R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedE2 WDH Trouble shooting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: E2 WDH Trouble shooting
    Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 2:20pm
Hi all.  
Just got back from a week long trip with 6+ hour road trip.  Had the RV dealer set it up but didn't take any measurements of the truck or trailer.  The front of the trailer was pointing upwards.  We went back without the trailer and had them lower the hitch head on the shank and with the bars installed it was much more level when we departed from campsite.  We did the measurement on our own and seemed to be within acceptable limits.

Ride back home felt kind of floaty.  When the hitch was set up by the dealer they used just 3 washer and a spacer washer.  When I had returned home, Also noticed when the Hitch and shank when removed from the receiver that there was quite a bit of give between the "shank" and the "Hitch Head."  It jiggles quite a bit.  This was probably most concerning.  The two serrated washer appeared fairly tight but the whole assembly has quite a bit of movement.
I know I can stiffen up the ride a bit and take the "Old Cadillac Feel" out by raising the L brackets, so I'm going to try that tomorrow to take some of the floatiness out.  My question is more about the spacers and the Jiggle in hitch head where it attaches to shank.

Thanks for listening and would be open to any feedback
John
RPOD 172 HRE & Ridgeline
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 3:20pm

Sounds like the slop is due to the single small bolt you'll find down low, it must be kept tight and the directions say it may loosen soon after initial installation.  Also try this link (below), input your numbers and the results will confirm what shank size you should have and which holes the head should be mounted in, so you can confirm with your current configuration.  Be warned that raising the L brackets  will increase friction as you want, but it will also raise the tongue.

Oh, and I know the link is for Equalizer and not E2 - they are made by the same company and the setup is the same.

Welcome. 

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/About%20Equal-i-zer/shanksizes.php

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
bakes99 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 3:59pm
Thanks for the welcome.  Had a few minor problems but loving the unit so far and is a good fit for us.
just looked at the small bolt and it's not even finger tight.  Thanks for pointing that one out.  

Drove on some mountainous roads and fairly fast highways passing by numerous rigs and sway never seemed to be a problem.  Id be hesitant to change the friction for that reason but would like to take some of the bouncing out of the front end.  Would the washer spacers be a good place to start or raising the L brackets by a hole or so?  Unfortunately don't have access to a air driver so ill have to visit a shop tomorrow before we head out for another 4 days of adventure.  
I'm going to try and figure out the numbers with the link you provided, thanks again
John

RPOD 172 HRE & Ridgeline
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 4:22pm

I suggest reading the instruction manual which gives hints for adjustments depending on the problem you are having.  http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/pdf/e2_trunnion_instructions_0212.pdf 

Its been a while since I read it, but I believe if your tongue height is correct (level or slightly nose down) then the best way to increase tension is to remove a washer, but there is a minimum number required, maybe 2.

siggy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 12:04am
I just finished setting up my Fastway E2 WDH today, it took myself and an experienced mechanic about an hour, and we switched the height of the head once, and took the whole thing apart twice to remove washers and get it the way we wanted it.  The end result is great, tows like it's one with my TV.  We started with the measurements and followed the instructions, but everyone I know with a WDH and or sway control says the same thing - you are going to mess with it a few times before you get it the way you want it.  Good luck and let us know what you learn!
2011 R-Pod 182G Hood River Edition [Ribbitt]
TV: 2002 GMC Yukon - Fastway E2 WDH w/Sway Ctrl
bakes99 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 3:58am
There basically is my problem.  I'm confident I can narrow it down but don't have access to an air drive gun.  So was hoping to get it right the first time out.  Maybe I'll break down and buy one.  Already have an air compressor.  I've been through the instructions many times and know I was reaching with narrowing it down to just elevating the L brackets.  Anyway will play with it some more over the following week or so. Will keep you posted
RPOD 172 HRE & Ridgeline
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 1:09pm
I just scanned through and found this:

If the hitch is transferring too little or too much weight you must make adjustments to the hitch setup. For changes during the initial setup we recommend adding or removing spacer washers first to try and keep the spring arms parallel with the trailer frame. In our experience, this can help reduce the amount of noise the hitch makes during slow, tight turns. It also gives you more adjustment options if needed later.

Once the maximum (9) or minimum (5) number of spacer washers has been reached, further adjustments can be made by raising or lowering the L-brackets. Minor adjustments later for changes in loading can usually be done by moving only the L-brackets.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 1:12pm
Another note about that small bolt I mentioned earlier:

With the weight distribution engaged, begin with the angle set bolt, and tighten it until it comes back into solid contact with the shank plus 1/4 turn.
bakes99 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 12:03am
Thanks for all the advice.   Going to see if I can hook up to someone with an air gun tomorrow and lower the hitch head a hole and add a washer. Think that would sort things out a little. Still a little high and not the same as the coupler of the trailer when level. We are camping directly next to the beach. Even noticed another rpod in the camp, have to go an meet up with them.
RPOD 172 HRE & Ridgeline
bakes99 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 12:10am
Hey just want to throw a shout out to the folks at Fastway Trailer Products and the awesome customer service they offered to me regarding my E2 Equalizer Hitch, especially being in another country.  
The local hitch installer totally botched up the brackets, drilling the holes larger, to the point of being unusable.  Sent the pics to Fastway and deemed them unsafe and obviously couldn't guarantee safety.  Don't want to get into too much detail but feel they went above and beyond.  Do have other pics that look very similar to the other brackets that were altered.  Anyway, big thanks to Fastway. 
RPOD 172 HRE & Ridgeline
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>