R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery Not Charging

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Not Charging
    Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 8:23am
Originally posted by Sleepless

techntrek is probably correct.  However, I have sometimes salvaged marine batteries that have been very low on water.  Fill the cells with distilled water and put the battery on a charger.  It may come back to life although it may not have the capacity it once had.  It is probably ruined, but it is worth a try.
I used to to this with Motorcycle batteries at a dealership. We  recovered about 1 in five batteries. 
Sean
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Sleepless

... use a float type charger such as the Battery Tender or Battery Minder.  These will turn off automatically once the battery is fully charged...

... To find the battery voltage, isolate the battery first, then check its voltage.  That voltage will give you an indication if one or more cells are dead.

As techntrek said, you more than likely will need a new battery.

I was using a new Battery Minder but I'm not sure what condition the battery was in to start with.

I will check battery disconnected, tomorrow.

Where would I buy a "Deep Cycle" (?)  battery? Is there a certain rating I need?

Thanks, Bill
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 5:51pm
I always buy the Group 27 deep cycle batteries sold by Walmart for all my marine and RV needs.  Most tire dealers and auto parts stores sell deep cycle batteries, but I buy from Walmart because of their prices.  I am sure others will express other favorite sources of brands, but most of the people in my circles buy from Walmart, too.  Just be sure to purchase

Group 27 rather than the smaller Group 24 size.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 8:13pm
After leaving the battery charging in the Pod with shore power for 24 hrs, I disconnected the ground side of the battery and measured 11.5 volts across the terminals - that's good according to comments above. I opened the two water caps and checked water level - OK. I put the ground back on, disconnected the shore power (TV not connected) and turned on 3 sets of LED lights and running bathroom fan for 10 mins. They all ran/looked great!  I did a battery check on inside panel ... All lights on panel  - OK.

BTW, the charging voltage reported earlier was actually 13.5 V after I zeroed the meter.

I'm going to leave battery in OFF position (I have master on/off sw) and measure voltage tomorrow.  If that is good, I will do a load test (LEDs & Fan on) and see how long they last.

Maybe it isn't toast?
Bill & Bev
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 8:26pm
If your battery is fully charged, 11.5 volts may possibly be indicative of a bad cell.   It should be in the 13 -13.5 volt range.  Most auto supply stores, tire stores, etc., will normally test your battery free, just to be safe. 

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 10:40pm

Yeah, 11.5 is a bad reading for a fully charged battery.  Normally that voltage says the battery is half full.  I guarantee if you do a load test the battery will quickly fail (low voltage).

I second the Wal-Mart marine recommendation.  I built a 22 kw battery bank (16 batts) about 4 1/2 years ago and their batteries ended up being the cheapest per amp.  You can spend 2-3 times as much on a true deep cycle high-end battery but for the number of times most people camp per year - or over 5 years, the typical life of a battery - you'll get more for your money with the marine batts from Wal-Mart.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 6:35pm
Costco's Kirkland brand deep-cycle batteries are also good value for money.

When shopping for batteries, make sure it says "Deep Cycle" - for your r-pod, avoid "Marine Starting".  The thicker plates in a deep cycle battery will give you more longevity.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 10:02pm
I did my load test on the battery ... 3 LED lights on and fan in bathroom.  After 3 hours the panel 'battery check' indicated 3 of 4 lights. After another 4 hours, still was at 3 of 4. Since I use 'only' battery rarely and I'm otherwise connected to TV or shore power, Is it really worth getting a new battery?

After 7 hrs, LED's were a bit less bright, and fan ran a bit slower.
Bill & Bev
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 11:17pm
Bill, a true load test is conducted by applying a high wattage drain to the battery.  I use a 1000 watt load tester and within seconds I can tell the condition of the battery.  For example, 13.5 volts may drop as low as 7 or 8 volts.  LED lights and the Fantastic fan don't draw all that many volts to reliably test the battery condition.

During your test, were you connected to shore power?  Assuming you were not, check the voltage at the isolated battery again to see if there was a voltage drop.  I have used "damaged" deep cycle batteries to run my shrimping lights or for other non-critical uses, but I never trust them as a primary house battery in a trailer or a boat.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12