R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWetbath conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wetbath conversion
    Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 9:06pm
Hello all,  I am shopping for my Rpod now.  Really wish that Hood River edition was available in Texas, but oh well.  What I really want to ask is if anyone has converted the wetbath to a dry bath.  By that I mean remove the toilet altogether and create a "shower closet", essentially.  I know I'm VERY unusual with this but I don't think I'll ever use the toilet but I would use a good shower.  Just wondering if there is anyone else who felt this way.  As far as I can tell everything else about the Rpod is exactly what I'm looking for.  Thanks. 
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 9:31pm
The shower is very useable with the toilet installed. And the toilet is useful as well.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 8:32am
One of the big selling points of r*pods is the wet bath.  If you don't want the toilet you can probably get by a lot cheaper with another brand of camper and just buy one of those instant shower things. 

We camp a lot at off-times and sometimes when we are just about the only people in the campground I prefer the privacy of the campground facilities, but in the middle of the night when it's cold and raining, having your own bathroom right there sure is nice.

For a shower, the pod's bathroom is infinitely better than nothing, but it's a tight fit!  We camp a a lot of campgrounds with no showers and I have gone three or maybe four days without a shower when tent camping.  I've used the pod shower maybe ten times now, and we got the pod used, so if what we paid was just for the shower, I'm down to about $1000 per shower now.  Well worth it!

TT
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 8:48am
I suppose that technically you aren't really converting it to a dry bath if you want to keep the shower in play.  I've never seen nor heard of anyone removing the toilet but I wouldn't imagine it would be that difficult to do ... disconnect the water line and cap it, remove toilet, seal the holding tank hole and fill in the hole on the floor.  The one thing I would say is that in doing so it is greatly going to diminish the appeal of any trade-in or re-sell value on the Pod down the road.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 9:29am
I agree that removing the toilet takes away functionality you may find you like eventually.  When we bought our popup we didn't use the wet bath at all (shower or toilet), partly because I really didn't want to deal with the black water since popups usually have "cassette" toilets where you pull a tank out and have to haul it to a sewer outlet or toilet.  Not as nice as just hooking up a sewer hose.  When we finally had no choice but to use the shower (kids getting older) we started using the toilet too and realized we shouldn't have resisted.

That said, going with what P&M said, as long as you make the conversion in a way that you can go back before reselling it then you'll be ok.  So don't fill up the hole in the floor with 3 pounds of cement or chop off the water hose.

Another conversion to consider, I've posted this before.  If you just want more room consider cutting out the interior walls so they are just higher than the toilet and leave the toilet in place.  This is how our popup was.  With a wrap-around soft curtain you had all the elbow room you needed, and when the curtain was rolled up to the ceiling while not in use it made that area feel much more open.  I've considered doing this with our pod.  You can even add a top to make it a shelf when not being used as a shower.  Our popup had this too but I ripped it out - a big pain to move everything off the top and open it up to use the bathroom, then put it all back.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 9:55am
The toilet makes a great seat when showering.  Love it.
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 5:26pm
I have no problem with the campground shower and bathroom facilities, (so far...)

The Florida State Parks to which we gravitate have clean, safe facilities that I use
whenever I can to reduce the gray and black water accumulation in the 'Pods
holding tanks.

Joyce, who is a little more demure, prefers to shower in the 'Pod, and finds it
quite acceptable, if a bit confining.

We both prefer the facilities at night and / or in the inclement weather to a trek to
the bath house.  I think the R-Pod is well designed for our present needs.
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
fender_fella View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 7:05pm
Well thanks for the input everyone.  I didn't think this would be a very popular idea, but I know myself and what I really want in the camper.  I have a pop-up now, no bathroom, and at first I was sure that I wanted a "hybrid" with tent beds but when I saw the Rpod a light went off.  It's a great camper.  Currently I have to use campground facilities and I don't mind at all, but I would like to shower in private.  I prefer leaving the other "business" somewhere else.  Maybe I could get by with a cheaper camper if you have a suggestion.  I want all fiberglass (including roof), queen bed, u-dinette, and about 20 feet long.  I just described the Rpod 178.  I seriously would LOVE to hear about another camper that has all of that.  And techntrek I do like your suggestion but in the 178 there is an entertainment wall that I wouldn't want to sacrifice.  I may be too hasty about removing the toilet but I just want to "enjoy" my shower, not feel awkward or uncomfortable using it.
And BTW - these forums are just another reason to appreciate the Rpod, the loyalty.  I know Casita's have this too but I think it's great.  Thanks again.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 7:37pm
The bottom line is that if it is your camper you can do what you want with it.  You may wind up with something that is hard to sell.  A guy I worked with had dogs that he took to shows, so he bought a brand new class a motor home and took the master bedroom out for dog kennels.  When he wanted to sell it it sat for years.  To narrow a market.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 8:02pm
(On a related note- )

Has anyone installed an outside shower tied into the 'Pod's water supply.  I have
seen the recessed box and hand-held shower head in one of the RV supply
catalogs.  I imagine it would not be very hard to tie into the hot and cold sides
of the 'Pod plumbing.

(Something like this?)

Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>