R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedE2 WDH Trouble shooting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: E2 WDH Trouble shooting
    Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 8:41am
Originally posted by bakes99

Hey just want to throw a shout out to the folks at Fastway Trailer Products and the awesome customer service they offered to me regarding my E2 Equalizer Hitch, especially being in another country.  
The local hitch installer totally botched up the brackets, drilling the holes larger, to the point of being unusable.  Sent the pics to Fastway and deemed them unsafe and obviously couldn't guarantee safety.  Don't want to get into too much detail but feel they went above and beyond.  Do have other pics that look very similar to the other brackets that were altered.  Anyway, big thanks to Fastway. 

There is no reason that you should have to drill out any of the holes on the brackets. The holes are pre drilled to line up with the bolts. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 8:51am
"The local hitch installer totally botched up the brackets, drilling the holes larger, to the point of being unusable.  Sent the pics to Fastway and deemed them unsafe and obviously couldn't guarantee safety."

Kudos to Fastway, but Boos to the original installer. Another example of dealers and installers placing unknowing novice buyers in unsatisfactory and/or dangerous situations. We here often say "don't trust the dealer", but it proves true every day. I had to completely reinstall and readjust my E2 after my first trip. It actually fell off and I found the brackets installed up side downand and loose.

I worry about the novice buyer who does not read this forum. When a dealer tells the owner of a 2.0L I4 "Sure. You can tow the Queen Mary with the proper hitch" it's time to tow yourself to another dealer.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 12:23pm
I'm curious why the installer had to drill the holes out, since as mentioned, that will never be necessary.

A note that I've had to tighten all of the bolts on the L bracket installation - all 8 - multiple times since my original installation.  Now if I notice a slight sway issue my first reaction is to retighten those bolts immediately. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
bakes99 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 12:54pm
I went back to get it adjusted, thinking they could do a way better job then me. He dropped the hitch head another hole on the shank. Thought he was going to stop and try it there. My belief is that he felt the bars were too difficult to raise on the L brackets. Before I knew it, removed the brackets and said he'd be back in a second. Looked through garage and he put them on a drill press and could hear the grinding. Looked at my six year old and said "oh crap." Believe when he inverted the bracket,he felt the trailer frame was too wide and couldn't get the bolt through to the rear of the bracket.

At that point I just wanted to get my truck and trailer out of there. This is a company that, this all they do. I don't think he was the most knowledgable staff member there. I brought it home and me and the wife put the new brackets on when they arrived from Fastway and feel we did a pretty darn good job ourselves, and all our measurements felt into correct place. After going through the booklet several times, felt we had a decent understanding of the proper set up.   Probably not perfect but sure better than without the wdh.
RPOD 172 HRE & Ridgeline
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12