards, and bullet proof vests; and you can buy a semi to pull your rPod. Someday, you and all your passengers will die. You will all die even sooner if you rely on any of those safety measures to keep you from harm. In the mean time, I think you can enjoy your rPod by towing it sensibly with your Pilot.

Sam

P.S.
I am actually more respectful of the counter opinions than this may appear. None-the-less, it is my firmly held position that the rPod was made to make RV camping possible for those of us with less than a Suburban in our garage and lifestyle.
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 5:13am
Like so many things, the buyer has to be the one to ultimately decide what to tow with.  Can it be safely done with a minimal TV: sure.  But the smaller, lighter, shorter TV the more likely a problem will occur.  This can be moderated by transmission coolers, weight distribution hitches, and anti-sway controls.  Even with that stuff can happen.  
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 9:17am
Originally posted by sammycamper

P.S.
I am actually more respectful of the counter opinions than this may appear. None-the-less, it is my firmly held position that the rPod was made to make RV camping possible for those of us with less than a Suburban in our garage and lifestyle.

Thanks, Sam.  Seems like many members frown upon 6 cylinder vehicles as being unsuitable for towing.  However, they rave about the merits of their "larger" TVs ability to tow.

I have mentioned several times that I tow with a 6 cylinder 276 hp AWD Santa Fe, and it is generally scoffed at as a tow vehicle here.  I bought this SUV specifically for towing use and pulled my 1900 pound boat almost daily to the Indian River to fish.  It does great on all of the boat ramps in the area, while many pickups have traction problems when they retrieve their boats on a wet ramp.

Many of the seemingly small TVs are much larger than they appear.  My Santa Fe weighs over 4000 pounds, has a wide track, and has a 106" wheelbase.  My last travel trailer weighed 2800 pounds and on our trip to the SouthWest, it performed flawlessly while climbing the 6 - 7% grades.  Overall, it averages just under 13 mpg.

I see no reason why a Honda Pilot or many similar vehicles would not perform similarly, if properly equipped.   I do speak with a little authority.  I began towing in 1955 (58 years ago) and have towed popups, boats and travel trailers up to 28', and have used tow vehicles ranging from a 1047 Chevy to a 34' bounder.  I chose one of the lightest pod models, but I can say that the Santa Fe tows it better than my Yukon towed the 28'
trailer. 

OK, I will get off of my soap box. 

Bob

2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 9:21am
Originally posted by sammycamper

...I am actually more respectful of the counter opinions than this may appear. None-the-less, it is my firmly held position that the rPod was made to make RV camping possible for those of us with less than a Suburban in our garage and lifestyle.

Yes you can tow a pod with a minivan or smaller SUV, which I've said many times on the forum.  I did it for 2 years with a 2003 Sienna (and pulled our much heavier popup with it and a 1998 Venture).  The 178 isn't the model to do it with, though, if you are using a vehicle with a 3500 pound max rating (and a 300 pound max hitch weight).  I laid out all of the numbers in my first post which support that reasoning.  This is why we bought the 171 which is several hundred pounds lighter and has a lighter tongue weight.  It was still pushing the limits when you add in wind load - as I discovered on a white-knuckle day when I couldn't even maintain 50 with the accelerator to the floor on flat ground with a strong head wind.  I really wish I had a way to monitor my transmission temps at the time, I probably would have choked.

Go ahead and use a 3500 pound-rated TV, just use one of the lighter pod models.  Don't do it with a 178 (or several other heavier models) unless you will always pack light and never travel with water in any of the tanks.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Kokopod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 11:46am
Yesterday we traded in our 2012 Jeep Liberty Arctic, because when we pulled our pod in extreme conditions (heat, wind) the transmission would overheat. Jeep does not make a Mopar transmission cooler for the Liberty, and installing an aftermarket would have voided our lifetime warranty.

We loved our Liberty; but when we purchased it, we owned an Aliner that was 1,000 pounds lighter than the Rpod. Add cargo, etc. and we were at just about max capacity (we use the Equalizer 4-point sway control and never felt unsafe about the actual tow, although SLOW was the word). We were in denial from last November (the first two times we overheated) until last month in Nevada with temps of 110 (two more overheats). When we took it into the dealer, they had to change the transmission fluid after only 30,000 because it was already dark. If we weren't overheating and if we could have added a transmission cooler, we would have the vehicle today, but you have to do what you have to do to be an Rpod owner.    
2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k
2013 Premier 19FBPR
Formerly-2013 R-pod 177HRE
2011 Dodge Durango
Love a good road trip
GA_RPOD_178 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 1:27pm
Have have a 178 and are pulling it with a v6 Honda Ridgeline.  The Ridgeline is rated to tow 5000 lbs and has all the bells and whistles (tran cooler) as standard. 

Having said that, we have to pull some pretty steep rpms at times with the v6.  If you go over to the Ridgeline Owners Forum, they all say the Honda engine can handle it, but there are certain times where some more torque would have helped. But since I drive a whole lot more than I tow, the great ride I get in the Ridgeline 90 percent of the time is just fine.  You have to take your time, understand limitations on passing while towing and you'll get there.  And have a WDH.  It does make a difference.
[/URL]
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 1:44pm
All good comments.  Pod weight was a big consideration when we were shopping for a used one.  We chose the 173 (now discontinued) because of its floor plan which is ideal for 2 people and because of its comparative light weight.  It is wlll below the towing capacity of our Santa Fe and the Santa Fe has a 100,000 warranty on its drive train, which eliminates any concerns about transmission problems. 

The 178 has a great floor plan, but is much heavier to tow. 

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
TopJimmy5150 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 11:50am
We are towing a 178 with an '08 Honda Odyssey.  No problems whatsoever.  I realized from day one that we were at or exceeding our towing capacity and I drive accordingly.  It tows like a dream.  However, I will be upping the frequency of transmission fluid changes since our Odyssey just passed 100k miles. 
Jay

2014 R-Pod RP178
2015 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewman
2008 Honda Odyssey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>