R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedground clearance - Event Date: 05 May 2013 - 27 Aug 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: ground clearance
    Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 6:03pm
Thanks for the report, Moe.  I am a few days behind you in installing my risers.  I am confused about making a reference mark to be sure the axle is correctly aligned.  Doesn't it have to be properly aligned for the bolts to line up with the holes?  Just asking.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Sleepless

Thanks for the report, Moe.  I am a few days behind you in installing my risers.  I am confused about making a reference mark to be sure the axle is correctly aligned.  Doesn't it have to be properly aligned for the bolts to line up with the holes?  Just asking.

Bob
        Bob, when I started bolting the risers in there was almost a 1/4 in difference , the reference mark I used was I put the square on the bottom of the floor and slid it back till it touched the front edge of the axle and made a mark. I may have over thought  it. By the way the factory bolts where really tight. Very pleased on the finished product. The bolt holes are larger than the bolts are and that is x2 sets of bolts. I used a come along to align and hold while I tightened the bolts
      Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

SteveC View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 3:18pm

I negotiated the risers into the purchase of my 2014 RP178 and agree with those who think they should be standard on all units. Wish they would offer an R Dome that was built for and R Pod with risers! 

I would like to get even more clearance than what the risers provide.  What have others done to get more clearance? Has anyone put bigger tires on their R Pod?  It looks like it could take bigger ones.  

Where would one go to learn what the process is to remove the sewage drain tube? Also, what is the process for draining the black water once the sewage tube is removed?  

2014 R Pod 178
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 4:39pm
I looked at the height of larger 14" diameter tires and found that the difference in diameter is rather insignificant.  The benefits of a switch to 15" or 16" tires are not worth the cost of larger wheels and I like the appearance of the standard 14" pod wheels. 

My TV has 18" wheels, but it is engineered to use that size tires and wheels, a pod is not.  For example, larger wheels/tires will affect the braking ability of the pod.

As for the sewage drain tube, you can relocate it, but you still need it to drain the black water so why bother moving it?

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 5:46pm

If you do get larger tires, remember you'll need 2" of additional outer diameter to get 1" of additional height.  I've considered it.

When I removed the factory sewage hose tube I started using a large plastic tool box to hold the hose.  That rode in the pod and was the first thing out the door when we got to camp.  The box stayed outside until we left.  I was careful to keep the outside clean so I wasn't worried about spreading germs.  I've had the risers for a while but didn't bother putting the old tube back on since it wasn't long enough to hold my hose and connectors.  Recently I added a much longer one:  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3588&KW=PN=1&title=mounted-a-long-sewer-hose-tube-and-cleaned-up

All you need to do to remove the factory tube is to take out 4 small bolts.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
ilthyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 7:27pm
Thanks again for the information. I wished I had time to research order and receive the FR risers, but we are going away soon on a long trip.

I was also unsure about just how much tech knowledge, skills and equipment may be needed.
ilthyn
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by SteveC

Where would one go to learn what the process is to remove the sewage drain tube? Also, what is the process for draining the black water once the sewage tube is removed?  

I think when someone suggested removing the sewer tube to gain extra clearance that they were talking about the white tube strapped under the tongue that stores the flexible tubing that runs between your black and grey drains and the dumping station.  The permanent drain plumbing on the pod is close enough to the axle that it usually isn't a problem for ground clearance.

TT
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 8:58pm
this is what I did after wiping out the front storage tube. By thee way I got the idea from another member
                                          moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2013 at 9:57am
   I like the original low-rider height of the POD, easier for Mother Goose to get in and out of once I moved the step higher. Also moved the sewer hose tube to between the propane tank and the battery box, then trimmed up the tube on the tongue jack a couple of inches to just below the holes on the sides of it.    
   This all made for better clearance and have not had any problems since. One thing to remember as you travel is to watch for the rises or dips as you enter or leave gas stations, parking lots or pulling onto or off the road, always take these at an angle, do not go straight over the dip or rise as you will scrape the rear of the POD. Goose          
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
ilthyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2013 at 7:34pm
this is just a test because I am trying to create an avatar
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>