Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing with a Hyundai

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing with a Hyundai
    Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 2:32pm
Last month we came back from a 6000 mile trip to the Southwest.  We owned a larger trailer (2800# dry weight) with our 200010 Santa Fe (V6, 284 hp) and kept it in sixth gear, which is the highest.  On many steep hills and up some of the mountain passes we temporarily locked it in fifth gear.  Overall, we averaged about 12.5 mpg.  I have not yet towed our R-Pod for any distance.

Now we own our R-Pod 173 which is considerably lighter.  I know many members tow with Hyundai vehicles and I am wondering what gears you normally use when you are towing.  I have noticed that in 6th gear, I press harder on the accelerator to maintain normal towing speed, while in 5th gear I run at higher RPMs but can ease up on the accelerator.  Which gear do you think would give the better gas mileage on the Interstates?

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Sleepless

Last month we came back from a 6000 mile trip to the Southwest.  We owned a larger trailer (2800# dry weight) with our 200010 Santa Fe (V6, 284 hp) and kept it in sixth gear, which is the highest.  On many steep hills and up some of the mountain passes we temporarily locked it in fifth gear.  Overall, we averaged about 12.5 mpg.  I have not yet towed our R-Pod for any distance.

Now we own our R-Pod 173 which is considerably lighter.  I know many members tow with Hyundai vehicles and I am wondering what gears you normally use when you are towing.  I have noticed that in 6th gear, I press harder on the accelerator to maintain normal towing speed, while in 5th gear I run at higher RPMs but can ease up on the accelerator.  Which gear do you think would give the better gas mileage on the Interstates?

Bob

I don't know about the Santa Fe but on most vehicles you avoid top gear when towing because it is an overdrive gear. This means that the gear ratio is less that 1 to 1, in case you did not know. In overdrive the transmission will heat up more which is bad for your transmission. Overdrive will give you better gas mileage but at the cost of your transmission maybe. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 1:00am

I agree, keep it out of overdrive.  Your 5th may be an overdrive, too, 5th and 6th are both overdrives on mine if I remember right.  However, in tow mode it only locks out 6th.  If you have a little extra power in 5th and your tranny temps are staying in a good range then just lock out 6th.

Does your manual discuss towing?

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 9:30am
Thanks for the comments.

The Santa Fe shares the identical engine in my Hyundai Azera Limited, both approaching 300 hp.  However, this rating is at 6300 RPM.  No one in their right mind would subject their vehicle to that.

At 60 mph, my Santa Fe is only turning 2000 rpm in 6th gear.  In 5th gear, it runs at 2300 to 2500, depending upon the load created by the terrain. In 5th, the ECO (economy) light frequently goes on, which is good.  Again I was pulling a trailer much heavier and wider than my pod. 

The service representative at my local dealer told me to just let it shift naturally, which put me in 6th unless I accelerate hard or am going up a slope.  6th gear does well in maintaining a conservative speed going down 6 or even 7% grades.  That has nothing to do with my question, but is a point of interest to me. 

Bottom line, I thing the service advisor didn't know the answer and simple told me to let it shift at will.  My owner's manual is full of towing information, but does not address how to manipulate the transmission.  I think the advice you gave, which confirms my thoughts, is correct.

Thanks again.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 12:42pm

Our TV is the 2008 Hyundai Veracruz.   We tend to let it shift itself unless it we are towing through hills or headwinds ... then I will manually shift at times to keep the RPM's lower and not overwork the tranny and engine.  With only a 3500# tow capacity we are more inclined to baby it a bit, take it slower, and keep the RPM's down.  I found that when left to it's own devices it is shifting in & out of gears @ the 60 mph mark more than I care for.

P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 1:14pm
That is pretty much what I experience with my Santa Fe.  If I use cruise control, it shifts more often so I don't use it when towing.  What helps me is to pick up speed going down hills and let the speed go down when going up hills.  We both have the same towing capacity and probably the same engine and transmission except mine is AWD.

When I was towing my 1600# boat, it seldom shifted gears.  But, the boat was lighter and much more aerodynamic than the pods.

Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply